HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
LHMS - GT center?
Posted by: WantToKnow ()
Date: June 10, 2008 09:41PM

Will Hughes have a GT center in the fall? I've heard that there will be no more GT team. Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LHMS - GT center?
Posted by: Neen ()
Date: June 11, 2008 01:26AM

Just wondering where you heard that rumor. Unless FCPS is eliminating all middle school GT centers, Hughes will continue to have a center.

Date: June 11, 2008 11:52AM

I heard it from 2 other moms. So yes, it is just a rumor. Can anyone with official knowledge and certainty either confirm or deny this rumor?

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: June 11, 2008 04:17PM

There has been talk of eliminating GT centers now that all middle schools have the Honors program but I am fairly certain that nothing official has happened. Of course that doesn't mean they won't do it over the summer.

Why don't you email your school board member and ask? Or call Carol Horn, the GT program director, and ask her. Let us know what you learn from her.

Date: June 11, 2008 05:23PM

I'll call Carol Horn tomorrow. Perhaps someone from her office would be able to give me information. I'll keep y'all "posted." Too bad some insider hasn't been able to provide info thru this forum. I was hoping to keep my inquiries anonymous. Oh, well.

Re: LHMS - GT Center?
Date: June 12, 2008 12:45PM

I think FCPS is revamping the GT services at the middle school level.

I've been looking at the "2006-2011 Local Plan for the Education of the Gifted" on the FCPS website (http://www.fcps.edu/DIS/gt/localplan/part2.htm). I think they're implementing something called "Parallel Curriculum" in lieu of a GT teams. Fascinating reading.

My official inquiry has gone unanswered. I suspect parents of rising 7th graders will be in for a big surprise come fall.

Posted by: rumor ()
Date: June 12, 2008 01:03PM

WantToKnow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think FCPS is revamping the GT services at the
> middle school level.
>
> I've been looking at the "2006-2011 Local Plan for
> the Education of the Gifted" on the FCPS website
> (http://www.fcps.edu/DIS/gt/localplan/part2.htm).
> I think they're implementing something called
> "Parallel Curriculum" in lieu of a GT teams.
> Fascinating reading.
>
> My official inquiry has gone unanswered. I
> suspect parents of rising 7th graders will be in
> for a big surprise come fall.

Hmm. I seem to be missing something in the link you provided. I don't see anything about eliminating GT teams. I know Luther Jackson just hired an additional team of GT teachers, in order to expand their GT center program to two grades (started last year). Perhaps some date in the future they will just have "honors" classes, but this coming school year 2008-2009 GT centers will still exist at the MS level.

Date: June 12, 2008 01:22PM

You're right, there's no mention of eliminating GT teams. But there's no mention of them AT ALL. It's very confusing to me. But having carefully read the FAQ section of the previously mentioned web site (sorry folks, I'm too lo-tek to figger out how to include a link in this here spot), I think you're right. It states that rising 7th grade GT students may attend the assigned GT center. They also automatically qualify for honors english, ss, and science.

So FCPS has indeed made a distinction between GT Center and Honors classes. At least, that's how I read it.

Date: June 12, 2008 03:15PM

I re-read and re-read the "Local Plan for the Education of the Gifted," and have come to the conclusion that FCPS will be phasing out Middle School GT Centers and will be emphasizing, instead, Honors courses. Read it for yourselves, and draw your own conclusions.

We shall soon be seeing PowerPoint presentations extolling the glories and wonders of the Parallel Curriculum Model. The literature on this is out there for easy googling. Better to find out for yourselves than wait for the FCPS propaganda machine to work it's magic.

Posted by: NowYouKnow ()
Date: June 12, 2008 03:40PM

LHMS will have a GT Center in the fall, per official info.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:15PM

NowYouKnow Wrote:
> LHMS will have a GT Center in the fall, per
> official info.

A GT center is different than a GT team in middle school. Will all the GT center students be on the same team of teachers? Or will the GT center students be spread over all the teams ? Will the GT center classes be all GT center students with base school students assigned to those classes in areas of strength or will a teacher be differentiating for all?

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:19PM

What the fuck is a GT center?

Posted by: rumor ()
Date: June 12, 2008 04:42PM

taxpayer Wrote:
>> A GT center is different than a GT team in middle
> school. Will all the GT center students be on the
> same team of teachers? Or will the GT center
> students be spread over all the teams ? Will the
> GT center classes be all GT center students with
> base school students assigned to those classes in
> areas of strength or will a teacher be
> differentiating for all?

The team and center will be one and the same. The honors courses and GT center courses are different curriculums. The GT center for 3-8th grade will continue to exist despite offering honors courses. The GT Center students will be part of a team, and will therefore have the same teachers. Nothing is changing, and the document clearly shows that there are GT centers in the middle schools and that that will continue. The changes that might occur are occuring at level 2 and level 3, not center level of 4...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.