HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
am I an alcoholic if I drink myself silly once every couple of months? Where is the AA in Fairfax County?
Posted by: Am_I_an_alcoholic_or_not ()
Date: March 02, 2009 01:47AM

I don't drink on a regular basis, not even with meals.

However, once every couple of months, I drink myelf silly. Maybe two 6-packs
of beers.... sure, I feel like s*it the next day, but then it goes away...
and I don't drink any alcohol for another couple of months...

Does this make me an alcoholic?

Just in case the answer is "YES, where is the AA in Fairfax County?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: am I an alcoholic if I drink myself silly once every couple of months? Where is the AA in Fairfax County?
Posted by: no ()
Date: March 02, 2009 01:53AM

no.

Re: am I an alcoholic if I drink myself silly once every couple of months? Where is the AA in Fairfax County?
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:38AM

AA doesn't have some regional office where people meet. They meet at churches, community centers, and other private venues.

Posted by: asshat ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:49AM

Am_I_an_alcoholic_or_not Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't drink on a regular basis, not even with
> meals.
>
> However, once every couple of months, I drink
> myelf silly. Maybe two 6-packs
> of beers.... sure, I feel like s*it the next day,
> but then it goes away...
> and I don't drink any alcohol for another couple
> of months...
>
> Does this make me an alcoholic?
>
> Just in case the answer is "YES, where is the AA
> in Fairfax County?

I'd say, if you have to question whether you are or not, or if you have to limit yourself to a certain amount over a period of time- than yes you may be an alcoholic. Drugs start becoming addictions when they interfere with your regular life- if that has happened, than yes

Posted by: dono ()
Date: March 02, 2009 04:12AM

Go to an AA meeting they wont bite. Google it and talk to some of them its free. Also they are in the phone book.

Posted by: Bill Wilson ()
Date: March 02, 2009 04:29AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> AA doesn't have some regional office where people
> meet. They meet at churches, community centers,
> and other private venues.

Actually, they do have a regional office, and their world headquarters is in NYC.

They have an office in Vienna. It used to be across from Amphora, in the mid-rise building next to the pool supply store. I'm not sure if they are still there. It is staffed by "anonymous volunteers" and all they do is answer the phone for people who are looking for a "where and when" or help in getting to an AA meeting.

They even own or lease spaces around the area, like the place in Falls Church, I think it is called "city club" or something, on the corner of 7 and washington blvd. They have 24 hour meetings and even dances on weekends.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 02, 2009 04:49AM

I stand corrected.

Date: March 02, 2009 05:02AM

Am_I_an_alcoholic_or_not Wrote:
> I don't drink on a regular basis, not even with
> meals.
>
> However, once every couple of months, I drink
> myelf silly. Maybe two 6-packs
> of beers.... sure, I feel like s*it the next day,
> but then it goes away...
> and I don't drink any alcohol for another couple
> of months...
>
> Does this make me an alcoholic?
>
> Just in case the answer is "YES, where is the AA
> in Fairfax County?

When you drink, does your personality change? By that, I mean, do your friends tell you that you are different when you drink, or are you pretty much the same person, only less inhibited? If you're normally a happy person, and you become angry when you drink, or if you are normally an angry person, yet you become happier when you drink, then you may have a drinking problem.

Do you forget who drove home, or how you got home, or who you went home with, after you drink? If so, you may have a drinking problem.

Have you ever been arrested because of your behavior when you've been drinking?

Have you lost a job or been kicked out of school because of your drinking?

Have you ever woken up and found bruises, cuts, or other injuries that you couldn't remember acquiring?

Have you ever avoided people because they were critical of your drinking? Do you only seek out the company of people because they drink the same amount or as often as you do?

People who are teetotalers will say that just about any drinking behavior is a sign of alcoholism. But they can't know shit unless they've been there themselves. I went to a treatment center at 24 for drinking and smoking pot. My life was upside down and directionless. I went to AA for 3 years after treatment. I was the person who made coffee at two meetings, I set up chairs at another, and was a treasurer of another meeting. I remained sober for 10 years.

After a while, I figured out that I was only an "alcoholic" in the sense that I was genetically inclined to drink. However, I did not have the classic signs of problem drinking. I functioned well both drunk and sober, both intellectually and in the motor-skill sense. I only partied because I was young, healthy and socially active.

If you are having trouble maintaining your social, spiritual and physical well-being because of drinking, then you may be an alcoholic. If you drink and end up doing things you regret, you might be an alcoholic. If you can't keep a job, keep getting thrown out of school, houses, etc, you might be an alcoholic.

Just from experience, the fact that you are self-aware and self-critical enough to be asking these questions indicates that even if you are "genetically predisposed towards alcoholism", you probably have the awareness to prevent your drinking from destroying your life.

If you want to learn more, contact the NV intergroup and find an "open" meeting to attend to observe real "alcoholics" who have really hit rock bottom and have real hard life stories that you can use to compare against your own.

Northern Virginia Intergroup
8501 Lee Highway
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
(703) 876-6166
info@nvintergroup.org

Go to a few open meetings and you'll learn what a real alcoholic is, as opposed to the conventional wisdom or mainstream perception. The YMCA has lunch-hour meetings, but to really get a sense of what a true alcoholic is like, you need to go to a friday or saturday night meeting at a church or community center.

Real drunks are actually pretty cool when they sober up, too. Don't be afraid to make a friend or two at those meetings, even if you decide that your drinking career isn't over.

BTW, I drank 12 - 18 beers a night, practically every night, for 2 years straight until about 6 months ago. Then I just stopped drinking every night and have probably had 18 beers in the past 6 months. No reason, no troubles, that's just the way it worked out. I can go out with friends and drink myself silly every night, or I can have a few beers while relaxing and watching TV. I go with the flow, and I enjoy myself either way.

Date: March 02, 2009 05:26AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> I stand corrected.

Me too. Apparently they moved from Vienna to Fairfax.

Northern Virginia Intergroup
8501 Lee Highway
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
(703) 876-6166
info@nvintergroup.org

But to be fair to you, they are not a centralized organization in the classic sense. They operate mostly on a "viral" model that is completely decentralized and disorganized.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 02, 2009 07:46AM

There's the Unity Club in Falls Church and I think it's called the Liberty Club that used to be at Gallows and Columbia in Annandale.

I went there years ago trying to help stoploss some legal troubles I had. I never believed a word of it coming in, but in all honesty it's an eye opener and not a bad experience. There are a few obsessive, needy and cliched people who will get on your nerves, but like life there's always going to be those damned imperfect human beings everywhere you go.

It's free to go to and there are some good folks there.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: March 02, 2009 09:49AM

You're a binge drunk...so am I. However, I wouldn't mess up my breath with a 12-pack....I start with a 36-pack and go from there.

As long as you can handle it ie. don't drive, beat the wife and kids and shit, I don't see the problem. I've been doing it for 30+ years.

Personally, I drink alone in my barn, tinkering with my antique tractors and motorsickles all night long. I don't bother anybody out there (except my sister's horses...I think they get tired of my shit, but what do they know....horses are dumb as hell).

Posted by: Otis Campbell ()
Date: March 02, 2009 10:37AM

A six-pack? You've got to be kidding. Thats just a breakfast appetizer. Rookie!

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 02, 2009 10:53AM

Alcoholism is a myth.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 02, 2009 10:54AM

Tubby,

You rule, man.

tubby Wrote:
> You're a binge drunk...so am I. However, I
> wouldn't mess up my breath with a 12-pack....I
> start with a 36-pack and go from there.
>
> As long as you can handle it ie. don't drive, beat
> the wife and kids and shit, I don't see the
> problem. I've been doing it for 30+ years.
>
> Personally, I drink alone in my barn, tinkering
> with my antique tractors and motorsickles all
> night long. I don't bother anybody out there
> (except my sister's horses...I think they get
> tired of my shit, but what do they know....horses
> are dumb as hell).

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:39PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Alcoholism is a myth.

So true!!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 02, 2009 02:46PM

AA is for quitters.

Posted by: Elwood P. Dowd ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:44PM

Mr. Cracker, two martinis please!

Posted by: Egbert Souse ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:46PM

I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink. That's the one thing I'm indebted to her for.

Posted by: Sammy Septictank ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:46PM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Posted by: The BunnyMan ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:53PM

I will sponsor you if you like. You cant contact me 24 hours a day. BUT I guarantee you will stay on the wagon. My only price is all the cuban cigars you can give me and the phone number of a really good baby sitter. Im a bunny man for christ's sakes and have a LOT of kids. Some I know about others I dont. Hey, You'd drink too if you had this many kids! My fave t-shirt is "daddy drinks cuz I cry"

Date: March 02, 2009 04:29PM

This thread is now about alcoholic pride.

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com

Represent, you lushes.

Posted by: DontADmit ()
Date: March 02, 2009 05:12PM

Get a DUI and put thru the "intake meeting" and EVERYONE is a alchy....I agree with the simple statement that is it interferes with normal life then you have a problem.

Posted by: YeahRight ()
Date: March 02, 2009 05:54PM

AA around here is a joke. Bunch of self serving idiots. They pretend to care, but really couldn't give two shits about you if you don't put money in the collection plate. Yeah, that's they way to get sober. Give them all your money so you CAN'T drink.

Posted by: ?? ()
Date: March 02, 2009 06:55PM

Never do they ask for money or pass a collection plate around at AA

and no, you're not an alcoholic dude, you're just an idiot. drink everyday like a real fucking man.

Date: March 02, 2009 08:07PM

AA is just addiction replacement; you quit drinking, but start going to meetings and mainlining coffee.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: March 02, 2009 09:42PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> AA is just addiction replacement; you quit
> drinking, but start going to meetings and
> mainlining coffee.

And chain-smoking cigarettes like a motherfucker.

You need a gas mask in those places. (or at least you did 30 years ago when I was, ahem, sentenced to attend a few meetings...)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.