HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
lawn mower maintenance
Posted by: i don't know ()
Date: March 17, 2009 08:30PM

looking for a place near the burke/fairfax area to do routine maintenance on my mower... any suggestions? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lawn mower maintenance
Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 17, 2009 08:37PM

There used to be a really good shop but they tore it down to build the new firehouse.

There's a place off Fullerton Rd, on Boudinot that works on them. They're good.

Posted by: clifton ()
Date: March 18, 2009 10:36AM

the shop on Fullerton was pretty good, but it closed a couple of years ago.

Try Belmont Power on Newington Rd in Lorton.

Posted by: clifton ()
Date: March 18, 2009 10:42AM

belmont power: 703-550-1750

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 18, 2009 01:45PM

what the hell is "routine maintenance" when it comes to lawn mowers, changing the oil? isnt this something you can do yourself?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: March 18, 2009 01:55PM

Brandell's Power Equipment on Pickett (just before the post office). I used to take my mower there for a tune-up every other year, but it really seemed like a waste of money, so now I just change the oil and air filter myself. I do, however, have them sharpen my mower blades. I have three for my Toro that I changed every 3-4 weeks and it makes a huge difference in the quality of the cut. The cost is about $10.

They did a good job when the self-propel feature broke and it was a lot easier than trying to do it myself.

FWIW, if you are in the market for a mower and are looking at brands like Toro or Honda at a big box store like Home Depot or Lowe's you should really check out a shop like Brandell's. Pricing is about the same, but you get a much better product...aluminum deck, superior engine, extra features and better warranty. Toro does not make it easy to get replacement parts or warranty work on its consumer products, but it is not an issue if you buy a professional-grade mower.

Date: March 18, 2009 02:00PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what the hell is "routine maintenance" when it
> comes to lawn mowers, changing the oil? isnt this
> something you can do yourself?

I agree. I have a pretty difficult lawn to mow and the most I have had to do is replace the wheels, oil and blades (I had a Craftsman for 10 years and the only reason I replaced it was because it was under-powered for the slope I have). Odds are if you need work on the motor, it is probably cheaper to buy a new mower.

Date: March 18, 2009 02:06PM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > what the hell is "routine maintenance" when it
> > comes to lawn mowers, changing the oil? isnt
> this
> > something you can do yourself?
>
>
> I agree. I have a pretty difficult lawn to mow and
> the most I have had to do is replace the wheels,
> oil and blades (I had a Craftsman for 10 years and
> the only reason I replaced it was because it was
> under-powered for the slope I have). Odds are if
> you need work on the motor, it is probably cheaper
> to buy a new mower.

But then, again, you have people like a neighbor of mine who burned out two motors in a brand new Honda mower before realizing he needed to put oil in the mower. (First-time homeowner who came from a Third World country).

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 18, 2009 03:02PM

I had a mower with a spark plug, and occasionally I would also have to clean the primer out. Some of the two-cycle fuel I used wasn't mixed well and would gunk up the primer. This was aside from the blades, oil, and sometimes the wheels and height levers needed to be adjusted. Most of that other stuff is straight engine repair and I recommend getting an experienced pro for that crap.

Posted by: MensHealth ()
Date: March 18, 2009 06:59PM

There's actually a really good little article on this exact subject in this month's Men's Health magazine....

Posted by: dono ()
Date: March 18, 2009 07:22PM

Dude, look up the model no. and order new filters, blade and anything that is broken from the manufacturer. If the gas was in there all winter and not stabilized pour it out (tip mower on side and capture gas - you can put it in you car tank if you want), drain the oil and replace, change the spark plug. While you are changing the plug shoot some carb cleaner in the hole, fill the tank replace the oil and turn her over while the carb vapors are still in there and she will purrr.

Posted by: VaGal ()
Date: March 18, 2009 11:46PM

Sears Service Center (Just South of Springfield Mall)
Springfield, VA
703-719-6029

From Springfield Mall, go south on Loisdale Road (parallels east side of I-95), then turn left on Springfield Center Drive. Follow the road past the GSA storage depot and the NOVA College Health Training Complex on the left. The road will curve to the left and the Sears Service is on the right, with a small parking lot in front. They used to work on any brand of mower, but best to call and check first.

Haven't been there since last summer, but don't think it's closed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.