HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Annandale :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Golds Gym Manager Playing Games
Date: March 14, 2015 02:25PM

In my opinion, the Annandale Golds Gym manager plays games, which is unfortunate, since the vast majority of people at Golds Gym are good people.

A Golds Gym manager should not play games.

Instead they should be honest and above-board at all times.

And always treat people equally.

After 4 years, editing my real name out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:40PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Golds Gym Manager Playing Games
Posted by: Mattycakes Muhammad ()
Date: March 15, 2015 01:08AM

PEACE....so what you saying is....they banned you cuz someone said you stink

Date: March 15, 2015 05:46AM

I'm not sure I was banned because someone said I stink, since I was one of the better smelling people there when I was banned. I live less than a mile away and was taking showers before enough of my visits right before heading over until I sensed things blew over. It made my muscles loose right before working out, which was a plus, but I would never do that again since I don't think it's fair because so many people smell there. I especially noticed that when I wasn't working out at the gym anymore and was just using the gym was a walk-through to get to my chiropractor's office.

At a gym everyone smells bad, The only people who don't, are either lying or go there to socialize.

Also, it could be a complaint about something else besides stinking. I later called up a golds gym customer service rep who said the reason in the system was listed as "hygiene" and that was the first time they saw someone banned like that. There were no details though, just "hygiene", which is broader than stinking. Someone could report you for not wiping equipment, not washing your hands after you used the restroom, blowing your nose, picking your nose, dirty finger nails, farting, whatever. You never know what the complaint is behind your back, and that's assuming there was a complaint when I was banned. A manager doesn't need a complaint to ban you. Managers have enormous discretion to do whatever they want.

If I was banned for smelling bad, there ought to be a rule you can't get banned for smelling bad at a gym unless you smell worse than the smell of that gym.

Date: March 15, 2015 08:48AM

When a Golds Gym manager bans you, they don't have to give you a reason.

The ban letter in the mail will say your membership was terminated because of "violating rules and regulations or disorderly conduct" without getting any more specific, and they will cite their contract clause, "Golds Gym has sole discretion to determine what/how its rules are violated" as why they don't have to be more specific in saying why they banned you.

It's easier to get a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than it is to get Gold's Gym to put down in writing that I was banned for smelling bad, if that's indeed what it was.

If a Golds Gym manager won't put a ban reason in writing, they're playing games.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 11:20AM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 17, 2015 04:31PM

Why do you want to do business with an establishment that doesn't want you as a customer? It is not like Golds Is the only gym in the area.

Date: March 18, 2015 10:25AM

It's the only gym I can walk to, which is convenient. It's the only gym less than a mile away from where I live.

Plus it has a nice punching bag that none of the next closest gyms have. I knew people there who were into boxing like I was.

It's also at the same shopping center as the giant, the papa johns, the mcdonalds, szechuan star, and mcdonalds, all of which I frequent often.

I also had a good deal there, 30 bucks a month, for access to all of the golds gyms in the area.

It's one gym manager I didn't get along with out of many staff members and general managers I have gotten along with, who doesn't want me there.

Date: March 20, 2015 01:18PM

You answered the wrong question. That is the list of reasons why you signed up for Golds Gym in the first place. My question was why you would want to continue doing business with them when they don't want you as a customer. It isn't the same thing.

Date: March 22, 2015 09:48AM

Saying the "establishment" doesn't want me, doesn't even begin to tell the full story. It's really one guy who doesn't like me, plus a bunch of politics.

Staff there, apart from that current gym manager, has always treated me well. Before I was banned, staff would sometimes even change TV channels for me and let me go behind the "staff only" front desk to borrow the boxing gloves. They'd also tell me stuff about new membership sales quotas, and other inside stuff I probably shouldn't say on a public forum. The normal stuff that happens when you're a familiar enough face that staff gets comfortable with you. If I went to another gym, it would take awhile to build up to that level of treatment. Even after I was banned and only using the gym as a walkway, some staff were disappointed I wasn't logging in anymore.

Okay you may say, that's lower level gym staff, what about the higher-ups?

According to golds gym customer service, apparently they are currently still reviewing my ban now, well after I sent them my side of the story two months ago, the draft of my yelp review before I posted it. Although my yelp review says I gave golds gym 10 days to respond before posting, it was really 30 days since I sent them a second "10 days to respond" letter. I just used 10 since that was what I said I would put in my yelp draft title. So they've been reviewing my case since late January, which is rather unusual since I was told the vast majority of cases only take 7-14 days.

A golds gym customer service rep also said they never heard of anyone getting banned like I did, and so divulged the manager's notes on the ban to me that were not in the ban letter. Just one word, "hygiene" with no supporting details. Normally managers give more documentation than that.

That they've taken this long before deciding what to do, makes me wonder if politics is more of a factor than my behaviour. I think one thing that may be going through their minds is, if we let him back in, can he and the gym manager coexist in the same gym?

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 04:44PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: March 23, 2015 10:40AM

The golds gym manager told my chiropractor I was banned instead of telling me, and at the same time silently watched me scan in my membership barcode one last time right in front of me, knowing my membership would terminate a couple days later just like he planned.

One could say, well, yeah that was pretty cold on the part of the golds gym manager, but perhaps the gym manager just didn't want to talk to me. And also thought it was the chiropractor's business to know since I was using the gym as a walkway to get to his chiropractic office.

One problem with that.

While the gym manager told my chiropractor, who was not a golds gym employee but instead had his own business, in the back of the gym, the gym manager avoided telling his gym staff at the check-in at the front of the gym, who were his employees, whose business it was to know the status of people entering the gym.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 01:07PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: March 23, 2015 04:39PM

If your girlfriend suddenly announced she wanted to "take a break so she could date Brad", would you still be this pathetic? It must be one hell of a gym.

Date: March 23, 2015 06:41PM

What's your full name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 06:43PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: March 24, 2015 07:16AM

When I posted my yelp review, I used my full name.

When I started this thread, I used my full name.

I prefer it that way since it's more above-board. If I do those things anonymously, then I'm no better than the behind-the-back way I was treated.

I also should mention I sent out two fully detailed yelp drafts before I posted it publicly, one to golds gym corporate headquarters, and another directly to the Annandale golds gym manager.

Anything less than that would be playing games.

Date: March 24, 2015 03:33PM

So you are now at the attack the messenger phase.

If you had spent any time here you would know this is an anonymous forum and most here prefer to remain that way. More importantly though it is clear you don't really want to hear from anyone who disagrees with you, even when that disagreement amounts to simply asking why you don't move on and go to a gym that actually wants your business. I have no stake in your fight. Rather than waste more time on this I am taking my own advice and moving on. Good luck with your crusade.

Date: March 24, 2015 06:45PM

I'll repeat myself and say there's no other gym I can walk to.

Let alone a gym I can walk to that is 30 bucks a month and has a heavy punching bag.

I don't really care if the manager wants me or not. He's just one guy.

Posted by: Mattycakes Muhammad ()
Date: March 29, 2015 10:20AM

PEACE!!!! its better to get exercise in a wooded park on solid ground in fresh air and sunlight then being cooped up in a gym with a bunch of sexxy ass bitches...in the olden times in greece the gym was where dudes got they pooh pushed in and molested they children....and modern gym culture ain't gonna lead you to physiological liberation....follow Arnold Ehrets mucusless diet healing system and be happy!!!!!

Posted by: RickH ()
Date: June 09, 2015 01:40PM

The Annandale Golds Gym has been having an unusually hard time meeting membership sales quota last three months. It's strange since the spring is usually seasonally strong.

Posted by: Members ()
Date: July 18, 2015 02:52PM

I remember you....you wore a 4 x "white" t shirt that was grey in color because of your B/0. Myself and other members complained to Gold's how bad you stank. You cause my wife at one point to have to stop her personal training session because your odor made her sick.

I also recall another member pointing you our having grey sweat pants on that look like you slide into 2nd base covered in dirt and stink. You are a nasty smelling person the reeks from 10 FT away. You have a lot of gull putting this on Gold's Gym. My Suggestion is shower clean your nasty self and move on putting yourself out here like you are a victim if laughable ....GET A LIFE

BAD

Posted by: kingoflameking ()
Date: July 28, 2015 12:52PM

Complaints are kept confidential. How can you claim to be a regular gym member with knowledge of a different instance, where you were neither the complainer nor the complainee?

Only gym staff are privy to that. There's a lot of turnover among gym staff and practically the only staff person left over after 2-3 years have passed is the gym manager.

Members, you're the Annandale Golds Gym manager trolling as a regular gym member. You have to be. That these 2-3 year old separate instances are also undocumented only confirms that you really are the golds gym manager. Calling yourself "Members" and your "Gall to challenge Golds Gym", HAHAHA. LAME. You're protective of your gym iike I remember you. I get that. But you're trying too hard. It's just a Yelp review, geez.

You're not a nice person. I used to work as gym staff under you and I speak for plenty of former gym staff there. Some of us even quit working there because of you. Like other gym staffers, I also used to give out the boxing gloves at the front desk to this guy you banned. There were times you were right next to me at the front desk when I handed him the gloves and you never once said a thing about his body odor. Dude was at the front desk counter like EVERYDAY. So what if he wore baggy clothes and looked more grungy than preppy.

Annandale Golds Gym manager trolling gym member he banned two years ago over a bad yelp review=KING OF LAME.

Posted by: bigsky ()
Date: October 06, 2015 03:28PM

I was at this gym for awhile and Members actually does vibe like the gym manager. Those of you who've seen that side of him know what I mean.

Just, wow.

Posted by: johnk ()
Date: October 24, 2015 12:47PM

I've been a gym member for many years. I've never known of any gym member like Members described, nor have I ever known of any gym member who sounds like Members.

I saw the mention of the gym's trouble meeting sales quota and noticed this odd-looking annandale golds gym yelp review that was posted a month before Members posted here. On yelp it looks like a newspaper ad that somehow ended up alongside gym user experiences.

The photos in this review seem to have come from the annandale golds gym website. I also uploaded these to imgur to show the corresponding annandale golds gym photo urls.

If this gym were run better perhaps there wouldn't be problems like this? Just saying...

Date: November 12, 2015 02:54PM

Nice find, better than you realize! There is a vehicle in the yelp photo that isn't in the golds gym website photo. Otherwise the same professionally-taken photo belonging to golds gym. Whoever posted the yelp review couldn't have grabbed it from the website. They had to have access to the original photo, further restricting who could have posted that Yelp review.

Date: November 23, 2015 01:52PM

Members got real quiet as soon as you detailed out how he had to be the golds gym manager in disguise. Members is clearly not a shy person, so his lack of responding to your accusation made me suspicious. Only then did I discover that odd Yelp review had Golds Gyms own photos on it.

Date: December 04, 2015 12:35PM

He can't respond anymore because his account got deleted. That must have happened recently since last time I logged in a month ago, his account was still active.

Date: May 17, 2016 04:46PM

Golds Gym manager fired two weeks ago.

Owner posted on yelp and quickly removed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 05:18PM by johnk.

Posted by: youngins ()
Date: May 25, 2016 11:03PM

hotties with the bodies
Attachments:
gay2.jpg
gay.jpg

Date: May 27, 2016 05:16PM

Posted by: BBB ()
Date: June 30, 2016 06:23PM

Actually the former General manager purchased his own gym in NC ........

Date: July 06, 2016 05:53PM

Just before you posted that trollish update of the former general manager's good fortune and got your account deleted, the annandale golds gym contact info updated from new general manager's fselzer email address back to former general manager's jscanlon email address.

http://www.goldsgym.com/annandaleva/contact/

There was another way to tell the gym contact info change back to jscanlon was recent enough to line up with your post. Just 23 days before your post, Golds Gym enthusiastically announced the new general manager selzer, their intended replacement for fired general manager jscanlon.

https://www.facebook.com/goldsgymannandaleva/

I hope the new manager wasn't discouraged by the politics and difficulty meeting sales quota.

The timing of your month-end trollish update of the former manager's good fortune, with the recent change in gym contact info back to that very same former manager, is a heck of a coincidence.

Date: July 07, 2016 08:03PM

Check your fax moron, the old GM is been gone since April I only wish your stupidity hurt you as much as it does us

Date: July 09, 2016 12:02PM

Learn to read correctly before you lash out.

I'll spell it out for you.

The longtime general manager who got fired was jscanlon and his email address was jscanlon@goldsgym.com. For years the annandale golds gym contact info email was jscanlon@goldsgym.com Then it changed to fselzer@goldsgym.com after jscanlon got fired. Then it changed back to jscanlon@goldsgym.com just before your first BBB post about the former general manager.

Those undeniable facts are all I need to make my point. That the annandale golds gym website contact info change back to the former general manager's jscanlon email address, just before your first BBB post about the former general manager, is a heck of a coincidence.

http://www.goldsgym.com/annandaleva/contact/
BBB: Actually the former General manager purchased his own gym in NC ........

Who are you BBB? That's what my post was about, who are you.

Are you the jscanlon general manager who was fired?

Here's your second BBB post side by side with the year-ago post by Members, who people identified as the golds gym manager before he got fired, who we know to be jscanlon. Notice how both when under pressure, emphasized they were speaking on behalf of their group. To convey that they had support in numbers. Look at how both awkwardly referred to themselves in plural form, "Members", "us", which I bolded below:

BBB: Check your fax moron, the old GM is been gone since April I only wish your stupidity hurt you as much as it does us
Members: I remember you....you wore a 4 x "white" t shirt that was grey in color because of your B/0. Myself and other members complained to Gold's how bad you stank. You cause my wife at one point to have to stop her personal training session because your odor made her sick. I also recall another member pointing you our having grey sweat pants on that look like you slide into 2nd base covered in dirt and stink. You are a nasty smelling person the reeks from 10 FT away. You have a lot of gull putting this on Gold's Gym. My Suggestion is shower clean your nasty self and move on putting yourself out here like you are a victim if laughable ....GET A LIFE

Are you the jscanlon general manager who was fired?

And if you are jscanlon the former manager, why do you troll with multiple aliases to hide your identity like a person a third of your age?

Date: July 09, 2016 07:18PM

Who are you jagoff that's the real question you hide behind a computer and talk shit

Date: July 11, 2016 05:23PM

That's pretty weak coming from a trollish keyboard warrior clown who thinks he's a golds gym bigshot.

Jscanlon/Members/BBB, any of your aliases can call me John.

Date: July 13, 2016 10:29AM

I love internet tough guys ...you sit behind a computer act like a detective super sleuth talking shit. Grow a pair get in the real world put your stuff out there like you spew others information. What a punk

Date: July 14, 2016 05:04PM

You make me laugh. The tough guy wannabe act only after you got caught hiding behind your fake internet identities.

Have you ever been in a fight in real life?

Date: July 15, 2016 07:56PM

LMAO Still playing internet toughy you go boi.........you make me laugh go play pokemon go geek boy .......

Date: July 18, 2016 05:43PM

Your new use of slang makes you seem more goofy than street guy. Kingoflameking a year ago said you were trying too hard in your post as Members. But it's not just that post. Every post you're trying too hard:

Members: I remember you....you wore a 4 x "white" t shirt that was grey in color because of your B/0. Myself and other members complained to Gold's how bad you stank. You cause my wife at one point to have to stop her personal training session because your odor made her sick. I also recall another member pointing you our having grey sweat pants on that look like you slide into 2nd base covered in dirt and stink. You are a nasty smelling person the reeks from 10 FT away. You have a lot of gull putting this on Gold's Gym. My Suggestion is shower clean your nasty self and move on putting yourself out here like you are a victim if laughable ....GET A LIFE
BBB: Actually the former General manager purchased his own gym in NC ........
BBB: Check your fax moron, the old GM is been gone since April I only wish your stupidity hurt you as much as it does us
BBB: Who are you jagoff that's the real question you hide behind a computer and talk shit
BBB: I love internet tough guys ...you sit behind a computer act like a detective super sleuth talking shit. Grow a pair get in the real world put your stuff out there like you spew others information. What a punk
BBB: LMAO Still playing internet toughy you go boi.........you make me laugh go play pokemon go geek boy .......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 06:54PM by johnk.

Date: August 01, 2016 10:27AM

The manager wasn't just overdoing it as Members. That guy who was banned didn't have bad body odor or wear dirty clothes. Seeing that post again makes me ashamed to have ever worked for golds gym.

Posted by: RickH ()
Date: January 27, 2017 01:47PM

Golds Gym is still discriminating against this guy?

Bump

Date: April 21, 2017 03:57PM

This is an old dated photo of me in a beautiful 4XL gray tshirt that Golds Gym management absurdly claimed as a dirty white shirt to ban me out of the blue after 10 yrs of the same gym routine. This shirt matches the shirt in my Yelp profile pic I chose before I found out why I was banned. Golds Gym declined to challenge any of this. The sweatpants stuff was equally absurd, and also demonstratively fudged documentation to ban me. Golds Gym cited their sole discretion contract clause to withhold ban file contents from me, but several customer service reps leaked that to me before Golds Gym also banned me from their CS hotline. It's enough to also claim Golds Gym uses sole discretion to lie about my ban to complaint investigators, with how they hold back the ban file to spin a cutting corners ban into the opposite of that. Golds Gym also additionally banned me from going to any business that rents office space inside any Golds Gym location. It's like upper management triple-banned me from Golds Gym, and that came just four days after their gym manager's prejudiced ShowerYourNastySelf post about my shirt and sweatpants. Thankfully the chiropractor I went to for my low back herniated disc condition moved his office out of that gym so I could still get treatment. The drama is a killer, isn't it? Life in the city when dealing with Golds Gym.

So to answer your question Rick, Golds Gym cites their sole discretion contract clause to defend even prejudice and hate-based bans. In the absence of a legal counter at the state or federal level, the sole discretion legal phrase does not require good faith and fair dealing like regular discretion does:

http://www.oncontracts.com/northwest-v-ginsberg-discretion-drafting-tip/
"For clarity, consider stating whether the discretion is to be sole and unfettered discretion, or whether instead it is to be reasonable discretion; the former might convince a court not to look to a duty of good faith and fair dealing. See, e.g., Shoney’s LLC v. MAC East, LLC, 27 So.3d 1216, 1220-21 (Ala. 2009) (on certification from Eleventh Circuit; sole discretion means an absolute reservation of a right not mitigated by an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing)."

That's why when you search Golds Gym discrimination:
https://www.google.com/#q=gold%27s+gym+discrimination&;*

You see other sketchy sole discretion Golds Gym bans like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIv9_-vChM
"My brother goes down to clermont to work out, and for us it's like an hour drive. He drives down to clermont to workout with his buddies and he's told that he's banned and can't walk into their facility. So my brother just drove all that way and burned a bunch of gas and he's like okay I'm pretty pissed."

And Golds Gym being rated F by Better Business Bureau starts to make sense:
https://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/gymnasiums/golds-gym-international-in-dallas-tx-90027407

Editing out my name and photo two years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:44PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: April 22, 2017 09:31AM

Editing out after 2 years.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:45PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: October 03, 2017 01:51PM

Editing out stuff after 2 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:46PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: October 04, 2017 08:31AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:46PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: October 13, 2017 12:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:47PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Date: October 23, 2017 08:12AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 04:48PM by BannedFromGoldsGym.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.