HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Welcome Home: Northern Virginia Drivers
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: December 11, 2008 02:50PM

So I was out of town on business earlier this week. I returned fairly late last night and was eager to get home. But as it turned out, I couldn't make the twenty minute drive without a reminder of how bad northern virginia drivers can be.

While driving on 28 South, I noticed an SUV that couldn't seem to stay in the lane. I proceeded cautiously, having no desire to be hit by a drunk driver. As we approached the night construction at Willard Road, traffic came to a stop. Well, most of traffic came to a stop. The SUV didn't quite stop in time, swiping the car in front of him as he swerved into my lane. I pulled onto the shoulder to avoid being hit. The SUV stopped briefly and then tried to speed off. Luckily, that was almost impossible given the traffic situation so the guy he hit was able to cut him off. However, a few minutes later the drunk driver and his passenger ran across 28 N and headed off towards 50 (leaving their SUV behind).

So while waiting for the police I noticed that many drivers were too impatient to wait through the construction delays. Instead, they used the shoulder to drive in reverse for maybe 1/4 mile to take the exit for 50. This behavior continued after the cop (with lights on) parked at the side of the road to get our reports. It wasn't until perhaps 10 cars passed that the cop was able to get away from his radio long enough to chastice one of the drivers. And I must admit that he made me laugh. I believe the conversation went something like this "What do you see wrong with what you're doing other than the fact that it is completely illegal? If I wasn't tied up with something else, I'd be issuing you a summons. Drive FORWARD."

Anyway, apparently they caught the guys that ran off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Welcome Home: Northern Virginia Drivers
Posted by: Another driver ()
Date: December 11, 2008 03:23PM

Funny Story! Even as sad as it may be.

Posted by: BeenThere ()
Date: December 11, 2008 03:45PM

When I first moved to this area I was astounded at how inconsiderate
drivers can be. Its always ME! ME! ME!. On the way to work in the mornings
you'd think the world will collapse if they have to slow down enough to be
reasonably safe. Honk! Honk! Zooooom!!! On the way home at the night
its the same way. I wonder why they do such stupid things. I once
watched an idiot in a 73 Pontiac (boat size) drive over the grass and down
a hill to drive around a fender bender on an entrance ramp to I-66 in
Roslyn. The car got stuck and when the cop came the drivers excuse was that he
was too important to be late for work. Bull$hit! The cop didnt believe it
either.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 11, 2008 05:23PM

Genevieve,

Should I return your Ninja?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 05:27PM by Lurker..

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: December 11, 2008 10:55PM

Return my ninja? Before you've even given it to me? I think not. When is it being delivered anyway?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.