HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Absolute must read
Posted by: Munson ()
Date: May 04, 2008 09:30PM

http://www.deepcapture.com/

If you invest in the market (even if you don't the story is unreal!)

Jerod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Absolute must read
Posted by: Seriously ()
Date: May 05, 2008 05:20AM

Munson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.deepcapture.com/
>
> If you invest in the market (even if you don't the
> story is unreal!)
>
> Jerod

This stuff really happened?

Except:

"One day in the Fall of 2006, Senator Orinn Hatch called Patrick to his home. He does that sometimes - they take walks together, discuss politics and the state of the nation. But this time, the senator wanted to talk about something else.

When Patrick entered the building, the senator pulled him into a corner of the lobby. “I am going to tell you something,” he said. “But I cannot tell you more than this. You are up against some really nasty, vicious people. They will not hesitate to kill you.”

The senator took a deep breath and continued. “I want you to do something for me. I want you, the next chance you get, to go on TV or radio and say the following. Say that if anything happens to you, Orinn Hatch says that he’s never going to rest until the United States government has gotten the people who did it. Now I’m not kidding, Patrick, I want you to do that tomorrow if you can.”

The senator repeated this several times. And he made Patrick repeat it back to him. "

"In January, 2007, Patrick accepted an invitation to meet an offshore investor in a greasy spoon diner in Long Island. They had never previously met, but over the previous year the man had fed Patrick bits and pieces of information about the workings of the phantom stock scam, and the hope was that he might have something more to say in person. But that day at the diner, all he had was a message.

“I’ll make this quick,” he said, with two other witnesses present. “I have a message for you from Russia. The message is, ‘We are about to kill you. We are about to kill you.’ Patrick, they are going to kill you. If you do not stop this crusade, they will kill you. Normally they’d have already hurt someone close to you as a warning, but you’re so weird, they don’t know how you’d react.”

"A lot of people bowed out of the fight, but Patrick did not relent. In answer to the threat from the Russians, Patrick asked for a week “to think about things.” During the week, the man from the diner called to ask one of Patrick’s colleagues, “Is it going to take Byrne having a gun in his mouth before he backs down?”

At the end of the week, Patrick received a phone call: “The Russians want to know your answer.” Patrick said he needed just another few days to think.

Two days later, he filed a $3.5 billion lawsuit against the entire brokerage industry, which he accused of helping hedge funds sell phantom stock.

Patrick received one last email from the Russians’ intermediary: “Nice raise. LOL.”

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: May 05, 2008 07:04AM

Im afraid this topic will go over the head of most on here...it doesnt blame the world's woes on illegall immigrants who jaywalk.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: May 06, 2008 12:55PM

Munson Wrote:
> http://www.deepcapture.com/
>
> If you invest in the market (even if you don't the
> story is unreal!)
>
> Jerod

Damn man, I just spent way too much time reading that. It's riveting. The Bear Sterns implosion, Jim Cramer's short-selling cabal, Enron, the mob, etc....I don't invest in the market, and yes, the story is totally fascinating.

Now to buy something from overstock.com...

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: May 06, 2008 03:31PM

This made me chuckle:

"Sitting next to Herb, nodding in agreement, is Jim Cramer, host of “Mad Money.” This program is all that keeps CNBC out of the ratings quicksand, and it is easy to understand its appeal. Cramer is manifestly chimpanzee-like in both comportment and worldview–a fully arresting specimen of unsated mammalian appetition–a self-styled “journalist” who grunts and growls and snorts and says funny things like “Booyah!” while jumping up and down, smashing chairs, and telling people how to make shitloads of money gambling on the markets. Good TV!"

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: May 06, 2008 04:00PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Im afraid this topic will go over the head of most
> on here...it doesnt blame the world's woes on
> illegall immigrants who jaywalk.

You're stupid.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: May 06, 2008 05:14PM

When was this put out? Is it valid? It sounds too surreal to believe and I'm only a quarter of the way through it.

Posted by: Munson ()
Date: May 06, 2008 06:41PM

stinkypoon Wrote:
> When was this put out? Is it valid? It sounds
> too surreal to believe and I'm only a quarter of
> the way through it.

I've been following the Naked short selling for awhile but never heard anything in detail regarding the Mafia connections; just peripheral mentionings. If you google Herb Greenberg & OSTK or Gary Weiss and OSTk you'll see a bunch of mudslinging back and forth. I've been really surprised at how these journalist really behave!

Patrick Byrne is a character. Son of John Byrne of Geico fame and close friend to Warren Buffett. He's a cancer survivor multiple times. It's a pretty wild story but having followed the various chapters through the years, I'm one to believe it.

btw, another excellent read from Patrick at the Pan Massachussettes challenge regarding his fight with cancer. Truly inspiring: http://www.pmc.org/articles.asp?ArticleID=110

Jerod

Posted by: Jerod ()
Date: June 23, 2008 06:17AM

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: June 23, 2008 11:24AM

This sounds like 1929 all over again. You have a handful of speculators running companies into the ground for gain. What pisses me off is that the Fed pumped a bunch of Treasuries into Bear Stearns in exchange for its bogus subprime holdings and these bastards profited from it! These asshole speculators are raping the American public at every turn and the SEC and CFTC are doing nothing about it!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.