HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sky Hi Fairfax Rec Center Prices FCPA Time For FX City
Posted by: City Of Fairfax County Supporter ()
Date: April 18, 2013 04:12PM

Fairfax County citizens are lucky to have 9 county indoor rec centers with work out facilities, gyms, and all have indoor pools, but the cost is going sky high. And some of the centers hardly have many customers anymore.
Mt Vernon Pool days, Lee District, Cub Run.

The reasons? One is the outdated policy that all parks must pay for themselves. The park authority gets plenty of general county funds but not to run the rec centers. This came from back in the 50's when The FCPA was first chartered, It was a hard sell to get people to allow FCPA to buy parkland as there were trees everywhere so all "parks" had to pay for themselves.

The other big reason really big is the outdated Fairfax County government model
of a County Board of Supervisors with no one really in charge and Fairfax looses millions in tax revenue to the state every year as a result as Counties can not raise and keep as much monies as cities.

Fairfax's FCPD rec centers are now a whopping 8 dollers plus for a single visit for a county resident, You want a yearly pass ? 550 + Seniors who neeed exercise ? 400 a year.

Now in the City of Virgnia Beach Va. there are 7 indoor rec centers just like fairfax's and more even have the gyms.All have the weights and indoor pools.The cost 7 dollars a day for a out of towner about 75 dollars a year for a pass for City of Va Beach residents about 145 a year for a out of towner!

The situation in Fairfax is now way out of line, Parents with kids have to shell out 20 dollars for a one time go. Thats the difference between a out dated Fairfax County and a City.

When a urban government has over 1 million people the government needs to provide certain services and rec centers are a normal service with this type of population, eevry lage city has pools with reasonable fee . In DC the pools are free to DC residents as a example

Get with the program Fairfax County Board of Supervisors

Phone nuumbers coming of the BOS " Full Salvo" them with calls why are these rec centers prices so high and give them the Va Beach info and why is this policy so outdated with no general fund money for the rec centers..

"Full Salvo" US naval Term for a full broadside firing of all guns on a battleship at once in the same direction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sky Hi Fairfax Rec Center Prices FCPA Time For FX City
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: April 18, 2013 04:19PM

I have no problem with the Rec Centers being self-supporting since I'd rather see tax funds used in more important venues. As it is, as not-for-profits the centers STILL can compete very nicely with all the for-profit companies out there (probably to those companies' dismay).

Date: April 18, 2013 04:33PM

Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Phone Numbers and Email.

Sharon Bulova Chairman Elected at Large (Countywide)
703-324-2321 chairman@fairfaxcounty.gov

John Cook Braddock District
703-503-9583 braddock@fairfaxcounty.gov

John W Foust Dranesville District
703-356-0551 dranesville@fairfaxcounty.gov

Catherine Hudgins Hunter Mill District
703-478-0283 hntrmilll@fairfaxcounty.gov

Jeffery McKay Lee District
703-971-6262 leedist@fairfaxcounty.gov

Penelope Gross Mason District
703-256-7717 mason@fairfaxcounty.gov

Gerald W. Hyland Mt. Vernon District
703-780-7518 mtvernon@fairfaxcounty.gov

Linda Q Smyth Providence District
703-207-3541 provdist@fairfaxcounty.gov

Pat Herrity Springfield District
703-451-8873 springfield@fairfaxcounty.gov.

Michael R. Frey Sully District
703-814-7100 sully@fairfaxcounty.gov.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 18, 2013 04:50PM

Lets see........................$8 for a day of unlimited fun. Man, that's SUCH a rip off.

pic unrelated
Attachments:
You-must-be-new-here.jpg

Date: April 18, 2013 05:01PM

It should be free and yes I just got into Fairfax March 21st 1970. 43 years ago.

8 dollars for each parent and child .32 dollars for a family of 4 to go for a swim in the evening at a public pool, Yes I call that a rip off.

Posted by: Whocaress ()
Date: April 18, 2013 05:03PM

Yup
Attachments:
you get nothing you lose.gif

Posted by: Section 8 Sharon B ()
Date: April 18, 2013 06:55PM

Remember, all available funds are to be used to build more free luxury housing for undocumented immigrants. You voted for me, you live with the consequences! Now STFU and pay your taxes!

Posted by: b-man ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:57PM

City Of Fairfax County Supporter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It should be free and yes I just got into Fairfax
> March 21st 1970. 43 years ago.
>
> 8 dollars for each parent and child .32 dollars
> for a family of 4 to go for a swim in the evening
> at a public pool, Yes I call that a rip off.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/rec/wp-RECenter-rates.htm

If you really do live in Fairfax, the family rate for up to five people is $16. Why don't you look at the facts before posting? Pretty reasonable for several hours of entertainment. Cheaper than a movie.

Posted by: City of Fairfax County Supporter ()
Date: April 21, 2013 09:29AM

$16 -$20 - $10 is way too much for a night at a public pool.Its 8 dollars a person with a dicount for small kids I dont pay fees for libraries. The fact is a stinking County Govt is far too wastefull then you have any idea with no real leadership because no one is in charge get it. Cities have Mayors.They make it or break it.

Going to a rec center is family exercise not entertainment thats whay these places were built and thats why I voted for the bond referendums going way back to the early 70s to build these places, exercise is something you do on a regular basis and the service of a rec park pool is what government is supposed to provide citizens at a reasonable fee or free when the population gets to be over a million, small towns can not afford to provide these services but Fairfax can and should!

Posted by: rusty nail ()
Date: April 21, 2013 09:43AM

You are not going to like hearing this but if you are on public assistance entry is free as are rec classes.

Posted by: City of Fairfax County Supporter ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:19AM

Yes I know about that, also about the buses that pick them up and take them home, those I see are mostly seniors, and yes when other seniors who are have their heads just above the water and dont qualify for freebees get the large fees they have to pay not right, but as I say the places should be free or a small fee , oh well..

The county has plenty of money, who needs spending 500,000 thousand a year for a FXCO marine police patrol to patrol Marylands Potomac River or for a few yatch clubs in Occoquan where most of the marinas are in PW county? And thats the least of it waste wise . If Public Safety was any real concern the FCFD would have a rescue boat on a lift always ready to go at Belle Haven Marina to assist with a aircraft accident out on the Potomac where thousands of FX residents fly over each day in and out of National !

No One is in charge in FX CO Thats why the rec center prices are a rip off.

The county needs a mayor who is accountable with a city council like Va Beach.

And then FX can keep some of the hotel taxes and other taxes they will collect as a city and stop sending so much to Richmond.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.