HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Legalize pot in Va?
Posted by: Poet and a Prophet ()
Date: November 08, 2012 08:35PM

Okay, so two states have now legalized recreational use of pot.It would seem the nation in general and VA in particular would benefit economically from such a measure. In VA, the tobacco industry could, presumably, easily incoporate jint production. What are the roadblocks to legalizing recreational pot use in VA when there seem to be so many economic advantages

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Legalize pot in Va?
Posted by: in due time ()
Date: November 08, 2012 08:45PM

In all reality I think that marijuana will be passed in many states in a 20 year span (similar to gambling), but I think Virginia will be one of the last ones to do so or keep it our all together. Reasons being are that we are a historically conservative state (ignore past election results) and economically we are light years ahead of other states so the desperation factor is not there......yet. I think a big factor will be crime rates and alcohol related crimes/problems. Congress will really try and lump the two together and compare results and Colorado and Washington were very low in both areas so results of legalizing marijuana should not affect those numbers very much. Overall, if this country really needs the money, they will pass it. I am just waiting for marijuana crimes to happen and then the real war will begin here.

Posted by: Poet and a Prophet ()
Date: November 08, 2012 08:49PM

Thanks! You are probably right. When I was growing up , the drinking age in DC was 18 but it had just turned 21 in VA. As a consequence, kids would cross the border into DC regularly to buy beer in DC and then come back to VA. I foresee history repeating itself, except now 50 somethings will be crossing the borders to go buy weed lol.

Posted by: 0!0 ()
Date: November 09, 2012 12:29AM

good luck with that

Posted by: tell my why!?!?!? aint nothing b ()
Date: November 09, 2012 03:00AM

0!0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good luck with that
why?!?!?!?!?

Posted by: rahool ()
Date: November 09, 2012 06:28AM

Virginia will be one of the last states to legalize weed if it even ever happens at all.

Posted by: HOA MGR ()
Date: November 09, 2012 08:04AM

I wonder what all those people who were willing to break the law to make a buck will do when they can't make their money anymore? When pot can be purchased from a store, there is no more need for your local drug dealer. Now, you can say its a good thing because the crime rate will go down when you stop arresting people for possesion. That may be true but your not looking at the big picture. The drug dealers are not going to go get a job at Walmart (not that there are any jobs to be found). They will find another revenue stream using thier current skill sets.

The crime rate will go down but the criminal population won't be affected.

Hey dealers, I heard they're looking for good salesmen in the meth distrubution business.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: November 09, 2012 08:40AM

@rahool - are you KIDDING ME!?!?! Have you ever even BEEN to Richmond? Ever hear of a company called PHILLIP MORRIS?

Trust me, yo - they prolly already have "Marlboro GREEN" packages just sitting and waiting LoLz

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: November 09, 2012 08:45AM

just a matter of time till the geezers (boomers) die off and we can start to untangle the clusterfuck they've left us.

one good step is backbenching the war on drugs. would save the country about $42 billion per year.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: November 09, 2012 09:53AM

To much money for campaigns comes from the sale of booze, so good luck thinking pot will come to VA.

Date: November 09, 2012 09:58AM

"one good step is backbenching the war on drugs. would save the country about $42 billion per year"

Yea, but our savings will be offset by the increased Obamacare costs of drug rehabs and the long term health effects of drug use on users.

But we'll get to smoke some legal weed duuuuude. It'll be soooo sweeeet braaa.
F the man, right?

Posted by: Thinkbox MC ()
Date: November 09, 2012 02:00PM

Pot is already legal for personal use under obamacare, you just cant sell it.

they wont make selling it legal for everyone you stupid fuck, that makes it hard to tax.

Posted by: MC SUCKBOX ()
Date: November 09, 2012 02:28PM

even legal weed won't make Thinkbox's music sound any good...even high that shit sucks

SUCKBOX OUT

Date: November 09, 2012 03:01PM

Marijuana isn't addictive, so the rehab argument is wrong. Yeah there are some long term health effects, but you're assuming those don't exist in similar numbers already. Got anything else?

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: November 09, 2012 03:12PM

Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> Pot is already legal for personal use under
> obamacare, you just cant sell it.
>
> they wont make selling it legal for everyone you
> stupid fuck, that makes it hard to tax.

No

Date: November 09, 2012 03:14PM

Phantom Wrote:
> Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Pot is already legal for personal use under
> > obamacare, you just cant sell it.
> >
> > they wont make selling it legal for everyone
> you
> > stupid fuck, that makes it hard to tax.
>
>
> No

Yes.

read the law faggot.

Date: November 09, 2012 03:19PM

So, the way I have seen it explained is that federal law still trumps Washington and Colorado law and it is still technically illegal in those two states. However, what the laws mean is that it is not against state laws to possess marijuana, so no state resources will go towards enforcement of federal laws (ironically this is the opposite of what AZ was trying to do for immigration). In essence it's illegal, but the resources to enforce it are not there..

I bet that MD and DC will decriminalize it before VA does and it will make the cost of enforcing the VA laws vastly more expensive. That is if the federal law is not repealed first.

Date: November 09, 2012 03:25PM

Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> Phantom Wrote:
> -----
> > Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Pot is already legal for personal use under
> > > obamacare, you just cant sell it.
> > >
> > > they wont make selling it legal for everyone
> > you
> > > stupid fuck, that makes it hard to tax.
> >
> >
> > No
>
> Yes.
>
>
>
> read the law faggot.

Since you're clearly so knowledgeable on this topic, please tell me what section and article under the affordable healthcare act this nugget appears.

Posted by: in due time ()
Date: November 09, 2012 03:30PM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> Marijuana isn't addictive, so the rehab argument
> is wrong. Yeah there are some long term health
> effects, but you're assuming those don't exist in
> similar numbers already. Got anything else?

Sorry, but it is. The main active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol). Short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning, distorted perception, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, loss of coordination, increased heart rate, and anxiety.

The main problem that people have with it all is that if it is legalized it will be abused in a way such as alcohol and it is a gateway to other drugs that are harder and more abusive to your body. I think a lot of research is going to be done in these next 4 years about the subject.

Date: November 09, 2012 04:12PM

in due time Wrote:
> Curmudgeon Wrote:
> -----
> > Marijuana isn't addictive, so the rehab
> argument
> > is wrong. Yeah there are some long term health
> > effects, but you're assuming those don't exist
> in
> > similar numbers already. Got anything else?
>
>
> Sorry, but it is. The main active chemical in
> marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol).
> Short-term effects of marijuana use include
> problems with memory and learning, distorted
> perception, difficulty in thinking and problem
> solving, loss of coordination, increased heart
> rate, and anxiety.
>
> The main problem that people have with it all is
> that if it is legalized it will be abused in a way
> such as alcohol and it is a gateway to other drugs
> that are harder and more abusive to your body. I
> think a lot of research is going to be done in
> these next 4 years about the subject.

Citing side-effects does not prove addiction. That said, there's very good evidence of the potential for psychological dependence, and slightly less good (but still pretty good) evidence that a person can develop a physical dependence on it. However, it takes a long period of daily use to get to the point of physical dependence.
Further, there is no evidence to indicate that mere experimentation with marijuana causes the psychological dependence on marijuana. There is far more evidence to suggest that people who become dependent on it use it to mask psychological trauma or mental problems, as with other drugs. Their dysfunction causes them to seek out the drugs and locking them up in jail for using drugs is not going to treat these problems.

Also, the "gateway drug" argument is a post hoc fallacy. Far more people have tried pot than any other illegal drug (statistics available here: http://www.samhsa.gov/data/NSDUH/NSDUHCensusEffects/NSDUHCensusEffectsTabsPE2011NF.htm ). 107M Americans have tried pot in their lifetime, 17M in the past month and only 37M have tried cocaine in their lifetimes (1M in the past month). If you assume that 100% of the people who tried cocaine tried pot first, then that means that 70M people who smoked pot never went on to try cocaine.

The war on drugs is a huge failure and it's time to give up this facade that we're saving people from themselves by locking themselves up in prison.
drug-spending-v-addiction.gif
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/10/chart-says-war-drugs-isnt-working/57913/

Date: November 09, 2012 04:17PM

Phantom is pretty much a stupid faggot when it comes to most things but here he is correct the war on drugs is alosing battle.

-thinkbox out.

Posted by: Thevrat chase ()
Date: November 09, 2012 04:25PM

Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> Phantom is pretty much a stupid faggot when it
> comes to most things but here he is correct the
> war on drugs is alosing battle.
>
> -thinkbox out.

Rats will be outta jobs when grass is legalized.

Date: November 09, 2012 04:46PM

Sweet-bro Curmudgeon ()
"Marijuana isn't addictive"
I was reffering to the war on "drugs", not just your weed bro.

"Yeah there are some long term health effects, but you're assuming those don't exist in similar numbers already."
We can assume the legalization will increase the useage of, therefore increasing the cost of the health risks.

"Got anything else?"
Is there anything that could actually pull you out of the mist? I think not.

Smoke'em if ya got'em bro.
Peace out.

Date: November 09, 2012 04:50PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> I wonder what all those people who were willing to
> break the law to make a buck will do when they
> can't make their money anymore? When pot can be
> purchased from a store, there is no more need for
> your local drug dealer. Now, you can say its a
> good thing because the crime rate will go down
> when you stop arresting people for possesion. That
> may be true but your not looking at the big
> picture. The drug dealers are not going to go get
> a job at Walmart (not that there are any jobs to
> be found). They will find another revenue stream
> using thier current skill sets.
>
> The crime rate will go down but the criminal
> population won't be affected.
>
> Hey dealers, I heard they're looking for good
> salesmen in the meth distrubution business.

Why wouldn't they just sell weed legally?

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: November 09, 2012 04:52PM

I thought it was Flouride in the water that was responsible for drug addiction an pacifism....

If weed was legal, do we immediately release anyone serving time for a weed related (non-violent) crime?

That's gonna save buku tax dollars and cost many in law enforcement their jobs.

Date: November 09, 2012 04:52PM

Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> Phantom is pretty much a stupid faggot when it
> comes to most things but here he is correct the
> war on drugs is alosing battle.
>
> -thinkbox out.

I don't dislike you. I just think you have a tendency to open your mouth before you think (or say things without googling them) and overtake threads with pointless bickering. I have no real opinion of you otherwise.

Date: November 09, 2012 04:57PM

Phantom ()
"Why wouldn't they just sell weed legally?"

Cause they won't be able to compete. You'll go to Walmart to get ur nugs.

Date: November 09, 2012 05:07PM

HOA MGR Wrote:
> Phantom ()
> "Why wouldn't they just sell weed legally?"
>
> Cause they won't be able to compete. You'll go to
> Walmart to get ur nugs.

I imagine it would be a lot more like wine than tobacco, have you ever heard a stoner talk about different varieties of weed?
People go to Wal-Mart for cheap wine, but they go to Total Beverage for good stuff. I imagine there would be a "total leaf" equivalent, plus there would be manufacturing, distribution, growing, etc. There would be plenty of now legal jobs that would need to be filled.

Date: November 09, 2012 06:03PM

Ahhhh, I am so sick of pothead stoners trying to tell me that 'legalized pot' will fix everything!

There is only so much money in our economy. If I start buying Blueberry Kush, I wont be spending my money on going to the movies. I've only got so much to spend on entertaining myself. I wont have any more $ if they legalize it. The gov will collect a little more in taxes but it will need to grow to manage da weed dude. The Feds can't manage anything with out spending a ton.

And as for the taxes going to the school.....look at the proceeds from the lottery or gambiling. Yes the money will be earmarked to go to the school's budget, but the their budgets won't increase.

"I imagine it would be a lot more like wine than tobacco"
I agree, Mad Dog 20/20 and Salem Lights.

And before you freak, I'm for the legalization, I just don't belive the hype.

Date: November 09, 2012 06:14PM

Phantom ()
I just read your last post again, and chuckled.

Are you actually implying that your local pot dealer will open up a 'total leaf' of hi quality kush and compete with the Walmarts and other specialty shops? Really? Think about it. If he had the brains to accomplish 1/2 of that then he wouldn't be swinging 1/4 oz.s to knuckleheads like you.

What a dumb post.

"have you ever heard a stoner talk about different varieties of weed?"
Oh no I haven't. Do you mean to tell me there are more than one kind of whacky-weed? Oh, my minister never mentioned that.

Grrrr, you people allow pot the have a bad reputation.

Go finish your homework.

Date: November 09, 2012 08:42PM

Is there anything that could actually pull you out of the mist? I think not

dunno -- i'd be pretty shellshocked if you stopped trolling.

also, saying "we can assume" as a method of supporting your hypothesis is pretty stupid.

Date: November 09, 2012 08:57PM

I-n-I is smokin da ganja under da bridge mon-

In my hypothesis we have to assume because its not legal in VA yet.
And its fun to make an ass out of me and you..har-har-har.

The only fatties you roll are your mom and her sister...ohh shizal, thats a burnout burn!

Date: November 09, 2012 11:27PM

When did I ever say I smoked pot? I don't. I've tried it and I can say from experience that it's not my thing. I do, however pay taxes and think it's asinine to pay more in taxes to lock people in jail for thing that at worst hurts themselves.

I also never said that all potheads would start their own businesses. I said I think niche businesses would spring up around pot and that many of those involved in the pot business would seek employment around those jobs. I think it's far more ridiculous to suggest that because they break the law now for pot, if it was legal they would break the law for other things. Basically I am implying that they express demand for pot while you imply they express demand for breaking the law.

And if you get a chance to see it, National Geographic has a really good show called "Drugged." Watch the episode on marijuana. It'll make you realize we (as a society) freak out over nothing.

Also, fun fact: Carl Sagan was a regular pot smoker and penned pro-pot editorials under a pseudonym.

Date: November 10, 2012 10:42AM

Phantom ()

I don't think I said you smoked. Actually my joke pointed out that you don't roll joints, you have sex with your family members.

I agree with you that pot should be legalized.

My point was/is that it won't fix anything, criminals will find other illegal revenue streams. The jails will stay full of criminals.

Fun fact: I have smoked weed and hung with dealers. I've been in the fields and sat on pounds of weed being transported. I felt the weight of our judicial system on me and friends. I've been to court, jail and funerals. I've been through the high times and the low. And all for the sake of pot. I know for a fact that pot has an effect on people.

My original point stands. Legalizing pot wont fix things, it will just shift things around.

Date: November 10, 2012 09:00PM

But you cite nothing to back up your assertion. Over a decade ago Portugal began an experiment by decriminalizing all drugs and shifting their policy from incarceration to treatment. The result: lower crime and lower overdose rates. Read all about it here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

Posted by: Oxyclean ()
Date: November 10, 2012 11:11PM

The report only shows a reduced number of addicts which fairly easily translates into fewer sick addicts (as there are fewer addicts) and fewer overdoses.

It does not say that crime is down beyond the reduction you'd expect to get by not treating possession as a crime. Distribution, production, and trafficking are still crimes.

The report also doesn't say anything about the cost difference between incarcerating someone and having them on constant rehabilitation. Given that any rehab program with even a remote chance of being successful requires checking into a rehab facility, I suspect the costs are fairly close to that of incarceration unless the number of repeat addicts is also decreasing.

I'm not saying that this might not be a good approach, but you can't compare Portugal with the United States. Putting aside basic cultural differences, are you aware that Portugal is smaller and has fewer citizens than the state of Ohio?

Kind of a big leap to say, "It works in one country that's smaller than 39 of our 50 states, but what the fuck, let's take this bitch across the entire country and see what happens!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 11:12PM by Oxyclean.

Posted by: Legalize it ()
Date: April 18, 2013 09:52PM

It is not a gateway drug you fucking Moron shut the fuck up

Posted by: Solo Dolo ()
Date: April 18, 2013 10:31PM

Weed is just as much of a gateway drug as alcohol would be, if it were legal. The only reason why it would possibly have that "gateway" effect is because it's illegal, therefore making it easier to rationalize the use of other illegal drugs.

Posted by: NO VA bud 4 U ()
Date: April 19, 2013 09:35AM

Virginia will be among the last states to legalize Marijuana if it even ever happens at all.

Posted by: Wishtheywould ()
Date: April 19, 2013 12:06PM

It would be great if it were legal here. Our main cash crop is the deadly weed Tobacco you would think one more non-deadly weed would be welcome. Guess not with the Prison Industry, ETOH and tobacco lobbies. At least you can move to CO if you want to consume legally...

Posted by: longtime resident ()
Date: April 19, 2013 07:58PM

You must be new to the Commonwealth.

Posted by: Really... ()
Date: April 19, 2013 11:29PM

This is one of the "Conservative" moves I love.

Conservative: State rights must be preserved!

Massachusets: Let's allow gay marriage!

Conservative: Let's change the Constitution... the states are out of control!

- time passes -

Conservative: State rights must be preserved!

Colorado: Let's allow some pot!

Conservative: Let's charge users under Federal Law!

Posted by: VaIS4GibletHeads ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:40PM

http://altriamarijuana.com/ they own Phillip Morris ...and Kraft (dafuck? ...i mean, we're fucked!) http://www.whoownswho.org/altria.htm

i 'memeber a bid not too long ago to "study" selling in ABCs here. dont know if it went anywhere

Unfortunately Va is too old and nonprogressive to ever step up and support the inevitable while the lives of good hard working people are being ruined and others live in fear of enjoying themselves.

Posted by: flonominal ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:06AM

Shit get your weed at walmartnick bags will b 4.88 you can't beat those rollback prices

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.