HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I too have a dream
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: April 04, 2008 07:41PM

That someday the people of Reston, and other boroughs, will be able to vote on the form of goverance they want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I too have a dream
Posted by: Sgt. Hulka ()
Date: April 04, 2008 07:50PM

Son, have you considered the Military? That's what we are all about.

Posted by: thinkbeforeyoutype ()
Date: April 04, 2008 07:57PM

right because the answer to more efficent services and lower taxes is to add another layer of government in a smaller political subdivision.

have you ever been up to new york, new jersey, or massachusetts? in this areas every little town has their own police department, fire department, school district, and every other government agency. sure on one level it sounds great that a small local group has control of everything....there is another side to this.

remember you still need a school superintendant, police chief, fire chief, director of public works and heads of every other agency that need to be paid good salaries to ensure you get quality people.

in addition you have to remember that in this smaller locations that very rarely have the special services you have come to enjoy as a fairfax resident. for example if there is a fire or disaster fairfax has 1500 firefighters, and almost 1500 police officers which allows for the flexibility to deploy large numbers of people and equipment very quickly.

also lets not forget about the wide variety of school programs fairfax county can offer as opposed to a small school district with one high school and a few elementary and middle schools.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 08, 2008 02:11PM

Do you really want Reston to become a city/town? Can you imagine what the politics there will be? If you thought Arlington County was liberal, just wait....

Date: April 09, 2008 09:16PM

A Virginia town would not have it's own police force or schools as a city would. The other level of government has been beat to death. The fact is we now have the RA and the RCC but no voice in the issues of the day.

And yes I do wonder what sort of goverment would be elected. Probally one that pays no attention to it's citizens!

Date: April 10, 2008 01:24AM

rod,

do you mean a town like herndon or vienna which each have their own police force?

or did you forget that fairfax county has these two TOWNS that each have their own police forces?

Date: April 10, 2008 08:57AM

Was thinking what "thinkbeforeyoutype" said. Shit, there are more police in the Town of Vienna than there are residents.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:11AM

Rod's real dream involves 2 black guys and a twister board...

Date: April 10, 2008 10:14AM

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:17PM

Now if you get rid of the Reston Association and make it the Town of Reston, that's one thing. But to add on the Town of Reston to the Reston Association ... ugh.

Also isn't there a law that says counties as densely populated as Fairfax can't form towns?

Posted by: icanread ()
Date: April 10, 2008 05:02PM

former,

you are absolutely correct. there is a state statute in virginia that forbids the formation of any new towns or cities if the population density is over 500 or 1000 people / square mile.

sorry reston....

Date: April 10, 2008 05:13PM

-Vienna and Herndon had preexisting police forces. A Virginia town doesnt have to but just use the county ass they currently do.

-The legislature has the power to allow Reston Citizens to become a town.

-That's essentially what we would do. Greatly diminish the RA. The town taxes would be tax deductible and hopefully a saving. The RCC would become a part of the town. With a mayor and town council anserable to the people. Hopfully the town would be more democratic and more interesting and fun.

Date: April 10, 2008 07:31PM

you are extremely short sighted.

this will either cost reston residents more money, or more likely they will expierence a significant drop in the services that are currently availible.

so rod lets say as you imply reston would keep county services such as police, fire, school, board of health, etc. reston residents would still have to pay for these services and on top of that THEN pay for whatever superflous level of government would then be set up in reston.

does this seem like a good finanical move to you?

personally i say if you want control, do it the right way and go 100% independent like falls church city...then see what happens to your tax rate........

also lets not exclude the fact that in general reston tends to run more liberal than the rest of the county and what would follow that in a reston control government? more programs and assistance to poor/homeless/illegal. these groups will then make their way to reston in even greater numbers than currently....which will also raise your taxes.....

Date: April 11, 2008 10:03AM

Well we do pay for the RA and RCC which it might be argued have overlaps. There are some people constantly skeptical. The average person has not had much say in what happens in Reston. For example we have a volley ball pool and nobody really plays water volley ball. There is no suggestion box at the RCC, though the memerandum of Understanding Governing papers say there should be. In fact there has been no citizen suggestion ever at RCC. There just has been no democracy in Reston. 3700 people signing a petition that is ignored is to me an indication that democracy is a very foreigh word in Reston.

Date: April 11, 2008 10:11AM

Rod,

if you guys biggest complaint is about volleyball maybe you should reform the RCC, which from what i can gather is a glorified homeowners association instead of forming a government.

for real problems you do have a BoS member dont you?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.