HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good Butcher
Posted by: CowboyinVA ()
Date: July 23, 2008 10:35PM

My family and I are new to the area and are trying to find a local butcher that sells good, prime, steaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Butcher
Posted by: old country ()
Date: July 23, 2008 11:11PM

go to the old country buffet they have amazing cuts of meat at an affordable price its all cooked and ready to go but its a buffet so you have to eat their

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 23, 2008 11:35PM

Try costco, they will cut what you want right there.

Posted by: Sam ()
Date: July 24, 2008 07:58AM

Butchers pretty much don't exist anymore--at least not the way they used to. Most beef comes from giant slaughter houses like IBP or Excel cryovacced in boxes. At the retailer the pieces are cut into individual portions and repackaged. The old fashioned butchers that received hanging hind or fore quarters are mostly a thing of the past. There is an organic butcher shop out in Middleburg called the Home Farm Store that is fun to check out. Your best bet locally is Whole Foods. The new one in Fair Lakes has some very nice dry aged beef.

Posted by: Mike Sorce ()
Date: July 24, 2008 08:28AM

I second the recommendation for Whole Foods, but would also suggest giving Wegman's a try. The folks in the white coats seem to be well-trained and very willing and able to cut the roast or other items you may be looking for.

I would also recommend trying a halal butcher (my personal favorite is Amity Halal Meat & Grocery on Lee Highway http://www.amitymeat.com/index.html). May not be the first place you think of, but the meat beef, lamb and chicken is very fresh and the service is friendly. They also have the best feta cheese I have ever eaten and their olive prices are much less than you will find at larger stores. It is, however, an ethnic market which caters to a wide variety of people.

Posted by: Lorton Guy ()
Date: July 24, 2008 09:12AM

I would suggest Springfield Butcher just off on Old Keene Mill near the Springfield mixing bowl. Good steaks chicken etc. Been going their for years and its always good.

I have also found Wegman's to have excellent butcher shop too.

Posted by: Wrinkle ()
Date: July 24, 2008 06:49PM

I second the Springfield butcher. Excellent quality meat and a good variety.

Posted by: checkinitout ()
Date: August 01, 2008 04:51PM

I also recommend the Springfield Butcher. The folks in there are always freindly, the meat is great (I love the spicy ground sausage - makes great sausage gravy!).

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: August 01, 2008 06:20PM

We buy a lot of food from Whole Foods. A caveat is in order, however: check the place of origin on the package. We were very surprised to learn that Organic 365 vegetables, sometimes are products of China--these imports lack the careful federal controls as to US standards. Believe Washington Post had an article a few weeks back.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: August 01, 2008 07:14PM

Take a trip out to Maryland and check out the Laurel Meat Market on Main St in Laurel MD.

A sign in the front window says "Chickens slaughtered daily". How can it not be good?

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: August 02, 2008 02:54PM

"Let's Meat on the Avenue" on Mt Vernon Ave. in the Del Ray area of Alexandria. They get all of their meat from a farm in Virginia.

Posted by: ZP ()
Date: August 03, 2008 10:30AM

You should definitely try Let's Meat on the Avenue. All the meat is local, pasture fed and hormone free. Steve, the butcher, is from England and Australia and the shop is European-style, which mean he cuts to order and makes his own sausage and hamburger. It's on 2403 Mount Vernon Avenue and open every day but Monday. The meat is delicious. Do a search for more reviews. Enoy!

Posted by: never ()
Date: August 03, 2008 02:43PM

I've never been there, but there is a new organic butcher in McLean, called, wait for it... The Organic Butcher. It's in the old building to the right of Exxon on Old Dominion.

Posted by: buyingmeattoo ()
Date: August 04, 2008 11:14AM

never Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never been there, but there is a new organic
> butcher in McLean, called, wait for it... The
> Organic Butcher. It's in the old building to the
> right of Exxon on Old Dominion.

----------------

All is great advice....However, how competitive (meaning cheap) are these butcher stores? Whole Food meats are organic, but they are expensive, the same goes for Wegmans.

I remember years ago that we had a friend who only bought meats (the whole cow) for the whole year and freeze it, using meat as needed. Unfortunately, friend moved to OH, so I don't recall the address, but it is somewhere in Middleburg, VA. Keep in mind that although buying the whole cow is expensive, in the long run, you are paying 1.50 a lb if you have a big freezer... meaning cheaper.

I also agreed meats are better and fresher if bought at middle eastern markets.

Posted by: lucylam ()
Date: August 06, 2008 06:43AM

Butchers pretty much don't exist anymore--at least not the way they used to.you think of, but the meat beef, lamb and chicken is very fresh and the service is friendly.
===============================================================================
lucy

visit

orkut

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.