HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Job for son with Asperger's
Posted by: Anxious ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:30PM

Does anyone have any ideas as to where my son, who has Asperger's, can get a job? He is 16 and we live in Chantilly. He is really smart and very polite, but has social deficiencies. Please don't be mean.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Job for son with Asperger's
Posted by: This might be an idea ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:33PM

Have you tried Safeway? I'm not sure if he's old enough, but the safeway near my house seems to employ several special needs adults. They bag groceries and work as cashiers. Not the most glamorous work, but for a first job it wouldn't be all bad.

Posted by: Ditto ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:48PM

^ Was going to suggest the same thing. Honestly, though, he seems to be a little young to be challenged with a job.

Posted by: KHT ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:50PM

You might call the staff at Jill's House, affiliated with McLean Bible Church. They may have some ideas for you.

Posted by: Surprised ()
Date: April 16, 2013 03:58PM

That everyone was nice here with this question.....

Posted by: You Deserve It! ()
Date: April 16, 2013 04:04PM

Nice to see the folks on this forum actually trying to "help" someone. Bravo FXU. Bravo.

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:34PM

Grocery stores stocking shelves or an office making copies and filing papers. I have had many students who have had success there. Check with Booze Allen. Many major companies actual get incentives for cases like this. It is a win win. Kids get good safe jobs where they can learn skills.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:40PM

weird-funny-funny.jpg

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 07:43AM by WingNut.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:52PM

Anxious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any ideas as to where my son, who
> has Asperger's, can get a job? He is 16 and we
> live in Chantilly. He is really smart and very
> polite, but has social deficiencies. Please don't
> be mean.

DMV?

Oh wait.. you said smart and polite, I just saw the part with social deficiencies.. nevermind.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:54PM

Structured wiring, cabling? It's very detailed work but has no customer interaction.

Posted by: Everyone Here Has Assburgers ()
Date: April 16, 2013 09:54PM

Everyone here is being so nice because 89% of the users here have that assburgers disease themselves. It has been proven many times that most trolls online have assburgers disease.

http://www.psychforums.com/asperger-syndrome/topic73156.html

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: April 16, 2013 10:44PM

For a short term solution, see above (except the one idiot). Personally, I would try to find an opportunity in an area that he is passionate about. I worked in IT for years and there are plenty of people in that field who have social deficiencies, but who are technically gifted. Your son might be able to get a foot in the door with a data entry position.

As the parent of a special needs child, you have to be proactive. It may take you outside your comfort zone (as it did me), but you can't let other people's negativity get you down.

Posted by: Everyone Here Has Assburgers ()
Date: April 17, 2013 12:17AM

Are you calling ME the one idiot? I'm not the one with assburgers or the one who gave birth to a special needs child. So you are insulting your special needs child and all assburgers people by using the word "idiot"

Idiot.

Posted by: VA Phins Fan ()
Date: April 17, 2013 12:55AM

Attachments:
3lcd.jpg

Posted by: Joes ()
Date: April 17, 2013 09:39AM

You might try Northern Virginia Training Center for some ideas and contacts. I like the idea of pinpointing his interests and then trying to find something in his area of interest.

Fairfax County Parks and Recreation might have something, Target (stocking, food court), horse stables, farm, veto nary clinic, libraries, etc.

Posted by: recruiter ()
Date: April 17, 2013 10:31AM

He could do more than stacking shelves. I am a recruiter in a big organization and would be happy to help you figure out options, and other things that might be useful. now i need to find a way to get my info to you without putting it up here in public!

Posted by: Techie ()
Date: April 17, 2013 10:35AM

recruiter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He could do more than stacking shelves. I am a
> recruiter in a big organization and would be happy
> to help you figure out options, and other things
> that might be useful. now i need to find a way to
> get my info to you without putting it up here in
> public!

Register as a users then you can exchange PM's (Private messages) just between you two.

Date: April 17, 2013 10:38AM

dang it wont let me register, keeps saying (after i have registered) that the username is inactive.

anyway email me at barneymcrubble67@gmail.com, i just set it up.

Posted by: rdd620 ()
Date: April 17, 2013 10:44AM

Try an internship with a local elected official.

Date: April 17, 2013 10:49AM

lots of good ideas here, at the age of 16 i would suggest any work environment that will expose employee to working life, basic responsibilities, deadlines, and ultimately and preferably so kind of industry where employee would like to be eventually.

essentially the same as any kid at that age. 16 is not to young to work, I did a paper round at 14 then at 15 worked as a kitchen hand in a hospice, making food, feeding people, cleaning up etc, never stopped owrking, even through under and post grad.

Posted by: client of lawyers ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:10PM

Send him to law school. Wait! You said he was, "He is really smart and very polite." Never mind.

Posted by: Rocco ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:20PM

Folks who suffer from Aspergers, seem to work well in solo environments. But I'm sure you know this already.

He could have a bright future ahead in the IT / Programming world. It's way more common in those kinds of careers.

At his age, you could get him filing / catagorizing books at the library or one of the remaining book stores in the NoVA region. Some basic data entry stuff or as someone else suggested, stock shelves.

Some good outdoors work is always helpful for a young man too. Summer landscaping, shipping or maintenance jobs. Main tasks do not require too much interpersonal work, but some interaction and coordinating with teammates happens.

Posted by: Anxious ()
Date: April 18, 2013 07:21AM

Thank you to all of those who offered kind recommendations. I will help him follow some of those leads.
Those with Asperger's are generally very high-functioning on the Autism scale, and just need to find work environments that are understanding of their social glitches. Since the rates of Autism are skyrocketing, it would be nice for the county to target some opportunities for these kids to work while they are in high school, just as they do for the kids with Down's. The kids with Asperger's have the potential to become taxpayers if they are connected with an employer who values their intelligence and can overlook their social deficiencies.
Thanks again!

Posted by: wondering2 ()
Date: April 18, 2013 11:22AM

Well, this is not a paying job but the DC animal shelter is always looking for volunteers, who do tasks like play with the dogs, fill water bowls and food, brush dogs, throw a ball to them in the exercise yard etc. This would be only if your son likes dogs and feels comforable around them. I also like the idea of outside work. Is he physically active? He could possible mow lawns (which my brother started to do around that age) or do basic weeding/planting in gardens. Many horse stables need help and it is solitary work; they will train you regarding what needs to be done. Again, this would only work if your son liked horses.

What does you son like to do and what are his interests? Maybe we can think of additional ideas :)

Posted by: blue cadillac ()
Date: April 18, 2013 11:28AM

Why don't you work with him at one of those town festivals? Working side-by-side in a booth or kiosk might be a way to ease him into the situation.

Posted by: Autistic Adult ()
Date: April 19, 2013 08:18PM

I can't make any recommendations without actually knowing your son. What are his interests? You may be able to find him a job that he finds interesting. Otherwise, I suggest you consult with fellow parents of autistic children. Facebook has several groups. Stay away from Autism $peaks which only want money for "biomedical" research and really wants to eradicate autism. The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network may also be of help: http://autismadvocacy.org.

P.S. I have a Ph.D. and a high-paying job. Autism is not a curse, it's a difference.

Posted by: Rev. Kerrsmore ()
Date: April 19, 2013 11:21PM

I guess volunteering on a suicide hotline wouldn't be the best choice for someone with Aspergers?

Posted by: A$$ ()
Date: April 20, 2013 04:39AM

Dammit, I just donated $1 to Autism $peaks too.

I want my $1 back.

Posted by: mjcc1987 ()
Date: April 20, 2013 08:16AM

Asperger does not mean retarded or mentally deficient. I actually know many with Asperger's working up at NSA and NRO (techie/science types). The deficiencies and inabilities in the social arena does not transfer to the intellectual area. In many cases, those areas are enhanced. I would first get him assessed. find those hidden talents Anxious, it will make all the difference for his world and future.

I know two in particular; one gay, one straight. Both are in long term relationships and, though difficult for the other half, it seems to work. Both are financially doing well and seem to enjoy their work and home lives.

Again Anxious, your son is NOT retarded and I'm sure is capable of more than being a stock clerk. Find those talents and you will give him a life of independence and to the extend he can relate; joy and contentment.

Posted by: Sped teacher ()
Date: April 20, 2013 11:29AM

You might try the department of rehabilitative services--they do a lot of job placement for young adults with special needs.

Posted by: durrrrrrrrr ()
Date: April 20, 2013 03:37PM

clearly her son is a drooling idiot if she thinks this is all he can do o/k

Posted by: Durrrrrrr is a troll ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:23AM

What about a camp aid for camps for spectrum kids. He can offer great peer influence and I think he would feel comfortable.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.