HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Litter
Posted by: Angry HomeOwner ()
Date: December 04, 2010 11:54AM

Who litters anymore?

i see alot of trash on awbrey patent. just lazy? or dont have a trash can at home?
I was just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Litter
Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: December 04, 2010 04:41PM

Sadly, it seems to be a mix of kids and people of other cultures that do not place any value on the environment or the aesthetics of a neighborhood. I would estimate about 70% of all the litter along Awbrey comes straight from the McDonald's on Stone Road. Seems when people are done with their food and drinks they just drop it or toss it. See a lot of empty cigarette packs, Starbucks and 7-11 debris, gum wrappers, Gatorade bottles and assorted sport drinks. But still McDonald's is by far the worst offender.

It was a lot worse a few years ago during the height of the economic boom – say around 2004-2005. Things have actually gotten better since the economy and housing took a nosedive. A few years ago I was pulling Giant shopping carts out of the Big Rocky Run and off the streets - I remember one day I pushed back a row of about 7 or 8 shopping carts - don't see that much anymore either.

I should point out that while I do curse the darkness along with you - I also light the proverbial candle. At least once a month for the last 10 years I pick up trash along the Big Rocky Run stream valley and streets around the neighborhood. So next time you are out for a walk – take a bag along and pick up the litter. Ironically, I just now got back from picking up trash along Awbrey Patent (so most likely it's not there anymore).

The less litter people see the less likely they are to add to it.
Also, every year in the late winter/early spring the Newgate HOA sponsors a neighborhood cleanup – despite over 800 homes in Newgate last year fewer than 30 people showed up to help…

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.