HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 920
Re: The Mike O'Meara Show
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:29PM

I stopped by the WJFK parking lot on Friday for the big O'Meara Show Hogfest. (Ok, to see the Hooters and Biker babes.)

My first disappointment was the Hooters girls were suppose to be there, seems they had better things to do because they didn't show up.

Was the parking lot packed like like Mike and Rob said? You can be the judge. I counted about 25 bikes and about 50 people. I'm guessing that most of people worked in the surrounding buildings or walked over from the nearby apartment complex because they heard a band.

A lot of people showed up for five minutes and then took off.

FYI - I met Beth Ann. Cute face but could lose about 100 pounds. She would probably still be fun in bed.

Here are some pictures.

1) This first picture is of the entire parking lot Hogfest crowd, about 40 people. Yes, you are seeing the ENTIRE Hogfest parking lot. That's Mike O'Meara(top middle) in all black standing in the middle of "the crowd" holding a mic. (to left of the guy in the white t-shirt)

2) The second picture is of Mike O'Mearo just after he got off his bike when he rode in. This is the part where he said "I'm riding into a huge crowd and their going wild." People barely noticed he had just pulled in.

From left to right: Rob is in the green hawaiian shirt with the head phones,(big dude who could probably be a body guard, O'Meara is the guy in the black shirt with his back to me, Buzz Burbank is on the right hold a mic. The red motorcycle to the right of them is Mike's hog.
Attachments:
Image002.jpg
Image003.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:41PM

That's pretty pathetic. How hard is it to get the damn Hooters girls? Isn't this the kind of shit they do for promotion all of the time? Isn't there a Hooters right there as well?

This shouldn't be surprising. Who drives a Hog and would have time for something like this? A 50-plus-year-old guy. What is the demographic for WJFK? 18-40? The guys who would come to this listen to WMAL, WTOP or NPR.

Posted by: Charlie ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:58PM

Mike O'Meara is a fatfuck, has-been, never-was douchebag that should be finally fucking forgotten so losers don't go take pics of him to post here. I wonder who his hot stripper girlfriend fucks on the side....she gonna need loot when he runs out.

Posted by: GoogleIt ()
Date: May 28, 2008 09:18AM

Wow, when you google "Mike O'Meara Show" this site comes up as the fourth one.

Posted by: Fat Ted ()
Date: May 28, 2008 09:19AM

"Don is busy working on lung and liver cancer in Ocean City. Don't blame him for not wanting to come back." -

And Mike O'Meara is working on Radio Cancer.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: May 28, 2008 09:40AM

In all fairness, whenever Don and Mike had an event at the station outside and invited their fans, usually only about 40 showed up. I live near there and have been to plenty of events over the years and there was never a huge crowd. I even met Cheryl the big dyke!(RIP) On the radio you hear cars honking and people yelling but that is the passing traffic and also kids leaving the Catholic HS in cars so you think there is a huge crowd if you are listening.

I would never have guessed BA as overweight. Why would someone so obese even spend money on implants??? Is that an exaggeration on your part.
Thanks for the pictures. I really like Buzz and I always liked to stop by to see him. By the way, if you want a great massage, right across the street is Fairfax Massage. I've been going there for years. Oh and for facials, I go to Fairfax Skin Care in the same complex.
I hope Mike can fine tune his show. Right now it is boring.

Posted by: Wha happin? ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:09PM

What happened to Sheryl the Big Dyke?

Posted by: Cancer ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:38PM

Cancer.

Posted by: Ron Jeremy ()
Date: May 28, 2008 12:49PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Oh and for facials, I go to Fairfax
> Skin Care in the same complex.

FYI - I give facials.

Date: May 28, 2008 01:04PM

I figured that Trickie would get some feedback on facials. LOL

Posted by: Jack ()
Date: May 28, 2008 02:02PM

The thing that truly amazes me about Mike is that he used to be funny, sarcastic, anti-radio management, anti-establishment, rude, crass, "i dont give a damn" type. He bragged that he never prepared for the D&M show and would show up to work 5 minutes before air time. Now he sounds as though he's playing for a Frank Sinatra/Judy Garland fan base. It's like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. None of the bits work. It is soooooo forced. Im not even sure what their target audience is anymore. It certainly is not males 18-50. It's more like old stay at home bats.......

Posted by: Ready to Leave ()
Date: May 28, 2008 03:44PM

I am giving the show one more week. If it doesn't improve I am gone. Is there anyway to check the shows ratings online?

Date: May 28, 2008 03:55PM

Ready to Leave Wrote:
> I am giving the show one more week. If it doesn't
> improve I am gone. Is there anyway to check the
> shows ratings online?

DCRTV.com posts quarterlies, but those won't be out for a while.

Posted by: Sean ()
Date: May 29, 2008 11:22AM

I think Mike will be able to turn it around, he is just getting his grounding. Don't give up Mike!

Date: May 29, 2008 11:39AM

Management dropped a caller for saying "fluffer" and O'Meara didn't say shit about it. If he is going to be a lapdog for Michael Hughes, he is going to be out of a job in six months.

Posted by: Censorshit ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:11PM

Well KHTK in Scatramento cut out the entire Joe's Stripper bit and replaced it with another show. I wonder if Mike knows about that.?

Date: May 29, 2008 01:17PM

Censorshit Wrote:
> Well KHTK in Scatramento cut out the entire Joe's
> Stripper bit and replaced it with another show. I
> wonder if Mike knows about that.?

Mike doesn't care. That's the difference between O'Meara and Don. Don cared. Mike doesn't. Just give him his check and he'll do Jack Diamond's shtick until he is forced off the air.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:43PM

i was laughing my ass off when they sent Beth Anne down to look at BDK's schlong and were told to MOVE on or you get in trouble. bwhahahahahaha

Posted by: Dicky Longnchubby ()
Date: May 29, 2008 04:51PM

Lets see you asshats do better. The man's world has been shaken a bit. They are trying too hard right now. They will get it right. I hope...

There is almost nothing else to listen to. Big O and Dukes are quite funny. Unlike when they were on WHFS. I live in Baltimore and now I have to listen to Ed Norris... My job wont let us stream so all i get are some podcasts. I really miss Don.

I think the radio execs have their talons in the show right now. That may be why Mike seems so uncomfortable and ass kissy. The show will likely never be what it was, but I grew up loving the format.

Posted by: lihkit ()
Date: May 29, 2008 05:29PM

Tricki Wrote:
> Ugh, I can't stand that bethann McBride. She is
> totally bland and says nothing of interest. Her
> voice is even a bore. I heard her doing a voice
> over for some Mother's Day ad today and I turned
> it off!!!
>
> Personally, I think Mike needs to go to rehab or
> something. he drinks too much and he looks so
> unhealthy. I am sick of him bragging about his
> girlfriend Karla too. I wonder if she is cute or
> ugly? He never talks about his kids anymore just
> his dog or Karla's dog.
>
> I really do like Buzz but they keep interrupting
> him all the time. Rob is semi-funny. And that
> pregnant mother game was just ridiculous.
> Give me the old days with Homo Joe, Dennis Murphy
> and Sherry Likker.
>
> Trickie

sucky

Posted by: chad ()
Date: May 29, 2008 10:45PM

Wow, you guys are all pretty harsh. Especially for a show that you are all so concerned about and seem to hate so much that you spend so much time listening and talking about.

I happen to think the Mike Omeara show is better than the Don and Mike show. The only complaint I have is Robb. He needs to go..I will agree with that. He comes across simply as a sidekick who does everything he can to get a laugh and suck up to Mike. His voice is hideous as well..

I don't see this show going anywhere anytime soon.

Posted by: Hanging Chad ()
Date: May 30, 2008 12:03AM

Most people I know named Chad are closeted gays or child molesters. So are you gonna come out of the closet or be on Dateline NBC? At the very least, you need to change your first name.

Date: May 30, 2008 09:57AM

chad Wrote:
> Wow, you guys are all pretty harsh. Especially for
> a show that you are all so concerned about and
> seem to hate so much that you spend so much time
> listening and talking about.
>

I haven't listened to the show in about two weeks. I have flipped over once or twice for about a minute or two before switching back to The Globe or some other station.

Two or three years ago, I was a WJFK listener. I would listen to Howard Stern in the morning, Don and Mike in the evenings and, if I left work late, Ron and Fez.

Not anymore. I can barely tolerate The Junkies. I would listen to them occasionally in the morning because I would have the radio on WJFK from the evening before when I listened to Don & Mike. But now that I don't listen to Mike O'Meara, I don't listen to The Junkies, either.

I think WJFK has been a sinking ship for years. No station can provide payroll to so many live, local, ensemble-cast shows and float around 15th in the ratings. It would be different if WJFK was still in the top 5 stations, but it's not. It must be hemorrhaging money.

Eventually management is going to have to make cuts. O'Meara's show, even with the cost savings of not having Don on it, must be one of the more expensive shows to run. It doesn't help that half of the "spots" on the show are promos, PSAs and "Per Inquiry" spots that pay crap. Sooner or later, Mike is going to be gone.

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: May 30, 2008 01:04PM

The junkies suck. I agree that WJFK is a sinking ship with overpaid talent.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 30, 2008 01:26PM

You mean overpaid employees.

Posted by: jack ()
Date: May 30, 2008 02:10PM

To respond to Chad: The frustration lies with the fact that most of us loved the Don and Mike Show (primarily pre-Janet Jackson incident). The frustration results from the fact that for the past two or three years, the show became less entertaining; though it was still listenable with Don. Even when the D&M show was around, I thought the show came to a halt when Mike would sub when Don was out sick or on leave as a result of Freeda. Mike didnt handle it well solo even on a temporary basis and is STRUGGLING on this permanent gig. The show has lost it's spontenaity (sp?), it's connection with the audience and its uniqueness. It just seems cookie cutter and forced. I almost cringe evertime Mike says (when the break for commercials) "we'll be right back with the Mike O'meara show." He states it like he's entertained by it, like he's bragging that he has his own show, it just seems pompous and phony. I havent heard him or Rob really say anthing nasty or insulting to callers like they used to. It's feels as though they should be spinning records in between their banter (ala Jack Diamond). I also cant stand how all the JFK'ers are popping up into the other shows in the line-up (ie. Cakes calling into Big O and Dukes, Mike or Rob showing up on their show, Big O showing up on the Junkies, etc etc). It is such a contrieved way to demonstrate to us dopey listeners that they are unified and one big happy family....

Date: May 30, 2008 02:54PM

jack Wrote:
I also cant stand how all the JFK'ers
> are popping up into the other shows in the line-up
> (ie. Cakes calling into Big O and Dukes, Mike or
> Rob showing up on their show, Big O showing up on
> the Junkies, etc etc). It is such a contrieved
> way to demonstrate to us dopey listeners that they
> are unified and one big happy family....

I think it is actually an attempt to cross-promote the shows. But since no one listens to any of these shows, it is a relatively pointless exercise in futility. It would make more sense to have these people popping up on 94.7 and other stations that are under the same management group. But God forbid Mike O'Meara should walk across the hall and stick his head in the door while Cerphe is on. That would be TOO revolutionary.

Posted by: Dicky Longnchubby ()
Date: May 30, 2008 04:39PM

Ron and Fez ruled when they were on. Where are they now? NYC right? Does anyone know of any show that is really good right now? I am looking for a new one to listen to. Thanks.

Posted by: Neil ()
Date: June 02, 2008 07:23AM

"But God forbid Mike O'Meara should walk across the hall and stick his head in the door while Cerphe is on. That would be TOO revolutionary."

Well, it might not be revolutionary, but it sure would be tough, considering WJFK's studios are in Fairfax, and the Globe's studios are in Silver Spring.

As far as WJFK goes... when you consider the crap that has been on that station the last few years (James Brown, Bill O'Reilly, Jay something, Peter Rosenberg, Penn Gillette, etc.) the station sounds better than it has in years. Looking around on dcrtv.com and radioandrecords.com, it looks like the ratings have been going up slightly over the last year or so.

Date: June 02, 2008 09:32AM

Neil Wrote:

>
> As far as WJFK goes... when you consider the crap
> that has been on that station the last few years
> (James Brown, Bill O'Reilly, Jay something, Peter
> Rosenberg, Penn Gillette, etc.) the station sounds
> better than it has in years. Looking around on
> dcrtv.com and radioandrecords.com, it looks like
> the ratings have been going up slightly over the
> last year or so.

The station is in 16th place. It lags behind stations with formats like "classic rock," "tropical" and "gospel." It is an FM talker that lags behind AM-based WMAL. It is a format without an audience.

Posted by: Alan ()
Date: June 02, 2008 10:30AM

The lineup at WJFK sounds like different people all trying to do the SAME SHOW. There is no diversity. The format is so watered down and dilluted that none of the shows have impact anymore.

Date: June 02, 2008 10:34AM

Now, now. The Junkies talk about online poker and boxers nobody has heard of. Every once in a while they will have a debate about the merits of Kimbo Slice. Keep in mind all of these guys are nearly 40 now, so why they are talking like a bunch of 20-something stoners, I have no idea.

On the other hand, Mike O'Meara has a hour-long phone interview with...a guy who runs an online poker site. Hmmm.

Maybe you have a point.

Posted by: Travis ()
Date: June 02, 2008 11:00AM

Dicky Longnchubby Wrote:
> Ron and Fez ruled when they were on. Where are
> they now? NYC right? Does anyone know of any show
> that is really good right now? I am looking for a
> new one to listen to. Thanks.

R&F are now on XM. As for good shows on right now, try The Hideout. It is cohosted by former R&F producer J Dubs. You can now hear it on Saturday nights 6-9.

Date: June 02, 2008 11:13AM

I do miss hearing Don have his meltdowns on the air. It's kind of like watching a car crash. You just can't turn away.

I worked in radio ages ago. Don would nail the mentality of management in radio. Most of these guys barely made it through college, if they went at all. A lot of them came up through sales and weren't much brighter than a used car salesman. Then, they would be put in charge of these multi-million dollar operations like they had an MBA or something. I only worked in radio for about four years, but I must have worked under six GMs. They were constantly being run out the door because none of them knew what they were doing.

Radio sucks.

Date: June 02, 2008 12:15PM

"News and talkers WTOP, WMAL, and WJFK-FM all down a bit. A 4.3-to-3.1 share dip in adults age 25-to-54 for the now-solo O'Meara on JFK, but 106.7ers say they ain't worried."

They aren't worried because they aren't the ones who are going to lose their jobs.

Posted by: Sean ()
Date: June 02, 2008 01:33PM

Thats like a vote of confience from a baseball owner after you've lost 10 in a row! "Ain't worried" = VERY worried.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 02, 2008 01:42PM

I don't know whats more painful about the Mike O'Meara show, listening to the DJ's or listening to the third grade *fan* losers who call in. NERD ALERT!!!!

Date: June 02, 2008 01:54PM

Jack Diamond's listeners are the worst. They sound like they just got out of the Lead Poisoning Ward at Redneck Adventist Hospital.

Date: June 02, 2008 02:00PM

From the motorcycle thing the other week. The only thing more boring than listening to it is watching it on YouTube...

The good news is if the show gets canceled, Mike and Robb should be able to survive on their fat for a while.

Posted by: JPAUL ()
Date: June 02, 2008 04:31PM

When is Mike going to start referring to his show as the "Showgram'? Oooh, thank goodness only one more day until "Argument Wednesday". That is such an original, entertaining idea. Im starting to think listening to an endless loop of "traffic and weather together on the eights" is more entertaining.....

Posted by: Hater ()
Date: June 02, 2008 04:34PM

Have they even let one nasty or disgrunted caller through? At least in the D&M days they would let the haters through. It's all just soooo campy now......

Posted by: Alan ()
Date: June 02, 2008 04:49PM

All O'meara needs to do now to complete his transformation into Jack Diamond is to bring back the crap band.

Posted by: Drunk Mike ()
Date: June 02, 2008 04:59PM

Does any else notice Mikes speech slurs? Listen to him interview the space alien guy, he sounds drunk a lot nowadays.

Date: June 02, 2008 05:04PM

I have noticed that. Before they had a "drinking show" once a year (the "green fairy" ones). Now they seem to be having "drinking shows" on a weekly if not daily basis. Can't wait until a drunk "M-Fer" gets by the censors.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 02, 2008 05:11PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
>> From the motorcycle thing the other week. The only thing more boring than listening to it is watching it on YouTube...

Yikes. Can anyone actually even watch that entire clip?

I am so glad I no longer listen to terrestrial radio...

Date: June 02, 2008 06:20PM

Mike is a lazy alcoholic who needs to get into rehab. He sounds like Judy Garland.

Posted by: Jason ()
Date: June 03, 2008 02:02AM

WashingToneLocian seems like a smart person and I enjoy his/her posts.

Date: June 03, 2008 08:50AM

The video sums up Hogfest perfectly. For a big promoted event it fell flat on it's face.

Date: June 03, 2008 10:00AM

Jason Wrote:
> WashingToneLocian seems like a smart person and I
> enjoy his/her posts.

Thanks. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: June 03, 2008 02:08PM

Given how the Mike O'Meara Show epitomizes the type of jive, cliched radio show that D&M used to lambast constantly, I would love to hear any conversations between Don and Mike after the new show debuted. I wonder if Don was just polite and blew smoke up Mike's ass about how great the show is or if he's given any honest criticism?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2008 02:09PM by Dan O..

Date: June 03, 2008 03:41PM

Dan O. Wrote:
> Given how the Mike O'Meara Show epitomizes the
> type of jive, cliched radio show that D&M used to
> lambast constantly, I would love to hear any
> conversations between Don and Mike after the new
> show debuted. I wonder if Don was just polite and
> blew smoke up Mike's ass about how great the show
> is or if he's given any honest criticism?

I don't think Don and Mike got along as well as they liked to portray on radio. I think Don was a stand-up guy and helped Mike get his gig, but I think that's all Don believes he owes Mike at this point. I don't doubt Don has told Mike his show sounds like shit. He probably hasn't been that blunt, but I'm sure he is offering all kinds of unsolicited advice that Mike is obviously ignoring.

Date: June 03, 2008 06:36PM

Mike must have an identity problem. He called his restaurant "O'mearas" and his radio show "The Mike O'meara Show." Very creative.

I tuned in the other day and they were interviewing some guy who wrote a book about alternative fuel sources (ie. corn). This just drives home to me that they dont know what the "f" their doing with the show. When did Don ever have serious conversations with enviornmentalists? AND IT WAS A SERIOUS INTERVIEW!!! Is Howard Stern or Opie and Anthony doing serious interviews with people who write books about nothing?

Posted by: tommy_knockerz ()
Date: June 03, 2008 06:43PM

I liked the don and mike show, but as mentioned, WJFK isn't doing too too well, which is why we get all the stupid commericals. big o and dukes were brought in to generate serious publicity, hence all the UFC stuff, live events, mixing the shows... mike's just trying to find the niche. No one should have even expected it to be remotely like D&M because well.... it's just M. I say give them a little time, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they get the axe when the contract expires.

Date: June 03, 2008 07:48PM

jack Wrote:
>> Is Howard Stern or Opie and Anthony doing serious interviews with
> people who write books about nothing?

No, in fact the Stern show is more entertaining than ever now that they don't have to listen to the FCC. The level of crude & offensive song parodies and the ridiculous prank phone calling has been taken to an unprecedented level. Today he interviewed Rosie O'Donnell, someone he has publicly (and rudely) feuded with for more than a decade. She talked some dirt about celebs she doesn't like, how she lost her virginity to a man, and the hollywood chicks she wants to have sex with, etc. She also admitted that she was molested as a child and explained how she was a 9/11 conspiracy theorist.

I couldn't imagine having to listen to a friggin' motorcycle fest, or an environmenalist book review.

Date: June 03, 2008 09:33PM

jack Wrote:
When did Don ever have
> serious conversations with enviornmentalists?

When they would do Jew to Jew or the Larry King Show. Ha!

Yeah, the show really does suck now. O'Meara may be interested in this stuff, which is fine for him. But it doesn't make for a good show.

Date: June 04, 2008 10:16AM

So if the Mike O'meara show gets canceled what do you all think will happen to Mike, Buzz, and Robbay?

Date: June 04, 2008 10:39AM

Tony Wrote:
> So if the Mike O'meara show gets canceled what do
> you all think will happen to Mike, Buzz, and
> Robbay?

Mike - Rehab

Buzz - WTOP

Robbay - A salesman in a shoe store.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 04, 2008 12:30PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Tony Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So if the Mike O'meara show gets canceled what
> do
> > you all think will happen to Mike, Buzz, and
> > Robbay?
>
>
> Mike - Rehab
>
> Buzz - WTOP
>
> Robbay - A salesman in a shoe store.

+1 on Robbay comment.

A shoe store for kids.

Date: June 04, 2008 01:29PM

Jester Wrote:

>
>
> +1 on Robbay comment.
>
> A shoe store for kids.

The difference between a career in radio and a career in retail is usually just one pink slip. Seen it happen more often than not.

Posted by: Don is king ()
Date: June 04, 2008 08:59PM

Don ROCKS!

Mike SUCKS!

Date: June 04, 2008 09:25PM

I think if Mike is cancelled, Buzz will be retained by one of the other JFK shows (I would guess Big O and Dukes because they have to fill so much airtime and he can eat up a portion of their show by doing his news bits). My guess is that Robee got to where he is because of his personal relationship with Don and will be dropped like a hot potato (unless he is such a wonderful producer that some other station picks him up). My guess is that Beth Ann disapears to some 5 watt radio station in Alabama.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: June 04, 2008 10:26PM

I caught a little bit of the show today. I am glad Mike is working with a trainer. He seems so unhealthy with all that weight. I hope he doesn't take some supplement like hoodia. He might have a heart attack.

Posted by: ian ()
Date: June 04, 2008 10:33PM

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the show inevitably fails, JFK might just shuffle O'Meara in as a second/third/eighth banana on another show (BO&D likely). I mean, the man obviously does have SOME broadcasting talent, but obviously not enough to run a show solo.

I kind of feel sorry for him -- it's gotta be rough to get such a demotion after so many years spent at the top of the WJFK mountain.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: June 05, 2008 12:26AM

I think the Mike O'Meara show is very entertaining. I think some folks are having a tough time accepting that it's a different show than D&M. In other words, a lot of folks were expecting the new show to be exactly like the D&M Show, minus one personality. The Mike O'Meara show is a significantly different form of entertainment, and it may appeal to a different audience. Mike has cut back on the juvenile antics, while adding a more intellectual dimension to the show. I think it's great!

Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: June 05, 2008 08:09AM

Juvenile = funny = don & mike show. BORING interviews = mike o show = waste of time. Geez, whats up for todays show? I sure hope Mike talks about gas prices and politics again! You don't hear that anywhere else.

Please, please, please somebody put this show out of its misery.

Posted by: Dan O. ()
Date: June 05, 2008 08:51AM

jack Wrote:
> My guess is that Robee got to where he is because of his personal
> relationship with Don and will be dropped like a
> hot potato (unless he is such a wonderful producer
> that some other station picks him up).

Rob couldn't have been that great a producer if even Don brought in a "real" producer to replace him after he had been filling in for that role.

Posted by: Dont Spin it ()
Date: June 05, 2008 10:33AM

"The Mike O'Meara show is a significantly different form of entertainment, and it may appeal to a different audience. Mike has cut back on the juvenile antics, while adding a more intellectual dimension to the show."

Gee - let me translate that. The Mike O'Meara show has lost 1/4 or 25% of the audience that it had in the begginning. Mike can't produce the funny so he has to rely on Buzz reading the newspaper as filler and Mike adding a comment or two at the end of each reading is suppose to be the new added "intellectual dimension" to the show.

Date: June 05, 2008 10:48AM

Nothing says "intellectual" more than Mike O'Meara.

Date: June 05, 2008 11:14AM

Bubba Wrote:
> I think the Mike O'Meara show is very
> entertaining.

Just like Jack Diamond is "entertaining."

I think some folks are having a
> tough time accepting that it's a different show
> than D&M.

Yes. Pretty much. You don't spend 20-some years creating the impression Robb is a pricky Nazi, Buzz is a pot smoking sex fiend and Mike is a jovial drunkard and then throw that all out the window in one day and expect a loyal audience to like it.

In other words, a lot of folks were
> expecting the new show to be exactly like the D&M
> Show, minus one personality.

See above statement.

The Mike O'Meara
> show is a significantly different form of
> entertainment,

In that it is not entertaining at all.

and it may appeal to a different
> audience.

One that advertisers apparently don't want, given the number of promos and PSAs being played.

Mike has cut back on the juvenile
> antics, while adding a more intellectual dimension
> to the show.

That's what NPR is for...and NPR is better at it as well.

>I think it's great!

You would be in the overwhelming minority.

Date: June 05, 2008 02:33PM

That's the problem with Mike's show....No one can agree as to who the target audience is and what's the vibe/point of the show. The show seems to falling into a void. It's seemingly trying to please everyone by touching on sports, current events, enviornmental issues, comedy, games, etc etc and they arent particularly good at any of them (I will give Buzz credit in his news reporting). At least with the Jack Diamond showgram, you get a reprieve from the nonsense when they spin records here and there.

I concur that they will likely end up splitting up the talent with Buzz doing what ever show replaces Mike and Mike being relegated to third banana (and making minimum wage) on the Big O and Dukes Show. Mike does have talent but he's more of an Ed McMahon than a Johnny Carson.....

Date: June 05, 2008 02:45PM

jack Wrote:

> Mike does have talent but he's more of an Ed
> McMahon than a Johnny Carson.....

Speaking of McMahon, let's hope Mike O'Meara is better with his money than McMahon...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hnRDS41TT3Iy0z4ISL2-0fOVA8pQD913ATJ00

Given the debacle with "Hank's Lookaround Cafe", I kind of doubt it.

Date: June 05, 2008 03:02PM

Mike being relegated to third banana (and
> making minimum wage) on the Big O and Dukes Show.
> Mike does have talent but he's more of an Ed
> McMahon than a Johnny Carson.....

Mike's Ego would never let that happen.

Date: June 05, 2008 03:26PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Mike being relegated to third banana (and
> > making minimum wage) on the Big O and Dukes
> Show.
> > Mike does have talent but he's more of an Ed
> > McMahon than a Johnny Carson.....
>
>
> Mike's Ego would never let that happen.

But his bank account might.

The guy needs to quit accumulating alimony payments, or wait until his kids turn 18 before he adds some more by marrying the stripper.

Posted by: jeff ()
Date: June 05, 2008 03:31PM

Hey on todays show, Tony Perkins local weatherman (for the 4th or 5th time since OMeara has had the show) and an author about a 9/11 book. Not funny. Send him to WMAL.

Date: June 05, 2008 03:33PM

jeff Wrote:
> Hey on todays show, Tony Perkins local weatherman
> (for the 4th or 5th time since OMeara has had the
> show) and an author about a 9/11 book. Not funny.
> Send him to WMAL.

Tony Perkins...AGAIN??????

You mean we have given up Robert the Mailman and Tom the 'Tard for THIS????

Posted by: whereisdon ()
Date: June 05, 2008 04:56PM

Is Tony "auditioning" for a permanent role? And what does "we'll be right this after that" supposed to mean?

Date: June 05, 2008 04:58PM

whereisdon Wrote:
> Is Tony "auditioning" for a permanent role?

Fox must be a sponsor.

And
> what does "we'll be right this after that"
> supposed to mean?

Ask Mike. I'm sure he doesn't know either.

Date: June 05, 2008 05:10PM

we'll be right this after that

is something Don would say. He fucked up saying we'll be right back one day and its been his unofficial sign off into commercials.

Date: June 05, 2008 09:21PM

Im starting to think that they should just do four hours of Buzz. Just have him read the Post or Times aloud cover to cover. And I am sick of them fawning over Beth Anne like she's some godess when she looks like Cakes from the Junkies with tits.

Posted by: Tbats ()
Date: June 05, 2008 09:30PM

I've tried the last month or so to give Mikes show a chance. I appreciate local radio and wished Don would have stayed even though I rarely listened any longer..

The Mike O'Meara Show is patently crappy. BethAnn adds nothing. Tonight Buzz ran another predictable story in his newsman voice about a "guy getting a DWI" in a wheelchair(like we haven't heard that before) Robb, who I liked on D&M is relegated to playing 2nd fiddle to Mike- who really can't seem to play the fiddle at all. Mike is a mediocre mimic and lacks the personality of Don neurotic as he may have been at times. His sports loyalities are up north and his political loyalities are predictable liberal crybaby stuff I doubt anyone cares to hear about. Mike has tried to add a "new twist" to the show with more serious and political disscussion and he just can't make it compelling or thought-provoking in anyway.

I'll give the show less than a year. When Don did his last show and Robb got choked up, it was probably because he knew he'd have to be getting a new job again soon. O'Meara seemed like he was leaving the show a few years back after he started eating Paxil or whatever dope d'jour he needed for stress.

I think the show is a transitional, fill-in, holding pattern thing. Prime the airwaves for someone new (and funny) like O and Dukes. I was a fan of 0&A even with the tape delay and lack of a local element. I would have been really torqed had someone else took over, but O & Dukes made it a little more bearable and now I truly think they are the future of JFK drivetime. The Junks are good, Ron and Fez were nice. O'Meara should have made a better run with the pub because his show will not make it. I know Mike has 20+ years experience in radio, but if he can't make me laugh, my radio is going somewhere else....

Posted by: Tbats ()
Date: June 05, 2008 09:32PM

I know some of the old listeners will tune in. How many of the old listeners will STAY?? ...And how many NEW listeners do they really think will tune in??

Date: June 05, 2008 09:34PM

I think the jury is in. Mike's show sucks.

Posted by: salty pickle ()
Date: June 06, 2008 01:40AM

Spin the dial losers! Then you wont have so much to CRY about!

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: June 06, 2008 09:41AM

25% of the audience has already decided to "Spin the dial". I don't think you have to encourage people to tune out of the Mike O'Meara show, they are already doing it on their own.

Date: June 06, 2008 01:54PM

Something is just missing and I don't know what. Maybe it's because Mike is doing the same stick and it just doesn't work without Don?

Posted by: RoyGBiv ()
Date: June 06, 2008 02:20PM

The thing that's missing is that Mike can't steer the show. It's all over the place and it's not funny. I used to listen everyday, but now only drop in once a week to see if it's getting better, but it's not. There's no chemistry on the show. Mike needs a funny sidekick.

Posted by: LurkerLB82 ()
Date: June 06, 2008 02:37PM

>>>Something is just missing and I don't know what. Maybe it's because Mike is doing the same stick and it just doesn't work without Don?

That's certainly part of it. You know, a few years ago (maybe 1999, 2000) I remember Mike explaining rather vehemently to some caller who was trying to bicker either Don or Mike into altering their entrenched roles on the show that, "Don is very type A and I'm comfortably type B. It works this way." (Quoting from memory but that was the substance of it.)

Mike nailed it with that remark, and so have many previous posts. Don was the driver, the pitcher, he really did run the show. I'll be honest, there were many times when Don infuriated me but he was always the heart (and brains) of the SHOW and his innate understanding of how to keep up the ratings and a need for EDGE was where he shone most.

The heavier censorship of today is a legitimate defense for any talk-shock format, but only a partial one; sadly, I have to say that after listening to every episode of Mike's show, and yeah I'll continue listening but the writing is on the wall for my cessation of same, Mike simply isn't capable of carrying his own show.

Another reason I listen is that I don't dislike Robb as much as most here do (but agree that he belongs in the background) and I haven't given up complete hope that some miracle may occur even though things seem grim. Beth Ann needs to go. Mike clearly wants a female voice in some form, so how about limited doses of Katy? Less is more -- something Mike should know after so much time in the business, but then he never had to be a real leader during those decades, either, did he?

Date: June 06, 2008 02:52PM

Beth Ann adds absolutely nothing to the show. She wasn't bad when Don was there because she kind of played "the mother" role. But without Don and Mike bickering or acting juvenile, she really serves no purpose. When she comes on, it is like a doze of Ambien has been injected into the entire audience.

My big problem with Robb is he went from being a cynical dick to being Jimmy Alexander. I miss Robb the Dick. The radio is full of Jimmy Alexanders.

By the way, I just looked at Kane's page on 99.5. The guy looks like he sounds...a fat, stupid redneck from Tampa.

Posted by: jeff ()
Date: June 06, 2008 02:53PM

Mike needs a funny sidekick? That's what he USED to be!! He needs someone else to actually run the show. Mike's show could move to WBAL or WMAL and even there he wouldn't be considered edgy or funny. Does he even do impressions anymore?

Date: June 06, 2008 04:09PM

Unfortunately, without satellite radio, there is nothing else to spin the dial to. I have to sit in Beltway traffic on the drive home and I cant listen to the same songs being played over and over again or the same new stories. I did try listening to some AM station talk shows but they were even worse. I have to say that listening to the "Money Pit" on the weekends is more informative and entertaining than Mike's show. The show BLOWS but it's the only thing on. I have no complaints about the Junkies or Big O and Dukes, they're fine. I dont listen past 7pm so I cant comment on shows played after that time.

I think the only way to turn it around is to recruit some new sidekick for Mike (perhaps a comedian), which JFK probably cant afford and move Robb and Beth Ann to the sidelines.

I even thought G Gordon Liddy was more entertaining than this dribble.....

Date: June 06, 2008 04:22PM

archive.org there. go to that site, download something and burn it onto a CD or MP3 ande Viola! something to listen to besides crap radio.

archive.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2008 04:36PM by ferfux.

Posted by: Beth Ann Blows ()
Date: June 06, 2008 04:26PM

Just turned on the show and Beth Ann is on the air.

CAAAAAAAAAAA-LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK!

I think I am done with the show. Time to load up the IPod.

Posted by: joseph ()
Date: June 07, 2008 07:27AM

Has anyone mentioned he has to get drunk now on "happy hour friday" to have a "decent" show one day a week? How sad.

Posted by: Javier ()
Date: June 07, 2008 03:30PM

I think the show has started off fairly well. I'm going to give it time to find its focus and develop.

Face it, the D&M Show had gotten maudlin and unfunny. It was akin to the old dog needing to be put down.

Date: June 07, 2008 03:44PM

Javier Wrote:
> I think the show has started off fairly well. I'm
> going to give it time to find its focus and
> develop.
>
> Face it, the D&M Show had gotten maudlin and
> unfunny. It was akin to the old dog needing to be
> put down.

The problem is crappy Don Geronimo was still more entertaining than good Mike O'Meara. That's really not saying much for O'Meara's show.

Posted by: jason ()
Date: June 07, 2008 07:03PM

And I cant stand the fact that they laugh hysterically at each other quips and joke attempts (it does sound like that forced, phoney laughter). And I love it when they get real serious when they interview some of the book writers or politicians. When was Mike and Robb ever serious on the D&M show. They have turned into the beast that they always made fun of and said they hated. Poor Buzz. He's the only one carrying the show at this point.

It's pretty sad these days when the best they can offer up as prizes are some crappy event tickets or tee shirts. Gone are the days when Don would have a car or $10k to throw around.

Any why does EVERY JFK program now have some trivia game component to it. If we wanted that, we can burn CDs of Jeapordy or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The entire lineup is starting to sound like the same show with different hosts.

Posted by: F@#$# Mike ()
Date: June 07, 2008 07:13PM

Mike needs to be a MAN for once in his life and step it up or get out of the business. I will say after listening to almost two months of the Mike O'Meara show that MIKE SUCKS ASS! The Don & Mike show should have been called the Don Geronimo Show with a few voices from Mike. That S.O.B. Mike (GoldenBoy) had the number one Podcast (over Oprah) and BLEW IT! F'ing dig your heels in and be a man Mike and make the show worth something! I didn't listen to Don and Mike for over twenty years to listen to some shitty producer- Beth Ann - come in and take over the show. MIKE- GROW SOME BALLS! - I want your insight followed by Buzz, then Rob, then Joe, then Charlie(yes Charlie) before I care what the frick Beth Ann McBride thinks. Mike - you have been in this business over twenty years - f'ing trust your gut and roll from it! Buzz and Rob - f'ing step it up and start producing or get out of there and work at IHOP. I am SOOOOOO disappointed at Mike. Step it up and be a man and produce a good show!.

Date: June 07, 2008 07:14PM

jason Wrote:

>
> Any why does EVERY JFK program now have some
> trivia game component to it. If we wanted that,
> we can burn CDs of Jeapordy or Who Wants to be a
> Millionaire. The entire lineup is starting to
> sound like the same show with different hosts.

It's called laziness. The talent is lazy and the sales department is lazy. I guarantee you the WJFK is getting those prizes as a trade for commercials. They can book them as revenue, but that crap doesn't help make payroll.

Posted by: Raskolnikov ()
Date: June 07, 2008 08:10PM

Actually, the MOM show is a goddamn improvement over the last days of the D&M show.

I hear a lot of sour grapes here.

Get over it. Psycho Geronimo is gone. And so is his incessant whining and bitching about his health, life and lost youth.

Date: June 07, 2008 08:32PM

Raskolnikov Wrote:
>
>
> Get over it. Psycho Geronimo is gone. And so is
> his incessant whining and bitching about his
> health, life and lost youth.

That's because Don was about reality and everything Mike talks about is a false veneer. Mike is a miserable booze hound who can't keep a marriage together and whose career is faltering late in life. His bar tanked and his personal financial situation is a mess. If he talked about those things, he would actually have an entertaining and intriguing show. Instead he has Tony Perkins on and interviews authors no one has heard of about global warming. It is a sad charade that will lead to Mike's forced retirement.

Pages: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 920

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.