HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Herndon :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Oak Hill
Posted by: fuh realz ()
Date: August 30, 2011 04:28PM

I live in Oak Hill, not Herndon. Get it straight, people! 20171 zip code is Oak Hill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oak Hill
Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: September 01, 2011 01:27PM

Really? How come the map says Herndon?

Posted by: ffxstalker ()
Date: September 01, 2011 02:09PM

really? I work in HERNDON and the Zip is 20171. Face it, giving the area a fancy name doesn't change the fact you live in Herndon. Get it straignt.

Posted by: Oak Hill Resident ()
Date: September 02, 2011 07:18AM

About 7 years ago, Herndon Post Office got overcrowded. So they opened up the Oak Hill Branch. Those who live in 20171 are services by that branch. Either Herndon or Oak Hill works for mail. However, doesn't it make it clearer that Oak Hill means you live south of the Toll Road? Why does it have to be a snob thing??? Before Oak Hill, I never felt right using Herndon because I didn't live in the "Town of Herndon" and so didn't get the resident rates at the Herndon Community Center. It's NOT a snob thing. Just a clarification people.

Posted by: 3rd Generation FFx ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:18PM

>>>"I live in Oak Hill, not Herndon. Get it straight, people! 20171 zip code is Oak Hill."

. . .

Thou doth protest too much...precisely because it is a "snob thing"... "people!" *lol*. And Oak Hill residents are so renowned for decrying their link with Herndon, it has become an ongoing eye-rolling local joke. What a great example this thread is of that as well as a great snob-falling-on-face moment that you went out of your way to "set people straight" on a zip code (90125 it is not *lol*). When the 20171 zip code IS both a Herndon & Oak Hill zip code. And previously was EXCLUSIVELY Herndon, but has never been exclusively Oak Hill. And the post office accepts either one with the the same zip code (care to "set them straight"?). I wrote friends there before & after the change. So why is there always the big deal about the "NOT HERNDON" affix?? If it is not the very "snob thing" that is also being denied.

>>>"It's NOT a snob thing. Just clarification people."

(Well as long as we are all talking to the "people" here *lol*) People, I grew up in Oakton, across the street from Herndon (later Oak Hill) and I know it is absolutely a "snob thing", don't act like it isn't. Why didn't they change the name to "Herndale" or "Herndon Heights" or "Herndon Acres" *lol* because they wanted to milk the higher property values of "Oakton" not "Herndon" (some have suggested "Her-ton" pronounced "Hurtin" when the Oak Hill residents become too shrill). And no one, but no one fusses about "Oak Hill not Herndon" as much as the "O.H.N.H.s" (pronounced on-highs, ie people who live in OakHillNotHerndon). So much so, that "Not Herndon" is added to the end of "Oak Hill" as frequently as "DC" is added to the end of "Washington" *LMAO* As the starter of this thread continues this hysterical local nuance in its opening lines.

And why is that?? People in Chantilly don't fuss if you say Fairfax, they just go - yeah, Fairfax-Chantilly there abouts. And people in Oakton don't fuss if you say Vienna, they just go - yeah, Vienna-Oakton there abouts. But oh, the Oak Hill crowd, has got to "set people straight". No one dares go Oak Hill-Herndon there abouts. EEEeeew! *lol*

>>>"Before Oak Hill, I never felt right using Herndon because I didn't live in the "Town of Herndon".

Oh really?? Nothing snobby about OHNHs saying that. Except why don't people not "feel right" about using Fairfax when they don't live in the City of Fairfax, or Vienna but not the City of Vienna, or Alexandria but not the City of Alexandria, etc, etc ad naseum. Because the "Not Herndon" movement is one of the biggest "snob things" going.

And then there was the protesting by the OHNHs when they changed the school borders of the over populated Oakton Highschool and people got switched to South Lakes which is more than twice as close. Face it, "OakHillNotHerndon" is one of the worst "wanna-be" areas of Fairfax County.

PS:
I wish they would rename Oakton, Western Anacostia. Oak Hill would crap their pants. Too many snobs putting on airs in Fairfax now days.

Posted by: ssdiarea ()
Date: August 16, 2012 04:40AM

I feel bad for all of the parents who bought houses specifically in Herndon/Oak Hill so that their kids would go to Oakton, because about 10 years ago, all of 20171 went there. They started chipping away at boundaries though (I was the first class from my part of 20171 to go to Westfield), and you can bet those families are pissed.

Also...The only REAL difference between Town of Herndon and Oak Hill are 1) the itsy bitsy town government that Herndon has, and 2)the zip, ToH is 20170 and Oak Hill are 20171.

By the way, "Oak Hill not Herndon" is a snob thing. There is really no difference. Oak Hill is just a branch of the Herndon post office. Get the fuck over it.

Posted by: Enigma ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:09PM

fuh realz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Oak Hill, not Herndon. Get it straight,
> people! 20171 zip code is Oak Hill.

Funny, someone better tell Google: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=20171&aq=f&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

and Bing: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=20171&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

and MapQuest: http://www.mapquest.com/#e61eba387e2bb563d2b2e1bd
and FairFax County itself: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/deptinfo/stations.htm

Sorry, you elitist douche... you live in ghetto Herndon. Deal with it!

Posted by: SofTollRd ()
Date: November 04, 2012 09:52AM

Looking at Elden, north of the Toll Road (Herndon) is a MUCH different demographic than south of the Toll Road (Oak Hill).

The reason they have different names is because they are two very different towns.

People living in Oak Hill wouldn't be comfortable living in Herndon, and those living in Herndon wouldn't want to move to Oak Hill because they wouldn't have easy access to a public laundromat or cheap housing.

Posted by: humanperson ()
Date: March 16, 2015 08:41AM

Snooty Hollow.

Posted by: Jealousy rears ()
Date: July 23, 2015 05:39PM

You must be jealous or you wouldn't get so worked up over it.

Posted by: kxTnh ()
Date: April 09, 2017 06:31PM

kxTnh

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.