HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Centreville :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Grand Mart Closing
Posted by: Josh Lee ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:44PM

Grand Mart in Centreville closing on 4/14. I've really enjoyed the convenience of a local market. Anyone know why this grocery is closing and what's coming in it's place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grand Mart Closing
Posted by: Sk ()
Date: April 26, 2013 01:45PM

Harris Teeter

Posted by: ANommmmmomom ()
Date: April 28, 2013 02:49PM

idk why the meat had samonella?

Posted by: drew2000 ()
Date: May 05, 2013 01:56PM

Sk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harris Teeter

That would be awesome!

drew

Posted by: Rotten Fish ()
Date: May 12, 2013 10:47AM

What was the cause of the closure:

1) Too many health violations?

2) Or, too much competition?

When I went into the place a few years back, the whole seafood area was nasty. They had fish in various containers stacked on the floor in front of the meat case. All of the water from the leaking containers caused many of the tiles on the floor to lift up and they would then just toss them.

I'm sure from a health inspector's perspective, Grand Mart was worthy of about 2 pages of write-ups from a typical visit. Granted, I'm not sure some of the other local restaurants would be any better -- but most would not have that open fish market atmosphere either.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: May 21, 2013 08:01AM

Is the Centreville Grand Mart Closed Now ?

Here are 2 photos I found doing a Google Image Search.

Here in Vienna/Fairfax Circle Area (Provident District Fairfax) we have Super H and Lotti Korean Asia Markets that are both rather popular here.

You guys in Centreville do not have a Lotti or Super H Mart type Korean Asian Food Market ?

Cafe Twin
Attachments:
CENTREVILLE GRANDMART ar12587766788405.jpg
CENTREVILLE GRANDMART 112865.jpg

Posted by: Chaego ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:59AM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the Centreville Grand Mart Closed Now ?

Yes, it's closed.

> Here are 2 photos I found doing a Google Image
> Search.

How nice for you.

> Here in Vienna/Fairfax Circle Area (Provident
> District Fairfax) we have Super H and Lotti Korean
> Asia Markets that are both rather popular here.
>
> You guys in Centreville do not have a Lotti or
> Super H Mart type Korean Asian Food Market ?

H Mart's been open in Centreville a little over a year, after purchasing the former Hanaro Food (whose owner, incidentally, seems to have been caught up in the real estate scam recently busted by the feds). There's also Lotte Plaza in Chantilly.

Posted by: Cum Quat ()
Date: September 08, 2013 05:33PM

New LOTTE coming, offering to a congruent community.

Posted by: Expat ()
Date: November 23, 2013 10:56PM

For decades, the grocery business has had very low profit margins. Even some of the big names, such as Harris Teeter and Safeway, literally make almost no profit. They rely on volume discounts from their wholesalers, heavy cash flow and rapidly turning over inventory to stay in business. THe larger chains also have very sophisticated ways of determining what items to carry and which to drop from their store offerings; the Korean supermarkets simply do not not have the corporate structure and analytic capacity to do this, so they stock goods that do not make much money but may be what they think they need to carry to keep their "Koreanness." You have to admire the ambition of the entrepreneurs who run Lotte, Hmart and these other Korean stores but their business acumen is simply lacking. They'd make more money running a small corner convenience store because the former can charge huge markups, while Grand Mart has to compete against Giant or Wegmans, which own many times more stores and can get wholesale volume discounts. I always wondered why those Korean stores had no heat in the winter and no air conditions in the summer....

Posted by: so what exactly is that?... ()
Date: November 24, 2013 06:45PM

They might make more money if the fresh food section didn't look like the National zoo.

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: December 04, 2013 10:40PM

The one in Sterling on Route 7 looks like it's going to be closing. I went by this weekend and thought shoppers had cleaned out their shelves over Thanksgiving. Today, they haven't been restocking the aisles. The produce section has been getting replenished.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.