HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
monty co. copter
Posted by: airwolf ()
Date: December 23, 2008 04:03PM

montgomery county fire and rescue has a SWEET helicopter. poops all over fcpd's. seen it rescuing ppl from the water main river.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: monty co. copter
Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: December 23, 2008 04:51PM

That was a Maryland State Police (MSP) helicopter that you saw during the water rescue. You are correct that they are a nice ride.

Does MoCo even have a helicopter program? It always seems like MSP or Park Police provides aviation support in Maryland.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 23, 2008 07:46PM

They used to have a helicopter "parked" outside a fire station in Rockville. Always thought is was a bit strange....

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:20AM

I saw a television show a few weeks ago, which was oddly about the Eurocopter (what MD St Police have) Vs. The Bell Jetranger (What FFX Co used to have...they now have the newer, very similar Bell 407). The Jetranger dominated the Eurocopter in all of the events with the exception of the 'engine failure' simulated auto-rotation glide ratio (how far it would glide if the engine failed).

I have no idea what bizarre station it was on...probably some HD channel as I don't think I'd have watched it otherwise.

Date: December 24, 2008 01:26AM

If you're interested in FFX County's helicopter unit...this is a pretty good article:

http://www.propilotmag.com/archives/2008/July08/A1_fairfax_p1.html

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:29AM

my understanding was always that medevac helicopters are too specialized in terms of interior and exterior equipment to be used for multipurpose stuff..

the article indicates otherwise, thoughts?

Posted by: Koolaid ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:36AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my understanding was always that medevac
> helicopters are too specialized in terms of
> interior and exterior equipment to be used for
> multipurpose stuff..
>
> the article indicates otherwise, thoughts?

That is correct. FFXONE is operated by Police officers who are also paramedics. So they can be used for both PD and FD work.

Posted by: Dr. Pepper () ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:04PM

I am no copter expert, but the MD state helo looks alot different than the two bells that FFXCO has (enclosed tail rotor?). Sounds alot different too. I was under the impression that the MD state unit is capable of much faster top speeds - does anyone have the specs on the MSP and FFX CO choppers? Just curious.

I also remember during the sniper crisis of 2002...Fairfax chopper was in the stratosphere and MD state or Park PD Eagle one was creasing the tree-tops (you could almost read the "Jet Fuel Only" on the uderbelly....lol).

Date: December 24, 2008 10:20PM

Dr. Pepper () Wrote:
> I am no copter expert, but the MD state helo looks
> alot different than the two bells that FFXCO has
> (enclosed tail rotor?). Sounds alot different
> too. I was under the impression that the MD state
> unit is capable of much faster top speeds - does
> anyone have the specs on the MSP and FFX CO
> choppers? Just curious.

Fairfax County - Bell 407
Stats from Wikipedia:

General characteristics

* Crew: 1 pilot
* Capacity: Typical seating configuration for seven comprising pilot and passengers, with five passengers in main cabin. Max hook capacity 1200 kg (2645 lb).[2]
* Length: 41 ft 8 in (12.7 m)
* Rotor diameter: 35 ft 0 in (10.67 m)
* Height: 11 ft 8 in (3.56 m)
* Disc area: 962 ft² (89 m²)
* Empty weight: 2668 lb (1210 kg)
* Useful load: 2347 lb (internal) (1065 kg (internal))
* Max takeoff weight: 6,000 lb (2,722 kg)
* Powerplant: 1× Allison 250-C47 turboshaft, 700 shp (520 kW)
* Propellers: 4 blade rotor

Performance

* Maximum speed: 140 knots (260 km/h)
* Cruise speed: 133 knots (152 mp/h, 246 km/h)
* Range: 324 nmi (372 mi, 598 km)
* Service ceiling 18,690 ft (5,698 m)

Maryland State Police - Eurocopter Daupin
Stats from Wikipedia:

General characteristics

* Crew: 1 or 2 pilots
* Capacity: 12 passengers
* Length: 13.73 m (45.06 ft)
* Rotor diameter: 11.94 m (39.17 ft)
* Height: 4.06 m (13.32 ft)
* Empty weight: 2,411 kg (5,315 lb)
* Max takeoff weight: 4,300 kg (9,480 lb)
* Powerplant: 2× Turbomeca Arriel 2C turboshafts, 625 kW (838 shp) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 306 km/h (165 knot, 190 mph)
* Ferry range: 446 NM, 827 km (514 mi)
* Service ceiling 5,865 m (19,242 ft)
* Rate of climb: 8.9 m/s (1,759 ft/min)

Posted by: Bell407 ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:32PM

One of Fairfax County's Bell 407's
Attachments:
Bell407.jpg

Posted by: Eurocopter ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:33PM

One of Maryland's Eurocopters
Attachments:
Eurocopter.jpg

Date: December 24, 2008 10:53PM

airwolf Wrote:
> montgomery county fire and rescue has a SWEET
> helicopter. poops all over fcpd's. seen it
> rescuing ppl from the water main river.

From WTOP [ http://media.bonnint.net/apimage/6ea1f8c8-9195-4da6-ab1e-0a4753219062.jpg ] it looks like the helicopter pulling people out was the National Park helicopter N22PP, which is a Bell 412EP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_412

General characteristics

* Crew: 2
* Capacity: 15
* Length: 41 ft 9 in (12.7 m)
* Rotor diameter: 46 ft (14 m)
* Height: 15 ft (4.6 m)
* Disc area: 1,662 ft² (154.4 m²)
* Empty weight: 6,759 lb (3,066 kg)
* Max takeoff weight: 11,900 lb (5,397 kg)
* Powerplant: 2× Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6T-3BE Turbo Twin-Pac turboshafts, 900 shp (671 kW) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 140 knots (161 mph, 259 km/h)
* Range: 463 mi (745 km)
* Service ceiling 20,000 ft (6,096 m)
* Power/mass: 0.2663 hp/lb (0.437 W/kg)

Posted by: FFX sucks ()
Date: December 25, 2008 02:13AM

Fairfax Copters look GAY. Hahaha

Posted by: airwolf ()
Date: December 25, 2008 09:09AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> airwolf Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > montgomery county fire and rescue has a SWEET
> > helicopter. poops all over fcpd's. seen it
> > rescuing ppl from the water main river.
>
> From WTOP [
> http://media.bonnint.net/apimage/6ea1f8c8-9195-4da
> 6-ab1e-0a4753219062.jpg ] it looks like the
> helicopter pulling people out was the National
> Park helicopter N22PP, which is a Bell 412EP

Later on it was the Park Service too. I guess their chopper doesn't go 306 km/h so they got there late.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=8131961&version=5&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1
Attachments:
mcc.jpg

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: December 25, 2008 09:15AM

Interesting - the Dauphin and 412EP are twin-engine, wonder why Fairfax chose the single-engine 407.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 25, 2008 11:57AM

Anybody remember when the FFX popo totaled one of their choppers? It was a long time ago, but I think they forgot to unplug it from the electric power unit and tried to take off. FAIL

If FU had existed at the time...we'd have had a ball with that one! LOL

Posted by: fx station ()
Date: December 26, 2008 12:29AM

didnt one of the md state choppers just wreck?

Posted by: Dumb ()
Date: December 26, 2008 01:29AM

FFX sucks Wrote:
> Fairfax Copters look GAY. Hahaha

I'm sure you will be worried about that when they are pulling your ass out of a bad situation.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 26, 2008 02:21AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> I saw a television show a few weeks ago, which was
> oddly about the Eurocopter (what MD St Police
> have) Vs. The Bell Jetranger (What FFX Co used to
> have...they now have the newer, very similar Bell
> 407). The Jetranger dominated the Eurocopter in
> all of the events with the exception of the
> 'engine failure' simulated auto-rotation glide
> ratio (how far it would glide if the engine
> failed).
>
> I have no idea what bizarre station it was
> on...probably some HD channel as I don't think I'd
> have watched it otherwise.

I think that was on Planet Green, of all channels. I forget if the jet ranger was converted to run on biofuel, or if it was just that the eurocopter was much more fuel efficient, but the show it was on is about comparing "eco friendly" vehicles to traditional vehicles. I've seen the same show cover an electric conversion of an older land rover versus a brand new gasoline land rover, and an electric vs gas ATV.

(if it wasn't planet green, then it was discovery science, but the same premise, and of course the same parent company.)

Posted by: slipslap ()
Date: December 26, 2008 05:25PM

fx station Wrote:
> didnt one of the md state choppers just wreck?

in september. they had 12 Dauphins, now 11 apparently.

Date: December 27, 2008 12:29AM

slipslap Wrote:

> in september. they had 12 Dauphins, now 11
> apparently.

Photos of the crashed helicopter in better days: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N92MD&distinct_entry=true

The NTSB is still investigating the crash. Here's the 'preliminary' report:
____________________________________________________________________________________
NTSB Identification: MIA08MA203
14 CFR Public Use
Accident occurred Saturday, September 27, 2008 in Forestville, MD
Aircraft: AEROSPATIALE AS365, registration: N92MD
Injuries: 4 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 27, 2008, at 2358, eastern daylight time an Aerospatiale (Eurocopter) AS365N1, N92MD, call sign Trooper 2 (T2), registered to and operated by the Maryland State Police, as a Public Use medical evacuation flight, was substantially damaged when it collided with trees and terrain near Forestville, Maryland. The flight had been cleared by air traffic control for an instrument landing system (ILS) approach to runway 19R at Andrews A.F. B. (ADW), Camp Springs, Maryland. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The commercial pilot, one flight paramedic, one field provider, and one of two automobile accident patients being transported were killed. The other patient being transported survived the helicopter accident and was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries. The flight originated from a landing zone located at Wade Elementary School, Waldorf, Maryland, on September 27, 2008, at 2337, destined for the Prince George’s County Hospital (PG), Cheverly, Maryland.

Review of the Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B), global navigation system used by the Maryland State Police for tracking and flight following revealed the medical evacuation mission request was received on September 27, 2008, at 2304:57, by the Maryland State Police System Communications (SYSCOM) duty officer. T2 was notified of the mission at 2305:10, and departed ADW at 2310:22 for the automobile accident site to pick up the two patients. The flight arrived at the landing zone at 2327:38, and after departing at 2357:54, diverted for ADW at 0001:56 because of unfavorable weather conditions at PG. The inaccuracies in times contained in the system were a result of the duty officers delay in making log entries into the system.

Review of communication transcripts for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Potomac Approach Control and ADW Tower revealed T2 contacted Potomac at 2348, and reported he was unable to complete a medical evacuation flight to PG because of unfavorable weather. T2 then requested an ILS approach to ADW and was issued radar vectors by the controller for the ILS runway 19R approach. The controller advised T2 that the most recent weather report for ADW showed ceiling 1,800 feet broken, visibility 10 statute miles, temperature 21 degrees Celsius (C), and dew point 19 degrees C. At 2355, T2 was instructed to contact ADW Tower. The ADW Tower controller cleared T2 to land at 2355:24. At 2355:50, T2 informed the controller he was not receiving the glide slope. The controller replied that the monitor panel was "green" (no faults). T2 then requested an Airport Surveillance Radar (ASR) approach. The controller responded she was not current and qualified to provide that service. There were no further transmissions received from T2.

A civilian pilot working for the Maryland State Police as Trooper 8 (T8), based in Norwood, Maryland, reported he overheard T2 on a scanner state he was unable to land at PG due to fog and was returning to ADW. T8 then looked at the weather for Gaithersburg, Maryland and ADW, which were both “good.” He also checked Tipton, Maryland, and College Park, Maryland, which were both below minimums with ceilings between 500 to 600 feet.

T8 added that the SYSCOM duty officer notified him at 0025 that T2 was missing, and requested he launch and head towards ADW. T8 departed Norwood, encountered low-level clouds 2 miles from ADW, and aborted the flight. After returning to Norwood, T8 and his medic proceeded in a vehicle to the area where T2 was thought to have crashed. Using the last radar return for the helicopter, T8 estimated where T2 might be located and set off on foot with his medic. They located the accident site at 0130.

The NTSB is engaged in a full and detailed investigation of the accident and a full report will be issued upon completion.

Index for Sep2008 | Index of months

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.