HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mobile Auto Mechanic
Posted by: cosmic.artifact ()
Date: August 04, 2008 04:37PM

Hello, I am a trained and certified automotive mechanic and I am looking for side-work/jobs in the area. I can repair vehicles at my residence or at your home/business. I have reasonable labor rates starting at $35.00hr flat rate.

I am recently between job and have 15+yrs experience, no job too big or small. I have worked at most of the major chains in the area.

email - cosmic.artifact@yahoo dot com

professional clean and friendly service w/ printed recipts and 3.mo warranty on repairs, liscensed and insured.

( MOBILE AUTO REPAIR SERVICES LLC ) service that comes to you...

(703) 732-7165

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mobile Auto Mechanic
Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: August 04, 2008 04:51PM

I will write your e-mail address and phone number down, and if I have any sort of problems with my vehicle, I will be sure to notify you. I understand times are tough, and being in between jobs can you leave you empty-handed as well as not exactly busy, however, I do believe advertisements and/or virtual fliers like this should be posted in the Off-Topic section.

If there is something special that you deal with (that other mechanics don't), or if you have something (information, history, changes in our local community) then by all means, post on the General Forum, however if you are just trying to get the word out, I recommend the Off-Topic forum. I understand your needs, and I will address them if I have any problems. Thank you.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: August 04, 2008 04:54PM

Not sure about car repair, but do you know a good Zumba teacher?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 04, 2008 06:10PM

OMG......That thread still lives, eh?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 04, 2008 07:25PM

Would you be willing to check out a used car at a dealer? Im not necesarily looking for a mechanic yet, but good to have your number

Date: August 05, 2008 09:22AM

Ya know, that could be an interesting service. Whenever a person looks at a used car, they're always told to find a mechanic and have the mech give the once or twice over to ensure that everything under the hood or inside the frame is A.OK. Having a person on call to do that could be actually rather lucrative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 09:22AM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: August 05, 2008 09:32AM

Actually that is a good idea, like a car appraiser. Only probelm is that you would have to make a lot of contacts. You probably wouldn't get a lot of repeat business quickly.

Date: August 05, 2008 09:37AM

Word of mouth will definately be needed, and I agree repeat business would be hard since there isnt a tendency to buy a "new" used car every year...

Perhaps a fleet purchase or a contractor looking to buy several used side panel trucks would be a good customer.

Date: August 05, 2008 08:47PM

Thank You NoVa residents for reading...

This service I provide as a mobile mechanic I have been providing by word of mouth for some years now, I am a liscensed and insured business that I run in my spare time mostly on the weekends or after work hours during the week.

Today I have taken a service managers position for a private run store front auto repair facility. The economy and the auto repair business is in a bad slump right now. I have become pretty much fed up with the pay I have been recieving even from the dealerships in the area (who are supposed to have all the work) which they don't... It has become frustrating searching for that all elusive dollar these past 3 years. It is hard for me to believe that just back in 2003-2004 I was in the $80K range within ten months ! These past years have been quite terrible for us blue-collar types even though I am a trained and certified master tech, I mine as well have been a McDonalds worker.

There was a time and not too long ago where in this auto repair field I could look foreward making $100K yearly and could afford a house and raise a family ect. Gone now is all but the dream and there are many factors which brought it to this. Most of these places (specially the private owned ones) are not just ripping the customer a new a#@ when it comes to pricing but they are doing the same to the mechanics who keep their business alive. And the funny thing is, they really dont care anymore, they know they can find some who will do your same job at a fraction of your pay. So most all these private owners do not even consider quality of work anymore.

One thing I can say is everywhere I go (and I have ventured quite a few places over just the last 2yrs) mechanics/technicians are hurting all over the area.

Thanks again...

[[ MOBILE AUTO REPAIR SERVICES LLC ]]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 09:00PM by cosmic.artifact.

Date: August 05, 2008 09:40PM

So, would you be able to come to a dealer to look over a used car?

Date: August 05, 2008 10:05PM

RE:

Yes I am still available. MON-FRI evenings and SAT-SUN 9am/9pm.

Mostly I arrange large jobs for weekend work at my residence in Burke, (head gaskets/clutches/timing belts/30,60,90k mile services ect.) but for smaller jobs like brake services tune-up ect I can do at your location, as long as work is allowed to be done. Zoned parking and apt complexes are usually not allowed.

I am sure I can find the time to help you look at a used vehicle although. And I do have pre-purchase check list that I provide. A standard and an Extensive list. Email me and I will send you copys of both and the pricing.

contact info and email are in post above...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 10:14PM by cosmic.artifact.

Posted by: spoon ()
Date: August 05, 2008 11:46PM

I worked in the auto auto industry for 5 years and let me tell you, within the last 2 years, everything has gone downhill. I went from making $80k-$100k to $30k-$40k. Cars are getting better and the economy is going downhill. That's the only reason to explain it. And yes, you're right about quality of work, techs just don't care anymore. Even at dealerships, where warranty work is performed, techs don't care if you come back 5 times for the same problem.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 06, 2008 10:44AM

HA, What happen to computer repair?? Everyone and their mom thinks computer problems should be fixed for free..

Sucks, but we are in for some tough times ahead, and if it means taking the bus to put food on the table while the car is broken.. I think thats a no brainier for a lot of people.

Plus with gas prices so high, people are not driving as much, so less problems with cars..

Adam

spoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked in the auto auto industry for 5 years and
> let me tell you, within the last 2 years,
> everything has gone downhill. I went from making
> $80k-$100k to $30k-$40k. Cars are getting better
> and the economy is going downhill. That's the only
> reason to explain it. And yes, you're right about
> quality of work, techs just don't care anymore.
> Even at dealerships, where warranty work is
> performed, techs don't care if you come back 5
> times for the same problem.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 06, 2008 10:48AM

Is it really a bad thing, if people learn how to

*Change spark plugs,
*Change oil
*Change air filter
*Replace Battery
*Rotate Tires
*Check fluids of the car

Im not a car guru by any means.. but that stuff listed above would run you a 100-200 dollars in a shop, and is down right easy.

Adam

Date: August 06, 2008 04:20PM

If i Had a pair of jack stands, I would change my own oil.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 07, 2008 02:27AM

if I lived at a house or it was not illegal to fix your car in the street, I would never use the local garages for maintenance... what a rip they are.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.