HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Vienna :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why Does Vienna Suck?
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 10, 2007 11:21PM

Why does Vienna suck?
I can think of a few things off the top of my head...

Is it the ridiculous amount of police?
The number of stop signs?
The horrendous construction?
The traffic on 123 at all times of the day?
The rush-rush asshole drivers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Does Vienna Suck?
Posted by: Dadam ()
Date: March 24, 2008 05:55PM

Most of the things listed are the result of an idiot mayor and an inept town council. They all live and work within the town limits, so they're blind to the traffic problems caused by construction etc. If you ever have to go THROUGH Vienna to get to/from work or anywhere else you may be headed then you know you're more or less fucked (unless you know the back roads that drop you off on Hunter Mill). As for the police being a bunch of fuckheads, I just let them tailgate me on the residential streets (as they always do) and hit the brakes a little harder than usual at speed humps. Can't pull me over if I'm not doing anything wrong, can you? DADAM FOR MAYOR!!!

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 03, 2008 10:52PM

Yes, they will pull you over for no reason... don't worry with the Vienna laws they will find one.

I live in the Chantilly area and commute to Vienna. I must say I absolutely HATE Vienna. It has almost ZERO redeeming value. The residents are stuck up idiots, the cops are nazi jackasses that spend the entire day ticketing for the most obsurd violations (don't even get me started on the whole "don't turn here 11-1p stuff), and the whole town is setup to be one huge accident zone waiting to happen. I'm sorry I was wrong, the only good thing about the town is the nice community center you can stop off at when you're biking on the W&OD. I'd move out of the country before I'd EVER move to Vienna--of course you'd have to win the lottery to afford a place there anyway.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: September 23, 2008 04:55PM

Enigma, you don't have to lie. You actually live in Manassas.

Posted by: skumm ()
Date: December 03, 2008 07:41AM

it's sort of depressing to hear other people bash my town for reasons i've considered myself but have instead chosen to disregard in favor of a more positive outlook.

what im trying to say is that you make me hate my life

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: March 05, 2009 10:18AM

Actually, the only thing that sucks about Vienna is that asshats from Chantilly drive through here and clog up our streets. I say get the fuck out; go get a job at Shoppers Food Warehouse in Chantilly stacking bananas, you dumbass!

Posted by: Former JMHS Warhawk ()
Date: March 25, 2009 02:44PM

I grew up in the same house in Vienna - from infancy until college. I loved that place growing up. I could bike from one end to the other and back again all summer long. Play pickup sports in any number of parks or open spaces. A small community where friends in elementary school ended up graduating high school with you too. I wish my kids could experience that - instead of isolated subdivisions along a 4 lane highway in an area so transient it's like living with gypsies. Sadly, when my grandmother died 2 years ago, we sold her house and I haven't had reason to go back into Vienna

But from college graduation (95) until now, I can say that I didn't like what the town has become - a giant parking lot for fuckers coming from the cookie cutter Fairfax subdivisions into Tysons and McLean. 34 mattress stores. A "trendy" attitude with all that "upscale" shit on Church Street. It's like the new North Arlington: "Ooo, look at me, I have a house in Vienna, I'm so classy...". Nevermind that it takes 30 minutes to get from Glyndon Park to the Metro. God help you if you have to go into Tyson's or Fairfax to get to a Home Depot or Best Buy on a Saturday afternoon.

That "small town" atmosphere that the town council so desperately wanted to hold onto has been destroyed by traffic congestion and bullshit construction. Plus the "noveau riche" assholes moving in don't help.

Posted by: Warhawk2 ()
Date: March 25, 2009 04:24PM

Lighten up Francis - Vienna does still have some of the same qualities you remember from your childhood. The sports programs (VYI) are pretty decent if not stellar, as are the parks, the town events and parades are plentiful and loads of fun for kids. You will regularly run into neighbors and friends in town, have access to bikes paths, major transport routes or systems like metro, 66, 50 and 495, low crime, good schools, plenty of shopping (for things other than mattresses, too) and job opportunities nearby, which begs the question - what more do you want from a town?

You might have some "noveau riche," but Vienna is far from upscale with a good mix of young and old, rich and middle class, US and foreign born. Vienna is anything but trendy (can you say Vienna Inn?) and if anything, that "small town" stuff has kept it in a time warp and inhibited its growth or redevelopment. Show me a town around DC or in the Southeast U.S. for that matter that has all of the qualities mentioned above - you'll be hard pressed to do so.

Traffic is a nightmare throughout the DC metro area and Vienna is no exception, yet I find that by taking backroads and the metro, I can still get around relatively easily. 30 mins to the metro? c'mon - it's 5-10 at most if you take the right roads. I always get to the FFX Circle Home Depot without a hitch. Guess I'm a Vienna defender who actually still thinks it rocks!

Posted by: Magic ()
Date: April 16, 2009 12:10AM

I love the Town...for what it is...although crime/theft is up car break ins and such....it a quaint town. Haters just don't know about it...just make assumptions of people and places.

Posted by: Warhawk2 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 11:55AM

Lots of haters out there and that's fine - they're entitled. Crime is still relatively low in comparison to a lot of other areas, but we have our share. Living with the town limits, I've had a number of minor incidents with property damaged or stolen from my yard, drunks wandering through and actually passing out in or relieving themselves on my property, neighbors assaulting one another, etc. Have to say that VPD have responded to any calls in minutes!

Posted by: bullwinkle ()
Date: May 14, 2009 11:35PM

Vienna is a great place to live and work. It has so much to offer. It is true traffic is bad all over DC area, so don't hang that only on Vienna. Upscale and downscale, Vienna has it all, except for maybe a beach or ski slope. The haters need to go have a beer and chilli dog at the Vienna Inn.

Posted by: Jimmy Baxter ()
Date: October 02, 2009 01:04PM

What's up with all the lame comments and jokes on this web page? I'm guessing it's loser 14 year olds who are tired of playing video games and jacking off. Hey - get off your computers and try to contribute something to society. Or better yet, get our of the house and try to get laid. (of course, that might require lots of acne cream)

Posted by: Uberdrinkin ()
Date: October 09, 2009 01:47PM

Here is but one of many reasons Vienna sucks: The town throws an Octoberfest party, then arrests people for being drunk in public.

Arrest- Drunk in Public 09-9817
Church Street at Mill Street, NE
October 3 6:10 p.m.
PFC Bailey observed an apparently intoxicated male subject stumbling around and
bumping in to people at the Vienna Oktoberfest. PFC Bailey detained the subject and
Officer Lyons responded to take custody of the man.
Officer Lyons arrested 22 year old James Stephen Kohlhaas of West King Street in
Strasburg, Virginia for Drunk in Public. He was then transported to the Fairfax County
Adult Detention Center.

Posted by: Jay-s ()
Date: July 11, 2013 09:38AM

the people are ignorant to their arrogance.

i rented a basement from a total idiot on Glyndon Road SE. the central AC/heater in this woman's house broke in february. she never got it repaired - so i went all winter with little heat (provided by a space heater) and all summer with no AC. mold became a problem. her flippant attitude and lack of action was unbelieveable. she had no intention of spending thousands so that the renter (me) could have a liveable situation. (yes, in retrospect, i should have handled it differently, if not file a complaint).

vienna was a weird place - people in the neighborhood would stare, then look away and not respond if you say 'hello'.

they would tailgate you just a foot from your car's rear end because they have no idea how violating that may be.

the rich kid football players drove around drunk. ive seen these idiots in a moving vehicle that would leave a parking lot onto maple avenue at top speed.

vienna is probably no different than hundreds of other places in the western world that are well-to-do suburbs on a metropolitan fringe. but it sucked - i hated it, and its not for lack of trying to like it. the people there were so impersonal, so uncaring, so scared, cold, and mean.

Posted by: Zimmerman ()
Date: July 19, 2013 03:01PM

vienna was a weird place - people in the neighborhood would stare, then look away and not respond if you say 'hello'.

This is quite true...lots of Asbergers/social retards in Vienna...must be something in the water. I used to say "hello" to my Vienna neighbors, but they would nervously eye fuck me and not respond...

Posted by: Lord of the Wild ()
Date: July 22, 2013 06:26PM

Whatever problems Vienna may have, it's still much better than the rest of the DMV area.

Best Music Store: Vienna Music Exchange
Best Comic Book Stores: EG Comics and Big Planet Comics
Best Grocery Stores: Whole Foods and Maple Avenue Market
Best Restaurant: Bazins
Best Cheap Eat: Pure Pasty
Best Liquor Store: Norm's Beer & Wine

The Best Bakery, Pastries by Randolph, is in Arlington but Sweet City and Silva's are good.

Posted by: Close one! ()
Date: August 29, 2013 12:09PM

I used to leave Vienna sometimes. But I soon discovered that everyone everywhere else was either delusional from malaria or was a zombie. I returned as quickly as I could. Glad I made it back in one piece!

Posted by: tombombadil ()
Date: December 16, 2013 05:00AM

I don't really mind Vienna. The people are a bit snobby in some parts but you get that in just about any nova town. The biggest problem is how the citizens can pass just about any law they want with a few signatures. This is what causes all those DO NOT ENTER 6-9:30 or 3:30-7pm streets to show up. It is also why there are some retarded laws in the town and why they have speed checks on every road with a hill. Also the lights on 123 are timed horribly. Especially the one for Lawyers road. Once you get past Lawyers (going south) it is not too bad.

Posted by: Beavis ()
Date: December 16, 2013 11:18PM

Vienna is good place for families. Pretty lame if you are younger and single. Town council are idiots but that is why I live outside city limits. Restaurants are ok but mostly overrated.

Posted by: Town Green ()
Date: March 22, 2016 05:01PM

OP, has your assessment changed?

Posted by: jorge2 ()
Date: December 27, 2016 12:59PM

I lived in a basement unit on Glyndon Road SE some years ago.

I froze my butt off in winter - see, the HVAC was in disrepair. Come spring, I was fighing mold growth because of the humidity down there.

The home owner did not take any action. I guess it was too expensive for her or something.

Because of the mold and intense humidity, I threw away clothes, sporting equipment, a nice calculator (damaged from the humidity). I had to keep wiping at the wall outlets because green growth (mold?) would grow out of it every few days.

It was horrendous, and I am not exaggerating at how unbearably humid it was in the basement (well, with no AC service...).

I guess at the time I was too passive for my own good, and did not think of suing her, or at least bringing this to the attention of some consumer protection board.

She let me leave before the end of my single year lease; i moved out before the end of the summer.

No wonder she was divorced - she was an arrogant, pompous bitch. She treated me like an annoying cold sore. She insulted me in front of her hired help - a hispanic hired to do the yard work. When I suggested Mandarin might become an important language in the coming years, she translated with a look like "hey Jose, check out what this asshole is saying...".

First initial "M" - still the biggest douchebag woman I ever had an association with...and well suited for Vienna.

Posted by: vienna is boring ()
Date: February 22, 2017 07:54PM

Vienna is boring and if you wanna do anything you have to go farther out anyway and the closeest walmart is one of the tiny ones

Posted by: 123 Commuter ()
Date: March 08, 2017 09:34PM

Vienna thinks it can live without the rest of Northern Virginia but the rest of Northern Virginia can't live without it. If Vienna wasn't located right next to Tysons, nobody would care about it.

Posted by: Pleasant Valley Funbags ()
Date: March 26, 2017 10:25PM

Yeah, well, Vienna has the best community center ever!

Oops...

Never mind...

Posted by: Billy Joel ()
Date: April 04, 2017 09:43PM

Pleasant Valley Funbags Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, well, Vienna has the best community center
> ever!
>
> Oops...
>
> Never mind...

When will you realize? Vienna waits for you.

Posted by: Viva Vienna ()
Date: April 06, 2017 02:57PM

Billy Joel Wrote:
> Pleasant Valley Funbags Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, well, Vienna has the best community
> center
> > ever!
> >
> > Oops...
> >
> > Never mind...
>
>
> When will you realize? Vienna waits for you.

Vienna waits for no man!

Posted by: Billy Joel ()
Date: April 09, 2017 09:03AM

Viva Vienna Wrote:
> Billy Joel Wrote:
> -----
> > Pleasant Valley Funbags Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Yeah, well, Vienna has the best community
> > center
> > > ever!
> > >
> > > Oops...
> > >
> > > Never mind...
> >
> >
> > When will you realize? Vienna waits for you.
>
>
> Vienna waits for no man!

Slow down,you crazy child...you're so ambitious for a juvenile..

Posted by: 3rd Generation Ffx ()
Date: July 14, 2017 03:13AM

Vienna has always been lame. Because the people are so self-impressed while being less moneyed (that's a weird trick to pull off). Now it's even worse, because it's crowded as well.

Best indisputable facts that Vienna sucks...

Best Music Store = Vienna Music Exchange
Best Comic Book Stores = EG Comics and Big Planet Comics
Best Grocery Stores = Whole Foods and Maple Avenue Market
Best Restaurant = Bazins
Best Cheap Eat = Pure Pasty
Best Liquor Store = Norm's Beer & Wine
Best place to get aids & die = Vienna.

Posted by: Donkey66 ()
Date: September 05, 2017 06:32PM

Normal people, like myself, just use 123 as a cut thru to get home/work. Nobody wants to sit at your non-synched lights when no one is at the other light. Make them all green for a good half hour at a time and let us pass that shithole town. BTW, same with Oakton.

Posted by: HelloGame ()
Date: November 27, 2017 12:20PM

Zimmerman Wrote:
> vienna was a weird place - people in the
> neighborhood would stare, then look away and not
> respond if you say 'hello'.
>
>
>
> This is quite true...lots of Asbergers/social
> retards in Vienna...must be something in the
> water. I used to say "hello" to my Vienna
> neighbors, but they would nervously eye fuck me
> and not respond...

Yes, that the way in Oakton too. I find, however, Vienna has more professional women, more open. So when people say Vienna sucks (and its does), I say at least it's not Oakton. Oakton people are both arrogant and ignorant, and the women there talk like teenagers.

Posted by: Medic 62 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 10:51AM

I have lived in Vienna for 25+ years and it is time to leave. The people who have moved here from liberal cities have brought their leftist failed policies with them. You have ruined this once great small town. You bitch and moan about the commercial growth on Maple Ave. while you live in your McMansion. We have one conservative on the Town Council so don't blame us.

Posted by: Ann marineo ()
Date: January 28, 2021 11:13PM

Too many rich people

Posted by: Vienna crimewatch ()
Date: March 04, 2021 10:04PM

Frankly, The Vienna crime report is posted weekly and Is some fantastic reading for those interested. A lot of lost dogs and folks forgetting the alarm code. It is kind of funny when a string of kids car hopping up the bock. But Vienna doesn’t suck. Tysons sucks and the interaction of the too is kindA like RoboCop and his partner having some type of romantic relationship. Don’t dog on the Chantilly folks trying to get to work. The beltways wasn’t built for cross commuting. I’m all for the small town feel, Y’all deserve some sort of historical preservation code, but don’t complain about the traffic and then fight development on metro bus routes! Do you think these people want to live in the sticks? Nr- cutting cover a Express tunnel down Maple Or try to get it someone to put a metro extension on 50. Those folks up in north Arlington fucked us all in the 70s when they didn’t build Out 66. We can do better then that... also Church Street is cute that is all

Posted by: I agree ()
Date: November 16, 2021 02:57PM

I agree with the too many rich people. When I was a young kid, there weren't as many rich people in the area. Now Mike Pence has a house in Vienna. (fucking crazy) I know that as soon as my parents sell their house or if they die living there and I sell it, it's going to get torn down and a McMansion is going to be built there. It's sad knowing that I'll likely never be able to afford to live where I grow up unless my parents died, I inherited their house, and decided to keep it instead of selling it.

The worst crime I heard of being committed in Vienna was when I was in high school these kids liked to steal street signs and leave them on random people's lawns.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.