HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Board members supportive of I-66 toll proposal
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: July 05, 2013 08:44AM

Board members supportive of I-66 toll proposal
Orange Line extension also could contribute to relief in congested corridor
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130703/NEWS/130709645/1117/board-members-supportive-of-i-66-toll-proposal&template=fairfaxTimes

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors likely would endorse a proposal to add tolled express lanes to Interstate 66, depending on the specifics of the proposal.

Last week, Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) announced that the state has issued a request for information to solicit private sector input on approaches to relieving congestion on I-66.

The state would consider using tolled express lanes on the highway to finance such a proposal.

While members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors initially were concerned that state transportation officials were writing off the possibility of future Metrorail and Virginia Railway Express extensions in the corridor, board Chairwoman Sharon Bulova (D-At large) said they since have been assured that is not the case.

She says she would support a proposal that used toll lanes as a financing mechanism, provided that it adds capacity to the highway and “if the state won’t do anything that will make it expensive or impossible to extend Metrorail.”

Extending the Orange Line farther west on I-66 is a more distant proposition, Bulova said, but she believes any interim projects must not preclude that option.

Extending VRE service to Gainesville and Haymarket in Prince William County is a shorter-term project, Bulova said, that could possibly occur within the next five years.

Supervisor Pat Herrity (R-Springfield), who has been pushing for action on I-66 for years, is optimistic that the request for information will yield results.

“I am ecstatic about the RFI and that we are going to go out and look for a solution, and hopefully one we can implement quickly,” he said.

The Capital Beltway never would have been widened if not for the 495 Express Lanes, which opened last fall, Herrity said. The state’s private-sector partners were able to come up with a less-costly way to accomplish the construction and came to the table with their own financing.

He hopes the private sector will come up with a similarly innovative approach to dealing with the most challenging stretch of I-66, the most narrow section between Route 123 and Interstate 495.

Both Herrity and Bulova say one of the biggest advantages of adding express lanes to I-66 is that it would allow for new express bus routes or a bus rapid transit system.

BRT is “a logical precursor to rail,” Bulova said.

Express lanes also would provide more incentives for carpoolers, potentially taking more cars off the road. I-66 does have a single HOV lane now that is open to cars carrying two or more people and to some hybrid cars, even if the driver doesn’t have any passengers.

Right now, Herrity said, that doesn’t provide enough of a time advantage to encourage carpooling or make buses run faster.

Responses to the state RFI are due in late November. More information is posted at www.I66ppta.org.
Attachments:
AR-130709645.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Board members supportive of I-66 toll proposal
Posted by: Questions ()
Date: July 05, 2013 12:00PM

Where will they find the room on 66 between 495 and Monument? Even an elevated roadway would require supports that there might not be room for. I bet no Metro extension to 234 or beyond if this happens but bus lanes a la I-110 in L.A. combined with tolled express lanes are probably better anyway.

Posted by: lolwtf ()
Date: July 05, 2013 12:07PM

Not sure if I am missing it or some backstory, but what is this aiming to accomplish? The roads are are terrible congested and they want to turn some of the existing lanes into toll roads? There's not really room for widening as far as I can tell and there's no way the tolls could recover the cost any time soon that it would take to widen the road. Turning some of the lanes for part of 66 into a toll rd would just worsen traffic while making some money.. to be used for what exactly?

Also, what does VRE or other solutions in Prince William County have to do Fairfax County? It's not like this money would be used to pay for solutions into PWC.

Posted by: Broken Logic ()
Date: July 05, 2013 04:18PM

lolwtf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure if I am missing it or some backstory, but
> what is this aiming to accomplish? The roads are
> are terrible congested and they want to turn some
> of the existing lanes into toll roads? There's not
> really room for widening as far as I can tell and
> there's no way the tolls could recover the cost
> any time soon that it would take to widen the
> road. Turning some of the lanes for part of 66
> into a toll rd would just worsen traffic while
> making some money.. to be used for what exactly?
>
> Also, what does VRE or other solutions in Prince
> William County have to do Fairfax County? It's not
> like this money would be used to pay for solutions
> into PWC.

It's the first three lines...

>The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors likely would endorse a proposal to add >tolled express lanes to Interstate 66, depending on the specifics of the >proposal.

>Last week, Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) announced that the state has issued a request >for information to solicit private sector input on approaches to relieving >congestion on I-66.

>The state would consider using tolled express lanes on the highway to finance >such a proposal.

Yep, the Republicans found a way to screw us again!

Posted by: Fucking amazing ()
Date: July 05, 2013 07:48PM

So while the 495 HOT lanes sit empty, the state has already forged ahead with the I95 lanes, and now think they will "fix" 66? Is no one paying attention to the Beltway? It is the same it has always been. They don't fucking work. Stop taking bribes. It is the only logical explanation for the pol's continued support of these shitty things.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 05, 2013 10:40PM

Fucking amazing Wrote:
> So while the 495 HOT lanes sit empty, the state
> has already forged ahead with the I95 lanes, and
> now think they will "fix" 66? Is no one paying
> attention to the Beltway? It is the same it has
> always been. They don't fucking work. Stop
> taking bribes. It is the only logical explanation
> for the pol's continued support of these shitty
> things.

The Beltway express lanes work great for people who pay to use them.
The 95 express lanes will add capacity in a place where it is sorely needed. My opinion is that the 95 express lanes will be extremely useful. We will have to wait and see of course. If they do work, then it will be a model demonstrating that such lanes would be helpful on 66 as well (although I am as perplexed as anyone else as to where they will fit on 66 between 495 and Nutley, where there is no more room). 495 is a very different road from 66 and 95, which are rather similar roads.

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: July 05, 2013 10:56PM

Fucking amazing Wrote:
> So while the 495 HOT lanes sit empty, the state
> has already forged ahead with the I95 lanes, and
> now think they will "fix" 66? Is no one paying
> attention to the Beltway? It is the same it has
> always been. They don't fucking work. Stop
> taking bribes. It is the only logical explanation
> for the pol's continued support of these shitty
> things.

The fucking politicians are taking bribes for sure! McDonnell is turning out to be just as much as a dirty crook as his Democrat counterparts.

The HOT lanes are the single biggest waste of space in the area, and sit empty every day with lazy cops sitting any place they can on them looking for people speeding. The only people who use them are HOV 3+ but many people just ride with the switch set to HOV to ride for free anyways, so they aren't making any money this way. I honestly am able to go faster on the regular lanes on the beltway, doesn't really matter the time of day.

We would be much better off if they would simply widen the highways where possible, adding more lanes for public use without a toll. This is the only realistic way to reduce traffic.

Posted by: Not for or against but ()
Date: July 06, 2013 10:02AM

I am not sure whether I am for or against this project yet. But I think you guys are missing the part in the RFI where it requires the private company to also show increased capacity in the non-tolled road portion. Not sure how they can do this but from driving 66 from 495 to FFX Co Parkway alot I have noticed between those locations alot of the problem comes from bad ramps and people cutting across from left lanes to the far right lanes at the very last second. Also the Nutley traffic jam is caused by road problems on Nutley IIUC, something that is currently being addressed in the short term plans for the county.

I think if the private company makes those ramps work better and fully separate out the HOV lanes so there is a separate off ramp for those also then there is a decent chance that 66 could be improved for non-tolled people also.

Also, theres always Right of way acquisition that could allow for widening. They would need about 10 to 12' in order to be able to maintain the shoulders, which I think everyone would prefer.

Posted by: oleguy ()
Date: July 06, 2013 10:06AM

Get outta my land you yuppies! I miss the good old days where I could go 60 mph the whole way from DC to the end of 66 without any need to slow down because of traffic AND not get ran down by you BMW luxury car driving punks!

Posted by: Road Musings ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:29AM

Except the Beltway HOT lanes *have* had an impact. Traffic times are down slightly along that stretch of 495. They've also improved on the stretch of 495/95 around Alexandria with the completion of the Wilson Bridge/Telegraph Road project which expanded the Beltway to 5 lanes each way (2x3-local/express) for the two odd mile approach to the bridge.

The numerous improvements made to 495 along with the HOT lanes made the project worthwhile. The state didn't have the money. The I-66/495 interchange alone would have been monumentally expensive for the state to take on by itself. The old interchange was a clusterfuck. That's a benefit that non-HOT users are getting paid for largely by Transurban and the toll users. And don't forget that HOV users do get a toll exemption.

Listen, I don't love HOT lanes. They suck. But the alternative - doing nothing, sucks a hell of a lot more. And I-66 is fucked in its current condition and is going to get worse. HOT lanes will probably have to be part of the solution (or rather the "palliation" to use a medical term - because I-66 is not going to be *solved*. It's almost impossible).

That doesn't mean, incidentally, that regular lanes should be "stolen" by converting them to HOT. (I think converting the HOV-2 lane to HOT-2 would be OK). It means extra capacity.

The Governor's Transportation package has finally replenished VDOT's coffers after many many years. But unless you want to have higher taxes than Maryland or the District - or you want to jack up gasoline taxes (a political nonstarter - the legislature effectively *lowered* them for now in the transportation package) - tolling of some sort is going to be part of the solution.

The money just isn't there even now.

Incidentally, the ramp metering system employed on I-395 and I-66 inside the beltway should probably be extended further westward along the I-66 corridoor. People seem to think it's useless (probably because traffic really is god-aweful in this area). But studies have shown that it does ease congestion slightly (~5mph or so) - at the expense of possibly backing traffic up onto arterials depending upon the ramp setup & load. But it's a really cheap band-aid and should definitely be employed.

Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: July 08, 2013 06:37PM

Part of the problem on the innerloop near the Legion Bridge is the clusterfuck on the Maryland side of the Beltway associated with the I-270 junction and the merge to three lanes where 495 turns east to Bethesda.

The Governor is opening the shoulder of 495 to the Legion Bridge on the Virginia side, but it's still going to be problematic until (if) Maryland gets off its ass and spends some of its jacked up tax money on improving its side of the Beltway. The Montgomery portion of 495 is a giant clusterfuck and has been for years.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: July 09, 2013 07:14AM

Why cant i66 be solved? Knock down some buildings and widen it.

Posted by: Broken Logic ()
Date: July 09, 2013 07:17AM

Road Musings Wrote:
> Except the Beltway HOT lanes *have* had an impact.
> Traffic times are down slightly along that stretch
> of 495. They've also improved on the stretch of
> 495/95 around Alexandria with the completion of
> the Wilson Bridge/Telegraph Road project which
> expanded the Beltway to 5 lanes each way
> (2x3-local/express) for the two odd mile approach
> to the bridge.

But is that due to the changes or the fact that school is out?

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:42PM

The real issue with 66 is inside the Beltway. While I am happy to explore the idea of hotlanes on I66, they should go from Arlington to Gainesville, not just outside the Beltway.

Date: July 09, 2013 07:20PM

Brian,

An easy band-aid is to convert the HOV-2 lanes outside the Beltway to HOT-2 lanes. Funnel the money directly into I-66 improvements. (I suggest a similar setup on I-64 and 264 in Hampton Roads. The HOV lanes on I-64 are incredibly underutilized. Turn them into HOT lanes and funnel the money into I-64 expansion/improvement.)

Yes, I-66 inside the beltway is a clusterfuck. But Arlington County is the roadblock there. Until the state decides to steamroll over Arlington and play hard(er) ball than it has (Tim Hugo notwithstanding), nothing is going to improve on that section of the highway.

And while I-66 inside the beltway is, as noted, a clusterfuck...I think the section between 495 and Fair Oaks is just as sorry, at least in practice.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 09, 2013 07:36PM

Toll lanes on 66 is a stupid idea, there is no realistic place to put them.

VA needs toll lanes on 95 and 85 near the NC border. $3.

Delaware charges $4 to drive the few hundred yards that is that state. It would hardly be unfair to the snowbirds going to FL and the riffraff going to Atlanta and the Carolinas.

I'd be happy to pay if the money is going to Mother Virginia, besides, everyone else is doing it.

Date: July 09, 2013 07:56PM

WingNut,

I actually liked the idea of a toll on 95 near the NC state line. I was sad that idea got foreclosed on as part of the transportation bill. Southside politicos (D's & R's) were apopleptic. There was at one time (not sure if there still are) a ton of billboards and painted trucks off of I-95 south of Richmond that said "Tell Governor Bob McDonnell. No Tolls I-95!".

As a sidenote: Delaware's toll is perhaps the most offensive (to me) of any toll road I've ever driven on. It's the most expensive toll road on a per-mile basis in the country. I-95 in Delaware is only 18 miles and a good portion of folks don't even travel that whole route, leaving at I-295 to head over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the NJ Turnpike and I-295 in NJ. Fortunately there is an easy way around it that takes about 5 minutes.

Date: July 09, 2013 07:57PM

Road Musings Wrote:
> WingNut,

> As a sidenote: Delaware's toll is perhaps the most
> offensive (to me) of any toll road I've ever
> driven on. It's the most expensive toll road on a
> per-mile basis in the country. I-95 in Delaware is
> only 18 miles and a good portion of folks don't
> even travel that whole route, leaving at I-295 to
> head over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the NJ
> Turnpike and I-295 in NJ. Fortunately there is an
> easy way around it that takes about 5 minutes.

Go Blue Hens.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: July 09, 2013 08:23PM

Road Musings Wrote:
> Fortunately there is an
> easy way around it that takes about 5 minutes.

I read an article where a reporter asked Delaware State Police about bypassing that toll booth and they said it's legal (no traps). I always bypass it going to Philly.

Date: July 09, 2013 08:29PM

jim143 Wrote:
> Road Musings Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fortunately there is an
> > easy way around it that takes about 5 minutes.
>
> I read an article where a reporter asked Delaware
> State Police about bypassing that toll booth and
> they said it's legal (no traps). I always bypass
> it going to Philly.

It's totally legal, I always hit the WaWa at the state line. If I'm coming home from up north and it's crush hour, I'll do 896 to 301 and come across the Bay Bridge missing three tolls.

It's an extra 12 miles but so much less aggravating and a little cheaper.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: July 09, 2013 08:39PM

If you really want to be cheap, you can get one of the special Hatem Bridge EZPasses (formerly the little stickers for your car windows) that give you unlimited trips over the US40/Hatem Bridge for a rather low fee vs the $8 I-95 toll. It's an extra 10 minutes or so

The amusing thing is that the people in Havre de Grace love the shunpikers as it brings in alot of revenue to restaurants and mini-marts.

Date: July 09, 2013 08:43PM

40 is a pretty depressing strip there and lots of stoplights.

I'll have to check into the pass though, nice heads up.

Posted by: Commuter ()
Date: July 09, 2013 10:40PM

What are you smoking? Beltway traffic between Springfield and Gallows has gotten worse since those HOT lanes opened. Is VDOT/Transurban somehow sabotaging the general purpose lanes to funnel more traffic and revenue into the HOT lanes?

Road Musings Wrote:
> Except the Beltway HOT lanes *have* had an impact.
> Traffic times are down slightly along that stretch
> of 495.

Posted by: xzxczcxczx ()
Date: July 10, 2013 07:16AM

Commuter Wrote:
> What are you smoking? Beltway traffic between
> Springfield and Gallows has gotten worse since
> those HOT lanes opened. Is VDOT/Transurban
> somehow sabotaging the general purpose lanes to
> funnel more traffic and revenue into the HOT
> lanes?
>
> Road Musings Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Except the Beltway HOT lanes *have* had an
> impact.
> > Traffic times are down slightly along that
> stretch
> > of 495.

This is an effort to generate revenue to support the roads and infrastructure.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.