HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why do companies send white people in their 20s from far away states into Fairfax County neighborhoods to sell windows, gutters, siding, panels and shit like that?
Posted by: Why? Why? Why? ()
Date: April 20, 2013 01:57PM

The other day there was a 21 year old blonde walking in my neighborhood going from house to house knocking on doors trying to sell windows.

I immediately knew when I saw her walking across the street that she was not from here because you never ever see any blondes in their 20s walking in my neighborhood.
The only people who regularly walk in my neighbordhood are either little kids or the elderly.

I asked her where she was from and she said she was from Ohio.

Girl, you came all the way to Fairfax County from Ohio just to sell me new windows?

Why do companies send white people in their 20s from far away states into Fairfax County neighborhoods to sell windows, gutters, siding, panels and shit like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do companies send white people in their 20s from far away states into Fairfax County neighborhoods to sell windows, gutters, siding, panels and shit like that?
Posted by: Sooo Uooo ()
Date: April 20, 2013 02:04PM

So you can ask a stupid ass question on FFU.

Re: Why do companies send white people in their 20s from far away states into Fairfax County neighborhoods to sell windows, gutters, siding, panels and shit like that?
Posted by: HolyToledo ()
Date: April 20, 2013 02:26PM

Did you ask if her company had actually transferred her here? Unemployment is a little better in Ohio now but it depends on which area. I moved here from Ohio to look for a job and found one. Is this unusual? I think not.

Posted by: section 8 sharon. ()
Date: April 20, 2013 02:36PM

maybe they came here for the section 8 luxury condos, I know many do

Posted by: Every Year ()
Date: April 20, 2013 02:41PM

I think they just send them over here during the spring and summer months and then they go back to Bumfuckville

Posted by: Sales Dude ()
Date: April 20, 2013 05:17PM

FAirfax is filled with bureaucrats who make 100,000 dollars a year they can spend a few bucks on windows and siding. Clean cut and young white people are the best door to door salespeople and ones from the midwest are even better. People are not afraid to open their front door to these people.

Posted by: Do they... ()
Date: April 20, 2013 05:47PM

Sales Dude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FAirfax is filled with bureaucrats who make
> 100,000 dollars a year they can spend a few bucks
> on windows and siding. Clean cut and young white
> people are the best door to door salespeople and
> ones from the midwest are even better. People are
> not afraid to open their front door to these
> people.

Do they actually make a decent wage off of each sale?

Posted by: Sales Dude ()
Date: April 20, 2013 05:51PM

Good salespeople make well over 100 grand a year. It's a soul crushing job, though. Most make 25-40% of profits netted from each job.

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: April 20, 2013 06:02PM

It's usually a scam - not (only) against Fairfax residents, but against the workers. By sending the (usually) kids hundreds (sometimes) of miles away from where they live, the kids MUST produce. If they do NOT, they are fired - and, of course, can't get back home.

So they produce no matter how many hours it takes.

In addition, the folks who drive them here put them up in cheap motels and typically charge them for the motel as well as their food.

BTW, the people who are victims of this come in all flavors - a week or three ago some young highly-tattooed (*) chick came around selling windows or subscriptions or something - she was walking with a cane with her foot/ankle wrapped up. I commented that it wasn't exactly the right time to be walking around selling and she replied "I don't have a choice"...

This scam against the sales folks has been written about many times - a quickie google using the right search terms turns up article after article describing the horrendous ROI the kids get - they're MUCH better off at McDonalds.

It happens multiple times per year so the guys making the bucks obviously aren't going to stop anytime soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/us/21magcrew.html?fta=y&_r=0

===========

(*) Tattoos are NOT cheap - it's sadly amazing to me that someone struggling to live is spending whatever she makes on VERY expensive tattoos isntead of, you know, the future. Tattoos can come later.

Posted by: Sir Mix A Lot ()
Date: April 20, 2013 07:00PM

It's a dog eat dog world out there and I know these people going door-to-door are just trying to make buck, but it's just annoying when they approach you. On like 3 occassions, I've opened my garage to go out and throw the trash, get the newspaper or something of the sorts, and these sales people or some dude selling mulch services sees me. You then have to listen to their schpeal say no 5 times, listen to their rebuttals. It's just all an annoyance.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 21, 2013 08:14AM

Olde Farte is DEAD ON RIGHT. Lotsa shady/scummy fly-by-nights and sub-contractors work this way. Door to door with the coupon dealies, home alarm systems, what-have-you..................and they also flock the hardware superstores, bugging you about cabinet work and crap. SORRY KID I DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT MY HOUSE!

you gotta feel sorry for the kids................you see that glow of hope in their eyes and know it's gonna get faded out rather quickly ............and sometimes you see that faded kid you know your door is maybe their last one LoLz

Posted by: king of almost nothing ()
Date: April 21, 2013 09:18AM

Sir Mix A Lot Wrote:
> It's a dog eat dog world out there and I know
> these people going door-to-door are just trying to
> make buck, but it's just annoying when they
> approach you. On like 3 occassions, I've opened my
> garage to go out and throw the trash, get the
> newspaper or something of the sorts, and these
> sales people or some dude selling mulch services
> sees me. You then have to listen to their schpeal
> say no 5 times, listen to their rebuttals. It's
> just all an annoyance.

I used to have the same problem. I now tell them I am only housesitting for the owners who wont be back for a month and I have no authority to make any purchases such as windows. It stops them cold. In case they are seeking a place to break into they now know someone is stayiing there full time so its not good digs.

Posted by: Do they... ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:39AM

Do they think sending a 20 something white person from out of the area to my door is really going to make me buy something from them?

Posted by: Morton ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:53AM

Do they... Wrote:
> Do they think sending a 20 something white person
> from out of the area to my door is really going to
> make me buy something from them?

If you send a 20 something black dude from Anacostia people won't answer the door.

Posted by: LoLz ()
Date: April 21, 2013 11:01AM

Morton Wrote:
> Do they... Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do they think sending a 20 something white
> person
> > from out of the area to my door is really going
> to
> > make me buy something from them?
>
> If you send a 20 something black dude from
> Anacostia people won't answer the door.

LoLz

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: April 21, 2013 11:01AM

Most of them are scammers. When the shit falls off your house a month later you cant find them.

I remember back in 2000 there was a big hail storm in NOVA and fly by nights came from everywhere to sell roof jobs. A couple years later roofs were leaking all over the place. The contractors? Long gone and invisible.

Posted by: REPORT THEM ()
Date: April 21, 2013 03:24PM

Somebody needs to report them for exploiting young whites.

Posted by: Avennell ()
Date: April 21, 2013 09:39PM

I believe they have to have a peddlers or solicitors permit in either Fairfax or Loudoun County. Before they can get a word in, ask to see it, then go in and call the county government to see if it is real or fake. If it is fake, then call the police and have them come and pick up the solicitor. Most communities require them to have a permit, and most of them don't, especially if they are from out of state. If they are legal, "just say no" and walk away!

Posted by: It must really suck ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:53AM

It must really suck to have to go door to door selling shit in December, January and February in this area.

Posted by: Those white vans ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:47AM

These "white van" "companies" are owned by dirtbags who drive these drug-addled unfortunates from way out of state, keeping them under tight control with no way to get out other than to just run from the group minus their minimal "pay."

The article quoted above paints an accurate picture of these people. Most of the door-to-door people are harmless down-on-their luck dullards, but there's enough criminals in the mix that I just call the police when I see the vans..inevitably their keepers have no permits to peddle whatever junk (bogus magazine subscriptions, no-name cleaning products) they have that particular day.

Any sympathy I had for these people went out the window when some of them browbeat an elderly neighbor into handing over cash for a magazine subscription (which she never got)...

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:01PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Most of them are scammers. When the shit falls off
> your house a month later you cant find them.
>
> I remember back in 2000 there was a big hail storm
> in NOVA and fly by nights came from everywhere to
> sell roof jobs. A couple years later roofs were
> leaking all over the place. The contractors? Long
> gone and invisible.

A couple of them stopped by and promised it wouldn't cost me a thing, my homeowner's insurance would cover everything they did--as if it was just free money and I would never somehow pay for the claim later... They even insisted that there was hail damage after I told them that I had already checked and there was nothing to fix. Just a bunch of insurance fraudsters. To this day I still inspect and haven't had work done on the roof or siding and there have been no problems.

Posted by: Duh... ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:03PM

Why?

Because nobody would buy siding from a negro.

Posted by: Wouldnt it? ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:04PM

Wouldnt it be cheaper to hire locals to try and sell you shit instead of importing young whites from other states to try and sell you shit?

Posted by: Hypocrite Lib ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:16PM

> If you send a 20 something black dude from
> Anacostia people won't answer the door.

That's how I roll!

Posted by: boobies ()
Date: April 22, 2013 04:38PM

Because the hot girls look like they will put out if you answer the door. And the guys are like cat nip to the lonely house honey.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.