HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Alternatives to Verizon for just internet?
Posted by: Chobo ()
Date: March 09, 2013 09:57PM

I live in a Chantilly where Verizon Fios is the main player in town. I currently have a bundle for TV and internet that is about $89/mo. If I just get internet with them, it only drops to $79/mo.

Is there any source for high speed internet in my area for less money? Maybe $50 a month or am I not being realistic? I don't need the TV service, just internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternatives to Verizon for just internet?
Posted by: Sister Sledge ()
Date: March 09, 2013 10:56PM

There's Cox Internet. A lot of people knock it, but I've had it for 7 yrs now and don't have any major complaints. I pay $40.99/mo which they call a promotional price; when the promo expiration date nears, I just call up their customer retention dept. and they extend the price for another year no problem.

I pay for the 15/2.5 mbps service, but get 20-21 dl/25 mbps ul due my D3 modem. The internet rarely goes out and often stays on during the summer thunderstorms and occasional big snow storms. When you call Cox with an issue, it is pretty easy to get a live person on the line quickly. This seems to be a weakpoint with Verizon as my friends tell me.

Another option might be to bypass ISPs altogether and consider tethering to your cell phone's internet. Verizon's LTE network is pretty fast and you may want to look into their tethering prices and etc.

Re: Alternatives to Verizon for just internet?
Posted by: Fios Whore ()
Date: March 10, 2013 05:26PM

FIOS is great. There is basically no way to get a deal on it though. Wish there was a viable alternative. Cox isn't cheap enough to justify switching. Verizon Customer Service is the worst; but the service is so good I never need to call them.

I wish Cox would give me a cheap enough deal so I would switch. Why give up the best though to only save a few bucks?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.