HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where is there a good place in Northern Virginia to get the best deal on tires?
Posted by: Wheelie ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:16PM

Where's the cheapest/best places to get tires here in Northern Virginia?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where is there a good place in Northern Virginia to get the best deal on tires?
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:20PM

Tirerack.com

Re: Where is there a good place in Northern Virginia to get the best deal on tires?
Posted by: WGtLN ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:21PM

Costco can be good sometimes.

Posted by: JV9nG ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:23PM

Costco. But they don't do alignments. And they only take cash or American Express.

Posted by: some guy ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:35PM

Sam's is probably the cheapest if you have a membership card, or borrow one.

Tirerack for best selection and quality of installation (you choose the tech from a pretty large list).

Date: July 02, 2013 09:09PM

some guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Tirerack for best selection and quality of
> installation (you choose the tech from a pretty
> large list).

You dont have to use Tirerack's list. They will ship to whoever you want to do the the install.

Posted by: seafoodlover ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:21PM

I got 4 Goodyears installed on my car for <$350 out the door at Walmart, taxes, rod hazard, and free lifetime rotation too believe it or not!!!! Check their flyers, they are always having a sale! Just go in the store and order the tires and they are good about getting them in the next day to be installed. I ordered tires at 5pm on a tuesday and they called me 7am wednesday to say my tires were there waiting to be installed- got there at 9 and was out by 10:30, including an oil change! Not bad!

Date: July 02, 2013 10:24PM

I wouldnt let a Wally World employee empty my colostomey bag.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:30PM

Costco is awesome, except that they're too damn busy to get it done quickly... at least when I can get over there to get tires.

Costco has great customer service. They'll take care of any problems. I have seen some tire stores be real dicks about their own mistakes. I have had them try to scam me on some services too.

Going to Wal-Mart is just begging for trouble. I'd buy a new car before going to them.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:35PM

Agree on Tirerack. They really are the cheapest, especially when it comes to Michelins.

Posted by: Ex3Xt ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:50PM

The only bad thing about Costco is that they can be a real pain about non-OEM sizes, or speed/load ratings, or mixing tires, and some stuff like that. They just plain won't do it in some cases. If you're going with four and it's a standard size, rating, etc., then they're fine and they don't play the nickle and dime bs.

Posted by: lolwtf ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:54PM

Definitely Tirerack... esp if you have non-standard sizes wheels.. like 19"+ ..

Otherwise go to Costco if you want to buy them direct from a store vs online.

Posted by: some guy ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:58PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> some guy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Tirerack for best selection and quality of
> > installation (you choose the tech from a pretty
> > large list).
>
> You dont have to use Tirerack's list. They will
> ship to whoever you want to do the the install.

True. Shops don't universally accept Tirerack though. Especially when they sell tires themselves.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: July 02, 2013 11:15PM

>True. Shops don't universally accept Tirerack though. Especially when they sell tires themselves.

Well fuck them then. You can always find somebody who'll put them on for you. My place made a big deal about not 'guaranteeing' the tires which they would do if I'd bought them from them. This is bullshit anyway - they'll guarantee the install anyway and chances are your tires'll be fine till you need a new set. Tirerack for me.

Posted by: watch 'em ()
Date: July 03, 2013 12:43AM

Some modern tires are "asymmetrical", meaning that the tread pattern is different on one side of the tread than the other. They are not directional but they have an "inside" and an "outside".

Virtually none of the fucking beaners that mount tires anywhere know this. I bought 4 new Michelins the other day and 3 of them were mounted wrong. I'd have never noticed it if I hadn't been checking the manufacture dates of the tires. I've been looking at other peoples' cars and most of them have at least one tire mounted inside out.

Posted by: ffx yuppie //m5 ()
Date: July 03, 2013 02:16AM

watch 'em Wrote:
> Some modern tires are "asymmetrical", meaning that
> the tread pattern is different on one side of the
> tread than the other. They are not directional
> but they have an "inside" and an "outside".
>
> Virtually none of the fucking beaners that mount
> tires anywhere know this. I bought 4 new
> Michelins the other day and 3 of them were mounted
> wrong. I'd have never noticed it if I hadn't been
> checking the manufacture dates of the tires. I've
> been looking at other peoples' cars and most of
> them have at least one tire mounted inside out.

+1, also had this problem in the past. I didn't notice until I went 140, car started shaking really bad. Turns out the tires were uni-directional tires and mounted incorrectly.

Posted by: The bags of Stabitha ()
Date: July 03, 2013 08:01AM

Stabitha Wrote:
> I wouldnt let a Wally World employee empty my
> colostomey bag.

You wear a colostomey bag? Medical or sick sexual stimulation?

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: July 03, 2013 09:16AM

some guy Wrote:
> Stabitha Wrote:
> -----
> > some guy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > > Tirerack for best selection and quality of
> > > installation (you choose the tech from a
> pretty
> > > large list).
> >
> > You dont have to use Tirerack's list. They will
> > ship to whoever you want to do the the install.
>
>
> True. Shops don't universally accept Tirerack
> though. Especially when they sell tires
> themselves.

I have had good luck getting tire shops (both Curry's and Mr. Tire) to price match Tire Rack. Not for the price of the tire, but for the complete install since you need to factor in shipping. Plus, most shops have a different installation price for tires that are purchased elsewhere.

Tire Rack quoted $525 for a set of 4 General Grabber HTS for my Mazda Tribute and I paid around $575 at Mr. Tire with installation when I bought the tires there. If I had them shipped from Tire Rack the installation was an additional $50 and I had this done the same day.

The other thing about Tire Rack is that they have good surveys and ratings which help you compare tires. Most shops push a limited number of brands, but they may not be best for your car. For example, the General Grabbers I bought are rated just behind comparable Michelins, but at 2/3 the price.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: July 03, 2013 12:36PM

>The other thing about Tire Rack is that they have good surveys and ratings which help you compare tires.

It's the first place I look at when I'm considering tires - the customer reviews are especially helpful.

And I too got my tire place to price-match 2 sets ago. They were okay about it too - I told them the price I could get from Tire Rack which was lower even give the extra 50 per tire (25 bucks per for shipping, plus 25 bucks each for the shop to mount them). They dropped their price to match, we shook hands. Next time they couldn't match it (tire rack was having a special) and they were cool about that too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.