HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Express Lanes: Do You Use Them?
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: June 28, 2013 08:25AM

Express Lanes: Do You Use Them?
What would make you use the Beltway Express Lanes and do we need more of them?
http://mclean.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/express-lanes-do-you-use-them

Officials overseeing the area’s highly touted new Beltway Express Lanes recently increased the speed limit from 55 to 65 mph, but is that enough to make you start using them?

Are more of these toll lanes the solution to ease traffic congestion? Express lanes are currently under construction for I-95 and should be completed in 2015. What about a proposal for these toll lanes on I-66?

While E-Z Pass adoption is rising, more than half of Beltway riders don’t have them and so can’t travel on the special lanes.

Some Patch readers say the High Occupancy Toll, or HOT, lanes are too expensive.

“…These so-called Lexus Lanes are an economic failure, they simply are not being used enough and that is because they cost too much,” commented Patch reader Kevin Shaw. He says the cost for him is usually over $4, which for his commute averages about $1 per minute.

Joseph M. lamented the lack of transparency in the decision-making process to raise the speed limit: “Will the state receive any additional payments? Who knows?? -- because it's all 'confidential' as part of the private-public partnership.”

And reader RJ offered that no drivers actually follow the speed limit anyway: “I doubt anyone has even driven under 65mph on it since it opened. Almost everyone is going 70-75mph.”

The Express Lanes opened last November with a dynamic tolling system based on demand, time of day and other factors. Commuters can pay via EZ-Pass to use the express lanes to avoid the congestion of the mainline Beltway lanes. Carpools of three or more people may use the lanes free with an EZ-Pass Flex.

In the first quarter of 2013, the Virginia Department of Transportation and Transurban, which run the lanes in a public-private partnership, reported nearly $2.5 million in revenue and more than 26,000 average daily trips on weekdays.

That’s a big improvement from the project’s financial rocky start. In the first six weeks of its operation, the lanes reportedly lost $11 million.

Not every locality is as fortunate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Express Lanes: Do You Use Them?
Posted by: sometimes I'll pay ()
Date: June 28, 2013 08:33AM

I am fortunate enough not to need to Beltway for my daily commute. Once or twice a month, I find myself heading up to Baltimore or farther north.

If my smartphone traffic app says the Beltway is fucked up between I-66 and the VA/MD state line at Potomac, MD, I'll spring for the $1.30 as it saves me about 15 minutes and probably 60 cents worth of gas not chugging along in stop-n-go traffic.

Posted by: McDollar signs ()
Date: June 28, 2013 07:03PM

I don't see a problem, my boys from down under threw some extra shrimp ($$$) on the barbie for me.

Posted by: awful article ()
Date: June 28, 2013 08:40PM

"In the first quarter of 2013, the Virginia Department of Transportation and Transurban, which run the lanes in a public-private partnership, reported nearly $2.5 million in revenue and more than 26,000 average daily trips on weekdays"

"That’s a big improvement from the project’s financial rocky start. In the first six weeks of its operation, the lanes reportedly lost $11 million."

Net income (loss) is not the same as total revenue. Scam article.

Posted by: morons in nova dont understand ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:12PM

i take it every day to avoid the morons clogging the norther virginia roads. worth the $1.10

the problem is nobody understands what the lanes are for. people really think they are HOV lanes.

have fun sitting in traffic!

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:23PM

Answer.NO. too much money. the wool was pulled over all our heads, This was supposed to be a Beltway widing project that we all suffered through for what 4 - 5 years then .. Surprise Suckers!

In any event what hoops do you have to go throught to EVEN USE this sucker if you wanted Too?? Credit Card online?? Thats B.S! How much of a pass do you have to buy.. What a pain in the ass no wonder few people are using it! where can I buy a pass 7-11 for cash??

"F" all the Northern Va members on the state general assembly for letting everone down as fools with this. Throw ALL there sorry asses out.

Posted by: Gordon Gecko ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:25PM

awful article Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "In the first quarter of 2013, the Virginia
> Department of Transportation and Transurban, which
> run the lanes in a public-private partnership,
> reported nearly $2.5 million in revenue and more
> than 26,000 average daily trips on weekdays"
>
> "That’s a big improvement from the project’s
> financial rocky start. In the first six weeks of
> its operation, the lanes reportedly lost $11
> million."
>
> Net income (loss) is not the same as total
> revenue. Scam article.

Thanks for pointing this out. An obvious apples to oranges comparison. I doubt those lanes will ever turn a profit, which is why they didn't state how much they lost in the first quarter of 2013.

Posted by: Mode: HOV ON ()
Date: June 29, 2013 07:44AM

Over 7 months and not one cent paid.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:06AM

We should invade Australia for the annoyance, and for Transurban making all of us fools.

Posted by: Express Lane Jihad ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:29PM

Mode: HOV ON Wrote:
> Over 7 months and not one cent paid.

+1, here too! Hee hee...

And better yet? Not one time have I been pulled over and not one time have I ever been ticketed. 10 full-length trips per week, times 7 months, times 30 minutes MINIMUM at least on each trip...shit, it's putting YEARS back on my life! For FREE! Oh you fucking mopes...you fucking stupid, bumper to bumper mopes!

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:45PM

Express Lane Jihad Wrote:
> Mode: HOV ON Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Over 7 months and not one cent paid.
>
> +1, here too! Hee hee...
>
> And better yet? Not one time have I been pulled
> over and not one time have I ever been ticketed.
> 10 full-length trips per week, times 7 months,
> times 30 minutes MINIMUM at least on each
> trip...shit, it's putting YEARS back on my life!
> For FREE! Oh you fucking mopes...you fucking
> stupid, bumper to bumper mopes!

I have to start doing this more, as I only have driven in the express lanes two times, and both for free with the HOV mode!

Who the hell would actually pay the outrageous rates when the traffic on the beltway isn't usually as bad as I-66 most of the time? Only ride them for free.

The speed limit increase is just PROOF that the limit is so artificially low on the regular roads. Only seniors or illegal Mexican's in white vans go 55 MPH, while the rest of us are doing 80+. FUCK the low speed limits. I go at least 85 MPH each day and don't have any problem if I'm in the farthest left lane. If I get a ticket I just laugh it off and pay the damn ticket, factoring it in as a transportation expense in my budget.

Raise the limit on the express way to 90 and I assure you I would pay to use the lanes, and so would many others. It's time for us citizens to fight back against these absurd restrictions in our lives. I encourage all to speed, but in a safe manner.

Posted by: Funny money ()
Date: June 29, 2013 06:01PM

Gordon Gecko Wrote:
> awful article Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "In the first quarter of 2013, the Virginia
> > Department of Transportation and Transurban,
> which
> > run the lanes in a public-private partnership,
> > reported nearly $2.5 million in revenue and
> more
> > than 26,000 average daily trips on weekdays"
> >
> > "That’s a big improvement from the
> project’s
> > financial rocky start. In the first six weeks
> of
> > its operation, the lanes reportedly lost $11
> > million."
> >
> > Net income (loss) is not the same as total
> > revenue. Scam article.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. An obvious apples
> to oranges comparison. I doubt those lanes will
> ever turn a profit, which is why they didn't state
> how much they lost in the first quarter of 2013.

Right. They're not going to have any true "net income" for many many years if ever. And either way that all gets squirrelly depending on how they count things as allocated to it versus across the trans budget, how the amortize long-term costs, etc.

The better way to judge this is against the projected monthly/quarterly revenue that was expected and used as the basis for the deal which was cut. Anyone know where that might be?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.