HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Swim spots in NOVA?
Posted by: pancake ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:41PM

What are some good places to swim in NOVA? I'm not talking pools or water parks, but stuff like quarries, rivers, ponds, lakes, and reservoirs. I live in Loudoun county and the only place I know about is the beaverdam reservoir.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swim spots in NOVA?
Posted by: Stabitha ()

Blue Plains Water Park

Posted by: pancake ()

Oh, and cliff diving. Anybody know any spots?

Posted by: @pancake ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:56PM

You sound like a body recovery in the making...do us a favor and stick to the pools, so the first reponders dont have to risk their lives trying to save another moron like you!

Posted by: Perfect spot ()
Date: June 24, 2013 05:29PM

There are some great spots at great calls. Either side works. My favorite is off of the bill goat trail on the MD side. Good luck.

Posted by: Perfect spot ()
Date: June 24, 2013 05:34PM

Stupid autocorrect. It is Great Falls. There are never any comings from people that swim there.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: June 24, 2013 06:35PM

I went to Sandy Run area off Hampton Road which is off Rt 123 down in Lorton in 1970, was a rope swing there and would swim across that arm of the Occoquan. The Occoquan reservoir has lots of spots but is it legal I dont know anymore theres a spot on the reservoir called Jacobs Rock also. Go to the park and rent a jon boat check it out.

If you want some real open water swimming go to Sandy Point State Park in Maryland at the Rt 50 Bay Bridge, 6 dollars each for Va, residents 5 dollars for Md. , A great long beach at least 1/2 mile long with swimming areas bouyed off to keep out boats, lifegards, BBQ pits and tables, rental boats for fishing huge boat ramps, car launch canoe windsurf area on the Chesapeake Bay a rock jetty to fish from and a crabbing pier, this is where the "Great Chesapeake Bay Swim" across the bay is held each year in early June to the other side 4 1/2 miles away. Salt water and jellies in later summer.

Stay away from the upper Potomac River, its deadly.

LOL. "Blue Plains Water park" is great after a good rain If youre lucky you can bob for "brown sea trout"

Posted by: some guy ()
Date: June 24, 2013 06:52PM

You can swim in the Occoquan reservoir. Whether you should is up to you; it's polluted and considered dirty. I don't think it was PCBs or mercury, something else.

Beaverdam is clean, but you can't swim there legally. Ramifications depend on your age and ethnicity. Ashburn snowflakes usually get a slap on the wrist. Hispanics and Blacks (other than in the company of the Ashburn precious) are usually ticketed. Same with white trash / urban decay kids from Leesburg.

I'm pretty sure adults would get ticketed too as this is a juicy misdemeanor charge. Haven't seen this happen though.

Also, they've taken to towing cars if you park in the subdivision off Belmont Ridge.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: June 24, 2013 06:54PM

Sandy Point is a good spot, but that's not much better than the Potomac. Baltimore is just up the water from there, but so far I do have to agree that its the best spot for open swimming in our area.

Posted by: Good swimmer ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:01PM

I swim in the MILF's pussy down the street. Well, at least my sperm does. It is a good swimming hole.

Posted by: uHteG ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:02PM

Stabitha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blue Plains Water Park

rofl

Posted by: JNYF4 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:04PM

Ye Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> I went to Sandy Run area off Hampton Road which is
> off Rt 123 down in Lorton in 1970, was a rope
> swing there and would swim across that arm of the
> Occoquan. The Occoquan reservoir has lots of spots

Swimming above the dam (in the reservoir) is illegal, but you are highly unlikely to be caught. Strange how they don't allow swimming, because it is the water supply for Fairfax and half of DC, but they allow 2-stroke gasoline powered job boats boats to spray oil in the water.

Posted by: doghead ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:08PM

Last year I went into the river at Harpers Ferry. Must be ok as many other people were wading and swimming. Never saw the cops or anyone ordering people out. There are lots of fast moving water spots so I was surprised there wasnt a no swimming sign.

Date: June 24, 2013 08:25PM

Before you go jumping into various lakes, rivers, and creeks......remember Aimee!

http://aimeecopeland.com/

Posted by: Stabitha is a dumb bitch ()
Date: June 24, 2013 08:27PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Before you go jumping into various lakes, rivers,
> and creeks......remember Aimee!
>
> http://aimeecopeland.com/

The OP is asking about swimming. They said nothing about zip lines. I doubt that anyone wants to remember some chick we never heard of.

Date: June 24, 2013 09:26PM

Well doctor......she cut herself on a zip line and then fell into a contaminated river. That's what cost her her arms and legs you stupid shit.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 24, 2013 09:36PM

If you like to scuba dive, the Millbrook Quarry in Haymarket is pretty good. Lotsa stuff down there. I saw a bus and I think there is heavy machinery down there also.

Date: June 24, 2013 09:49PM

That quarry is closed to the public now.

Posted by: some guy ()
Date: June 24, 2013 10:09PM

JNYF4 Wrote:
> Ye Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I went to Sandy Run area off Hampton Road which
> is
> > off Rt 123 down in Lorton in 1970, was a rope
> > swing there and would swim across that arm of
> the
> > Occoquan. The Occoquan reservoir has lots of
> spots
>
> Swimming above the dam (in the reservoir) is
> illegal, but you are highly unlikely to be caught.
> Strange how they don't allow swimming, because it
> is the water supply for Fairfax and half of DC,
> but they allow 2-stroke gasoline powered job boats
> boats to spray oil in the water.

Boats with gasoline motors aren't allowed. Electric only. I would be really surprised if this weren't enforced as the crewing folks around the like would probably have a conniption.

Swimming isn't allowed because the reservoir belongs to FFX while surrounding land is Loudoun. In-fighting between the two counties keeps the area from turning into a cesspool of HOA-like rules and regulations oriented toward the lowest common denominator suburban vinyl-enclosed yuppy (with a brick front).

FFX has no interest in investment into the area because it's in Loudoun. Loudoun will not invest because the lake belongs to FFX. Loudoun once in a while tries to wrestle control from FFX and hopefully these efforts will continue to fail while I'm in the area. Apres moi, le deluge and all that.

Making swimming illegal is aligned with disclaiming liability in the event litigious souls (hardly any in this area) would sue for lack of lifeguards, defibrillators and emergency hotlines should a member of the precious flock fall in harm's way.

Were Loudoun to gain control over the reservoir, it'd probably turn into some morphodite of Lake Anna and Reston's very own Lake Newport.

The closest holes are in WV, North Fork of the Shenandoah, or the Rappahanock, around Fredericksburg. I don't know about the latter, but the former is polluted, PCBs and mercury, though not as bad as the South Fork. If you've stopped growing and aren't working on making kids, once or twice a month shouldn't have any more ill effects than general life. If you're thinking about bringing small kids there, I wouldn't.

While it's true that getting a ticket for swimming in Beaverdam is rare, should you get one, you'll have to deal with an MISD on your record. If you do this regularly and are an adult, it's practically guaranteed that one of those kind, non-litigious souls will report you, and Loudoun's finest will have no choice but to respond. This is obiously for your own good and the well-being of the community of which you are a valuable part.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 11:36PM

The Anacostia River though not in Fairfax, is a very clean river to swim in.
You can usually see the dead bodies before you touch them.

Date: June 25, 2013 12:03AM

Occoquan is between Fairfax and Prince William Co.

Posted by: Beaverdam ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:49AM

Beaverdam belongs to Fairfax City, not the county. THe city is in the process of buying into the county's water program, so they are planning on selling the resovoir to Loudoun County.

I used to swim in the resovoir back in the 90s. THere were tons of people there and no one cared. Of course, there were no subdivisions for miles. We also used to jump off the Sycolin Road bridge over Goose Creek. This was while the Greenway was under construction. I think they rebuilt the bridge and it is much higher now.

Posted by: Stay away from the Potomac ()
Date: June 25, 2013 10:13AM

Stay away from the Potomac. ANYWHERE The yearly drownings are so predictable because of currents.

http://www.wtop.com/41/3369514/Teen-goes-missing-on-Potomac

Go out to the Shenandoah near Front Royal- ride Compton Rapids. You'll have a ball.

Date: June 26, 2013 03:38PM

A 19 year old went swimming yesterday in the upper Potomac at Billy Goat trail as recommended in this thread, Montgomery Fire and rescue found his body todaay.

Posted by: again and again ()
Date: June 26, 2013 03:48PM

Ye Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> A 19 year old went swimming yesterday in the upper
> Potomac at Billy Goat trail as recommended in this
> thread, Montgomery Fire and rescue found his body
> todaay.

It happens ever year. Usually more than once.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.