HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hybla Valley
Posted by: Marie ()
Date: February 08, 2013 10:03PM

I am looking for places to rent, and was recently offered a pretty good deal in Hybla Valley, at the Mount Vernon Square Townhomes near Windbreak Drive. I know for a long time the area has been rough. I was just wondering is it a rough neighborhood? What is the demographic makeup of this area? What about crime rate?

I would like to hear from actual residents of Hybla Valley or residents nearby for honest feedback. Is this a good community, or should I search somewhere else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hybla Valley
Posted by: Rob ()
Date: February 09, 2013 12:12AM

It's bad
Police is there all the time.
Medical es are on the trailer park right on the next street

Posted by: I'm White ()
Date: February 09, 2013 06:25AM

I live there, no problems, don't see the police no more than any else in Fairfax county good area. Low cost secret in Fairfax County.

Posted by: Hybla-ite ()
Date: February 09, 2013 07:54PM

I've seen this question posted a couple times, mostly questions about crime, so forgive me, Marie, for going on at length to give you some depth from one man's perspective, but I figure it might help others on a future search as well.

My family has lived in Hybla Valley since the 1930s, me for only 60-some years, in a detached home, but I can see Mount Vernon Square from my backyard. In that time, two burglaries (both times kids down the street charged, convicted and I got most of my stuff back). Twice I know of people going through the area at night rifling through car glove boxes. Took my SmarTrip card. It's fools like me (too lazy to lock their car) that get what they deserve. That's not much for 80 years. Oh yeah, my son had his bike stolen while leaving it parked (unlocked) at the 7-Eleven at Mount Vernon Square. Got it back in about 2 hours as kids are stupid (young perp was riding it around over at the pool area). If you like to go on walks at 2 a.m. it's not as safe as a gated community on the Potomac. My daughter was enough of a track runner at the local high school to get a scholarship, and that translates into countless hours on all the streets in and around Hybla Valley at all hours, endlessly, endlessly running -- never any trouble.

Over those many years I've known some wonderful people, from professionals to working people in Hybla Valley, including the townhomes, and keep in touch with some who have moved away. And I've seen a loss of community cohesion, and that's probably true generally in the area. The Mount Vernon Square Townhomes HOA has like all groups reigned and waned. Great park in Hybla Valley -- so big you could fit the entire City of Falls Church in it and still have 300 acres of woods to spare. Lots of dining choices and commercial retail -- but not a lot of high-end retail, like a nice men's clothing store. Local elementary school has its challenges with a heavy ethnic mix (ESL) but my kids learned how to get along with all kinds of people there and turned out pretty good (in their 20s now, happy healthy and one still in college, no regrets about local schools, some great friends today from those schools). Close to bike trails, Potomac and Occoquan recreation, express buses to subway. The Rex (limited-stop bus line) has a stop in front of Mount Vernon Square and goes to both Huntington and King Street stations; I drive, like the convenience of nearby car repair shops (and on those days, that Rex bus!). County government is much more responsive to the wealthier neighborhoods on things like zoning cases and traffic, but decent public service from state (Rt 1 is plowed of snow VERY fast).

Oh yeah, the best part... an ABC store is about to open at Mount Vernon Square. I like the Ledo Pizza there, but not my wife. She also rolls her eyes about all the Mexican restaurants nearby. And I guess that's a failing of the local restaurants, we've had some nice high-end white-tablecloth upscale restaurants come and go... no real high-class-atmosphere ones currently in Hybla Valley but still, some nice non-chain there and nearby (e.g. try the duck at nearby Peking Duck Restaurant or, more family style Greek in nearby Belle View, at Primos. Old Town is just 20 minutes away too. Carribean flavor at nearby Hollin Hall (Roseinas) and its jerk chicken sandwiches, or try Dishes of India at Belle View. But not a lot of elegant dining nearby. Sorry, I've gone on too much about food.

So Marie, what's important to you? A watering hole to meet guys, jogging safety, raising kids, or retiring soon? I'll try and give it to you a straight review, though we all see it by our own involvement in the community.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: February 09, 2013 08:14PM

I have a in-law relative that lives there. He likes it.

Safe is a relative term...compared to Mali, Syria, or even SE DC/Pg county-absolutely. Compared to other areas in Northern Virginia-maybe not so much.

I would also make a recommendation as I'm not sure who the property manager is there but make sure it isn't Grady. They own other properties in the general area and they are the worst management company I have ever dealt with by far.

Posted by: Hybla motels and other memories ()
Date: February 09, 2013 09:19PM

Hey, Hybla-ite...do you have any stories/memories of Route 1, and the various old motels/restaurants/other that you can share with me?

The Pines, Wagon Wheel, Miller's Motor Court, McCreary's Motor Court, Ford Motor Court, Doran's Motor Court, Keystone, etc., etc.,

Also intersted in memories of the two old "airports" in that area, as well as the few racetracks.

And anything else you remember from 60 years of living there...

I am putting together a book on that area, and that subject matter...anything you could tell me might be helpful, and would be much appreciated...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.