HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Dress Code is needed
Posted by: Sylvester P. Smith ()
Date: February 16, 2013 12:23PM

This county should have the boys wearing white polos with khakis and the girls wearing white polos with dressy skirts. The way private schools do.

The learning environment needs it. The kids come dressed like they are going to the gym and that's how they end up behaving. It's a common sense move. Plus it would eliminate any kids being made fun of for their clothes.

Any chance this ever happens in FCPS? If not, who would stop it? Parents? School board? I know many kids wouldn't like it, but who cares what they think when it comes to dress code.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Dress Code is needed
Posted by: dieing breed ()
Date: February 16, 2013 12:49PM

You don't post as though you have your own children in FCPS. I wonder what your true motive is for wanting all the school girls to wear "dressy skirts".

Frankly, you sound like a pervert!!!!

Posted by: parent2 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 01:43PM

The amount of money spent on crap for the kids like wristbands and t-shirts and various other things the schools handout for free makes this a no brainer. They could easily buy every kid 3 polo shirts and khakis a year, and it would really make a difference. The kids attitudes are definitely negatively impacted by the slovenly and slutty clothes.

Posted by: agag ()
Date: February 16, 2013 01:46PM

I think this is a pedophile with the catholic school girl fetish, get out of your basement

Posted by: dieing breed ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:23PM

Three polos and three khakis per year? They? Who is they?

Teenagers are growing 3-6 inches in a single school year. Their parents should have to foot the bill for clothes not "they" the tax payers who don't have kids in school.

Posted by: ????? ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:34PM

this entire thread comes out of the blue. There is no discussion of a dress cose for FCPS for quite some time.

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:40PM

Scott or Crosspointe, is that you?

Posted by: Back in the day ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:49PM

Back in the day an interim principal at Robinson had a dress code campaign. The slogan was "Robinson is a fun place but is not the beach".

Posted by: codes ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:08PM

Each year FCPS makes a big production about what clothes are not acceptable--midriff-revealing shirts, tanks/camisoles with straps that are too skinny, shorts/skirts that are too short, etc. Then they don't enforce them. Why even pretend they have such rules? Most parents don't seem to care what their daughters wear to school.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:34PM

I would agree that it could change the atmosphere, but it also removes individuality. If the clothing is not appropriate I fault the parents, our parents bought our clothing and dictated what we could and could not wear to school. True we had some input, Those same rules apply to my kids, No Holes, No profane shirts and the pants fit properly. I have no issues with that. How do we change where society is failing?

Posted by: you first ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:41PM

Start with a dress code for the teachers. The fish rots from the head.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: February 16, 2013 06:22PM

you first Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Start with a dress code for the teachers. The
> fish rots from the head.

Go into any FCPS high school and you'll see some students dressing better than the teachers. Teachers should be required to wear shirt and tie if male. If female, either slacks and blouse, or blouse and skirt (with stockings).

Posted by: Blowtorch ()
Date: February 16, 2013 06:37PM

If the OP is truely a pedophile, he should be happy with the way teenage girls dress for school right now. I have a hard time distinguishing them from street hookers most of the time.

Posted by: Crazy... ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:37PM

Blowtorch Wrote:
> If the OP is truely a pedophile, he should be
> happy with the way teenage girls dress for school
> right now. I have a hard time distinguishing them
> from street hookers most of the time.

My thoughts exactly...the standard dress seems to be "yoga" pants and low cut V necks. Seriously questioning some parenting around FCPS...

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:08PM

From an adults perspective who wants to be forced to by overpriced uniforms probably made by child slave labor in China. The kids are out of control because the parents don't teach them how to behave or interact with others. They buy giant gas guzzlers and homes so the kids can have lots of space and so they don't have to parent and teach the kids to interact. That's why the kids act crazy at school.

Sylvester P. Smith Wrote:
> This county should have the boys wearing white
> polos with khakis and the girls wearing white
> polos with dressy skirts. The way private schools
> do.
>
> The learning environment needs it. The kids come
> dressed like they are going to the gym and that's
> how they end up behaving. It's a common sense
> move. Plus it would eliminate any kids being made
> fun of for their clothes.
>
> Any chance this ever happens in FCPS? If not, who
> would stop it? Parents? School board? I know many
> kids wouldn't like it, but who cares what they
> think when it comes to dress code.

Posted by: Expert ()
Date: February 18, 2013 11:13AM

There are a lot if reasons kids act the way they do in school. Clothes is indeed one of them. A uniform would help. Obviously parents need to step up at home. Another thing that needs changing is lunch at school. Why are foods like pretzels, cookies, pizza, ice cream, burgers, nachos, etc... Being served?!?! Those are carnival foods! Start serving real food. Between that and dress codes you'll see some changes real quick.

Posted by: Anchorage Motel Wifi ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:03PM

White shirts are nice. On a hot, balmy day, they get wet and you can see the titties.

Posted by: nice view ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:05PM

Crazy... Wrote:
> Blowtorch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the OP is truely a pedophile, he should be
> > happy with the way teenage girls dress for
> school
> > right now. I have a hard time distinguishing
> them
> > from street hookers most of the time.
>
>
> My thoughts exactly...the standard dress seems to
> be "yoga" pants and low cut V necks. Seriously
> questioning some parenting around FCPS...

That seems to reflect the parental dress code. I see lots of MILFs dropping off their kids while dressed in yoga pants.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 18, 2013 12:08PM

Expert Wrote:
> There are a lot if reasons kids act the way they
> do in school. Clothes is indeed one of them. A
> uniform would help. Obviously parents need to step
> up at home. Another thing that needs changing is
> lunch at school. Why are foods like pretzels,
> cookies, pizza, ice cream, burgers, nachos, etc...
> Being served?!?! Those are carnival foods! Start
> serving real food. Between that and dress codes
> you'll see some changes real quick.

Yes. A dramatic increase in the number of otherwise good kids being disciplined for violating dress codes, an increase in the amount of food being trashed during luch each day, followed after a short time by a drop off in the number of students who are buying school lunches. These aren't even band-aid solutions-they are window dressing.

Date: February 18, 2013 12:19PM

Who are these "otherwise good kids"?

You mean the sluts and slobs who are cheating their way through an education so mediocre that NOVA has to test them for basic literacy? The ones who "loving" parents warehouse them in institutions so they can punch a check on the government dole and go out to lunch every day while their kids are raised by the least common demonimator sociopath in the class who sets the bar for what's "cool"?

If you think your kid is an "otherwise good" one, well, you don't know your kid very well.

If you know your kid is not a borderline criminal because you busted your hump raising the little bundle, and preparing him for the open warfare that public education has become, then you aren't going to care about uniforms. It just levels the playing field

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 18, 2013 01:15PM

If you don't know who these "otherwise good kids" are, it is unlikely I can enlighten you...but here it goes.

They are intelligent, hard working kids who get good grades and have healthy relationships with their peers, their parents, their teachers and other adults. They tend to be heavily represented in the top third of their classes and tend to be the ones who are more likely to participate in and excel in extracurricular activities. One of the reasons for this is that they think for themselves. And a side effect of thinking for yourself is that you don't accept "because we said so" as a legitimate reason for a rule. You may not be able to tell the difference between an otherwise good kid and the type of kid that you described, but I guarantee you that most teachers can.

Date: February 18, 2013 01:44PM

Oh thaaaat kid.

Sure, everybody knows him. I thought he transferred to TJ.

Anyway, there are plenty of good reasons for dress codes, many enumerated above.

To end the slutty and sloppy dress, if not for the sake of the slob or slut themselves, for the sake of the peers who have to look at it.

To remove competition for clothing from an environment in which it is at best a distraction, and at worst an incentive for crime.

To ensure a minimum standard of hygiene and, yes, orderly deportment.

Perhaps the kids have trouble with the "authority" who points out these good reasons why, but isn't that what raising them is all about--removing the adolescent authority problems, and pointing them in the direction of the battles that really matter?

Posted by: gerry jr ()
Date: February 18, 2013 01:46PM

Whats up with the fat mexican chicks wearing mini skirts. Can something be done?

Posted by: clothes dont make the man ()
Date: February 18, 2013 03:59PM

parent2 Wrote:
> Who are these "otherwise good kids"?
>
> You mean the sluts and slobs who are cheating
> their way through an education so mediocre that
> NOVA has to test them for basic literacy? The ones
> who "loving" parents warehouse them in
> institutions so they can punch a check on the
> government dole and go out to lunch every day
> while their kids are raised by the least common
> demonimator sociopath in the class who sets the
> bar for what's "cool"?

First of all if they really are a slut then changing their clothes wont make them not be a slut.

Them not paying attention in school has nothing to do with their clothes its because they dont care. They know as long as they look hot they can find someone to take care of them and only care about superficial stuff.

Again it all comes back to parenting. But yes lets have more meaningless interventions from a government organization that will drive up costs when the schools have to provide uniforms for the low income kids and actually hurt the education of those that want to learn stretching the budget thinner

Posted by: teachers dressing like bums ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:05PM

why do some teachers dress like bums?

Date: February 19, 2013 05:07PM

Does it matter, isn't what matters if they are good teachers or not?

teachers dressing like bums Wrote:
> why do some teachers dress like bums?

Posted by: dress for success ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:35PM

katiesmith Wrote:
> Does it matter, isn't what matters if they are
> good teachers or not?
>
>
> teachers dressing like bums Wrote:
> -----
> > why do some teachers dress like bums?

Yes, it matters. Does it matter if YOU go to work looking like an unmade bed? Does it affect how people perceive you? Does it show how seriously you take your job that you bother to bathe, put on clean clothes, shave, etc? Why do you think for Parent-Teacher conferences the teachers are dressed nicely, but when you show up on some random day to pick up your kid, they are in sweats and a t-shirt?

Date: February 19, 2013 05:37PM

Because while you do your hair and make-up, perhaps they are spending their time putting together lessons plans to teach your kids. Something to many parents in Fairfax refuse to take responsibility for doing themselves and dumb on overworked teachers. If they are running a good classroom I could care less what they wear. Why are you so superficial?

dress for success Wrote:
> katiesmith Wrote:
> -----
> > Does it matter, isn't what matters if they are
> > good teachers or not?
> >
> >
> > teachers dressing like bums Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > why do some teachers dress like bums?
>
> Yes, it matters. Does it matter if YOU go to work
> looking like an unmade bed? Does it affect how
> people perceive you? Does it show how seriously
> you take your job that you bother to bathe, put on
> clean clothes, shave, etc? Why do you think for
> Parent-Teacher conferences the teachers are
> dressed nicely, but when you show up on some
> random day to pick up your kid, they are in sweats
> and a t-shirt?

Date: February 19, 2013 05:38PM

correction: dump not dumb

katiesmith Wrote:
> Because while you do your hair and make-up,
> perhaps they are spending their time putting
> together lessons plans to teach your kids.
> Something to many parents in Fairfax refuse to
> take responsibility for doing themselves and dumb
> on overworked teachers. If they are running a
> good classroom I could care less what they wear.
> Why are you so superficial?
>
>
> dress for success Wrote:
> -----
> > katiesmith Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Does it matter, isn't what matters if they
> are
> > > good teachers or not?
> > >
> > >
> > > teachers dressing like bums Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > why do some teachers dress like bums?
> >
> > Yes, it matters. Does it matter if YOU go to
> work
> > looking like an unmade bed? Does it affect how
> > people perceive you? Does it show how
> seriously
> > you take your job that you bother to bathe, put
> on
> > clean clothes, shave, etc? Why do you think
> for
> > Parent-Teacher conferences the teachers are
> > dressed nicely, but when you show up on some
> > random day to pick up your kid, they are in
> sweats
> > and a t-shirt?

Posted by: dress for success ()
Date: February 19, 2013 05:53PM

katiesmith Wrote:

Hair and makeup? Do you have kids in school and see these teachers regularly? I see teachers dressed for school like they are going to pull weeds, guys who cannot be bothered to shave before going to school, and women who dress in sweatpants and t-shirts. I'm not asking for shirt and tie, or a dress. I don't think it's too much to ask for a teacher to dress neatly and cleanly, clean jeans, Dockers, polo shirt. This is from people who are demanding more pay and more respect - and show up to work showing no respect for themselves, their workplace, profession, or students.

Date: February 19, 2013 07:43PM

Again, the dress code isn't for your little slut or slob, although it may in fact help them, its for the other kids.

This is the usual absurdity--claims that every virtuous or self-restrained action is pretty much just second nature, and then the school is responsible for nose wiping, telling the kids they have homework and everything else.

The reality is, with the abundant bad examples out there, kids have to be TAUGHT to dress modestly because they are kids. Because like kids, they will gravitate toward the short cut--in the case of dress, either what's easy, or what's easy to use to get attention.

They have to be taught that easy isn't always the best way to go.

But this isn't about that anyway. This is once again about people objecting to being censured as sloppy or slutty.

Date: February 21, 2013 01:14AM

Haven't seen teachers dress as sloppily as "dress for success" claims, If so, they should at least be wearing jeans if they aren't gym teachers. Sweats probably aren't dressy enough.

In general, I'm with katiesmith. Do NOT think clothes make the man as far as an education goes - I'd rather my kid and the teachers spend their time learning and teaching than making sure their uniform is ready and on straight.

I don't like it when the kids wear slutty clothing or have their pants hanging below their undies, but I do NOT want uniforms in our local schools. Someone here is reminding me of the HOA() poster who works for the HOA: all about the looks and shallow image appeal and not about the substance and knowledge. If you want a snazzy uniform, go to a private school. If you want to see underage girls in white shirts (which DO get see-through when it rains or if there's an accident at the water fountain, as someone else pointed out) and cute little skirts, go get professional help and stay FAR away from the schools.

katiesmith Wrote:
> correction: dump not dumb
>...
> > Because while you do your hair and make-up,
> > perhaps they are spending their time putting
> > together lessons plans to teach your kids.
> > Something to many parents in Fairfax refuse to
> > take responsibility for doing themselves and
> dumb
> > on overworked teachers. If they are running a
> > good classroom I could care less what they wear.
>
> > Why are you so superficial?
> >
> >
> > dress for success Wrote:
> > ...for
> > > Parent-Teacher conferences the teachers are
> > > dressed nicely, but when you show up on some
> > > random day to pick up your kid, they are in
> > sweats
> > > and a t-shirt?

Posted by: I wish ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:38AM

Having 5 kids, that would save some money.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: February 21, 2013 07:46PM

katiesmith Wrote:

It's a profession. When you're a professional, you wear appropriate clothing. A shirt and tie is not too much to ask. It takes all of 5 minutes to put on a shirt and tie.

Let's say you're a lawyer. Would you show up to court in jeans and a t-shirt, or would you wear more appropriate attire?

It's a matter of showing respect for your profession. I don't care how well you teach; you should be a role model in every way.

Posted by: Nom ()
Date: February 21, 2013 07:57PM

Kids are gonna find something to pick on other kids about. If they're all wearing the same clothes, it'll be backpacks or sneakers or something else.

As someone studying to be a teacher, I agree that teachers should dress appropriately. It's not asking much that a teacher put on a pair of slacks rather than jeans. You're not going to a barbecue, you're going to work.

Posted by: LCPS ()
Date: May 06, 2014 08:58AM

LCPS TEACHERS DRESS BETTER

Posted by: ~~FCPS Communications~~ ()
Date: May 06, 2014 09:51AM

New FCPS dress code for boyz:

Sagging5.jpg

Posted by: fffffffffffffffff ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:15PM

~~FCPS Communications~~ Wrote:
> New FCPS dress code for boyz:
>
> src="http://api.ning.com/files/zyFy1GxIUFQUgZ65lwJ
> IZZXJKa7hJY3Av-6EkCPG*zS8-zEMtLYLSSRqh9OExva-glgVm
> JLVzb3OP4on9J1UvpqtKuJZe24n/Sagging5.jpg">

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.