HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Road being built through Backlick Rd. neighborhood by Rt. 1?
Posted by: Blblitbac ()
Date: July 02, 2013 04:10PM

Does anyone know anything about a road being built by Backlick Rd. over off of Route 1 near the Ft. Belvoir Tailor, Burger King, Canterbury Square, Accotink United Methodist Church? I heard at least one home will be demolished out of eminent domain, and through the grapevine, I heard the whole neighborhood might be as well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Road being built through Backlick Rd. neighborhood by Rt. 1?
Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 02, 2013 05:49PM

They are adding lanes to Route 1, but it will be a little more complicated than that. Part of the process involves shifting existing lanes. One casualty of this apparently will be the stable across from Woodlawn plantation.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: July 02, 2013 05:51PM

I assume you aren't referring to Mulligan Road? That road is under construction from roughly the intersection of Route 1 and Route 235 (Mount Vernon Memorial Highway) near George Washington's Grist Mill and it will connect to Telegraph Road just east of Hilltop Golf Course and a short distance west of Hayfield Secondary School; it is supposed to open prior to the new Wegmans. The road is intended to help restore a version of the link that was taken away when the Army closed off Beulah Street and Woodlawn Road after 9-11.

But I think where you mean is on the other side of Fort Belvoir?

Posted by: emmet grogan ()
Date: July 02, 2013 06:45PM

As mandated by Congress (as a result of BRAC) the Federal Highway Administration will be widening a 3.4 mile segment of Route 1 at Fort Belvoir, between Telegraph Road and Mount Vernon Memorial Highway. Here's the FHWA website on the project, with lots of information and illustrations:

http://www.efl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/Rt1_ftbelvoir.aspx

Posted by: Blblitbac ()
Date: July 03, 2013 08:00AM

Thank you for the information, folks. It seems like there was a little bit of confusion to the area I was describing, but right now it sounds like the 3.4 mile segment being widened probably clarifies what I was hearing.

To be more specific about the area, however, the area I am thinking of is right before you get onto the Fairfax County Parkway going westbound on Route 1. Right after you go under the Gunston Rd bridge and the old railroad bridge, there is a little area of homes and businesses on the right side. I was hearing about someone on Anderson Ln, which is off to the right just before you get to 7100. This person is having to move because their home is being demolished to clear the area for a road being built.

Thank you,
Blblitbac

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: September 02, 2014 08:54PM

Hi i live in this neighborhood, the house across from the church graveyard, the one with the chalkboard out front. They are tearing down 7-11, Burger King ,Hess Station front half of Canterbury Square, the front half of the crackpartments along with the barbershop,the other gas station and both strip malls bye bye Mama Muns rock club aka Paradise club. They are taking all of Anderson lane and 6 houses up Backlick for a 5 story condi complex later, Our house are safe for now. They will tear down the railroad bridge and make the bridge over Accotink 14 feet higher.

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: September 02, 2014 09:20PM

Not Mulligan rd. It was renamed Jeff Todd in memory of the owner of Roy Rogers who died in a car accident in North Carolina, Great guy.

Posted by: NigsNiggleton ()
Date: September 02, 2014 09:28PM

Posted by: Doug ()
Date: September 02, 2014 09:48PM

Is Jeff Todd the the Phillipino looking guy?

Posted by: wwnEt ()
Date: September 02, 2014 11:50PM

So they're finally taking out those shitty apartments outside the gate? FINALLY!

Posted by: New Ride ()
Date: September 03, 2014 12:50AM

Hard to believe but true. I drove through the new road last week and they already had a speed trap set up. Speed limit 40.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.