HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
IRAQ... 5 years later
Posted by: whatamess ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:14PM

Baghdad fell 3 days after the invasion. Since then, we've been an occupation force with no end in site.
Attachments:
vstory_bush_banner_afp.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IRAQ... 5 years later
Posted by: coffin ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:47PM

And it's only costing our bankrupt country $3000 A SECOND!

What I wanna know is where's the fucking oil? We invaded an oil-rich nation at the cost of trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of troops killed or maimed, and we're still getting gouged by OPEC.

Supertankers should be lined up waiting to bring us some CHEAP oil!

Posted by: Huh ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:49PM

coffin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And it's only costing our bankrupt country $3000 A
> SECOND!
>
> What I wanna know is where's the fucking oil? We
> invaded an oil-rich nation at the cost of
> trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of
> troops killed or maimed, and we're still getting
> gouged by OPEC.
>
> Supertankers should be lined up waiting to bring
> us some CHEAP oil!

Huh? How exactly would cheap oil help Bush/Cheney family?

Posted by: Gerhart Wenke ()
Date: March 19, 2008 07:19PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/14/AR2008031403677.html

Please give reading a chance. Stop watching TV.

Huh Wrote:
> coffin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And it's only costing our bankrupt country $3000
> A
> > SECOND!
> >
> > What I wanna know is where's the fucking oil?
> We
> > invaded an oil-rich nation at the cost of
> > trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of
> > troops killed or maimed, and we're still
> getting
> > gouged by OPEC.
> >
> > Supertankers should be lined up waiting to
> bring
> > us some CHEAP oil!
>
>
> Huh? How exactly would cheap oil help Bush/Cheney
> family?

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 19, 2008 09:06PM

OMG, FFXU is full ofdumbasses...

Posted by: Steve Carrell ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:07PM

no, mainly just grunt.
in textbooks, they'll call this period (2003-present, or whenever it ends/if it ends) the "Epic Fail" period.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:03AM

John McCain - U.S. will stay in Iraq 100 years (at $12 billion a month). Besides, Al Qaida (which are Sunni Arabs who hate Persian Shi'ites) are being trained by Iran (which are Persian Shi'ites).

Hillary Clinton - I will say whatever I have to say to be President. The American people have no idea at all what I will actually do as President because I don't stand for anything. Vote for me if you like a crap-shoot.

Barack Obama - I will pull the troops out of Iraq. If the Sunnis and Shi'ites kill each other, so be it. The U.S. has done everything it has been asked to do. It's up the the Iraqis now. We can no longer borrow from China to finance an endless war in Iraq. Oh, and I know the difference between Shi'ites and Sunnis. Also, I will get Osama bin Laden and have no problem going into Pakistan - where he has been hiding for seven years - to do it.

Who will YOU vote for?

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:59AM

If you want to learn more than you ever wanted to know about the IRAQ war in an unbiased truth documentary with interviews of people who were in the room when crucial decisions were made, tune into Frontline on your local PBS affiliate on Monday and Tuesday night.

press release

ON FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF IRAQ INVASION FRONTLINE PRESENTS DEFINITIVE CHRONICLE OF BUSH'S WAR ON TERROR

FRONTLINE presents
BUSH'S WAR
March 24 & 25, 2008, at 9 P.M. ET on PBS

From the horror of 9/11 to the invasion of Iraq; the truth about WMD to the rise of an insurgency; the scandal of Abu Ghraib to the strategy of the surge -- for six years, FRONTLINE has revealed the defining stories of the war on terror in meticulous detail, and the political dramas that played out at the highest levels of power and influence.

Now, on the fifth anniversary of the Iraq invasion, the full saga unfolds in the two-part FRONTLINE special Bush's War, airing Monday, March 24, 2008, from 9 to 11:30 P.M. and Tuesday, March 25, from 9 to 11 P.M. ET on PBS (check local listings). Veteran FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk (The Lost Year in Iraq, The Dark Side) draws on one of the richest archives in broadcast journalism -- more than 40 FRONTLINE reports on the war on terror. Combined with fresh reporting and new interviews, Bush's War will be the definitive documentary analysis of one of the most challenging periods in the nation's history.

"Parts of this history have been told before," Kirk says. "But no one has laid out the entire narrative to reveal in one epic story the scope and detail of how this war began and how it has been fought, both on the ground and deep inside the government."

Since the war on terror began, FRONTLINE's award-winning reporting has gone behind the headlines to connect the dots and reveal the true story of an administration at war with itself over how to respond to the devastating 9/11 attacks.

In the fall of 2001, even as America was waging a war in Afghanistan, another hidden war was being waged inside the administration. Part 1 of Bush's War, airing Monday, March 24, from 9 to 11:30 P.M. ET, tells the story of this behind-the-scenes battle over whether Iraq would be the next target in the war on terror.

On one side, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet squared off against Vice President Dick Cheney and his longtime ally, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. The battles were over policy -- whether to attack Iraq; the role of Iraqi exile Ahmad Chalabi; how to treat detainees; whether to seek United Nations resolutions; and the value of intelligence suggesting a connection between Saddam Hussein and the 9/11 attacks -- but the conflict was deeply personal.

"Friendships were dashed," Powell's deputy Richard Armitage tells FRONTLINE. As the war within the administration heated up, Armitage and Powell concluded that they were being shut out of key decisions by Cheney and Rumsfeld. "The battle of ideas, you generally come up with the best solution. When somebody hijacks the system, then, just like a hijacked airplane, very often no good comes of it," Armitage adds.

Others inside the administration believe they understand the motivation behind some of the vice president's actions. "I think the vice president felt he kind of looked death in the eye on 9/11," former White House counterterrorism coordinator Richard Clarke says. "Three thousand Americans died. The building that the vice president used to work in blew up, and people died there. This was a cold slap in the face. This is a different world you're living in now. And the enemy's still out there, and the enemy could come after you. That does cause you to think [about] things differently."

More than anything else, the Iraq war will be the lasting legacy of the Bush presidency. Part 2 of Bush's War, airing Tuesday, March 25, from 9 to 11p.m. ET, examines that war -- beginning with the quick American victory in Iraq, the early mistakes that were made, and then recounting the story of how chaos, looting and violence quickly engulfed the country.

As American forces realized they were unprepared for the looting that followed the invasion, plans for a swift withdrawal of troops were put on hold. With only a few weeks' preparation, American administrator L. Paul Bremer was sent to find a political solution to a rapidly deteriorating situation. Bremer's first moves were to disband the Iraqi military and remove members of Saddam Hussein's party from the government. They were decisions that the original head of reconstruction, Gen. Jay Garner (Ret.), begged Bremer to reconsider at the time. Now they are seen by others as one of the first in a series of missteps that would lead Iraq into a full-blown insurgency.

But Bremer has his defenders: "We believed, Bremer believed, and I think the leadership in Washington believed that it was very important to demonstrate to the Iraqi people that whatever else was going to happen, Saddam and his cronies were not coming back," Walter Slocombe, the national security adviser to Bremer, tells FRONTLINE.

Garner was not the only one on the outside. As senior officials complained about inattention at the top, Gen. Tommy Franks and his deputy, Gen. Michael DeLong -- the generals who had planned the war -- found that decisions were being made without them as well.

"All the recommendations that we were making now in the Phase IV part weren't being taken -- weren't being taken by Bremer or Rumsfeld," DeLong tells FRONTLINE. "That's when Franks said, 'I'm done.' They said, 'Well, you'll be chief of staff of the Army.' He said, 'No, I'm done.'"

What followed is well documented: insurgency, sectarian strife, prisoner abuse and growing casualties. But within the administration, a new battle over strategy was being fought -- this one between a new secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, and Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld. The clash between America's top diplomat and its chief defense official would go on for more than two years and be settled only after the Republican loss in the 2006 congressional elections. It was then that the president forced Rumsfeld out, ended his strategy of slow withdrawal and ordered a surge of troops. FRONTLINE goes behind closed doors to tell the most recent chapter in this ongoing story, and asks what Bush will leave for a new U.S. president both in Iraq and in the larger war on terror.

Bush's War is a FRONTLINE co-production with Kirk Documentary Group, Ltd. The writer, producer and director is Michael Kirk. The producer and reporter is Jim Gilmore. FRONTLINE is produced by WGBH Boston and is broadcast nationwide on PBS. Funding for FRONTLINE is provided through the support of PBS viewers. Major funding for FRONTLINE is provided by The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Additional funding is provided by the Park Foundation. FRONTLINE is closed-captioned for deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers and described for people who are blind or visually impaired by the Media Access Group at WGBH. FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation. The executive producer of FRONTLINE is David Fanning.
web site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2008 10:02AM by Radiophile.

Date: March 21, 2008 12:27PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> If you want to learn more than you ever wanted to
> know about the IRAQ war in an unbiased truth
> documentary with interviews of people who were in
> the room when crucial decisions were made, tune
> into Frontline on your local PBS affiliate on
> Monday and Tuesday night.
>
>

This sounds like an update of an earlier Frontline documentary. It was very insightful and depressing. After watching it, it is amazing the U.S. has been successful at all in Iraq given all of the boneheaded decisions that came down the pike. Basically the Coalition Provisional Authority was a bunch of God-squad amateurs from the Young Republicans who lost billions of dollars to shifter and corrupt contractors. All the while Bremer was having to make up things as he went along because Rumsfeld was a micro-managing ass who made his job virtually impossible to the point that Bremer just starting ignoring him. Really a tragedy that the greatest military in the world was misused and abused like this.

Posted by: Feline disrespect from hehind ()
Date: March 21, 2008 06:20PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> John McCain - U.S. will stay in Iraq 100 years (at
> $12 billion a month). Besides, Al Qaida (which are
> Sunni Arabs who hate Persian Shi'ites) are being
> trained by Iran (which are Persian Shi'ites).
>
> Hillary Clinton - I will say whatever I have to
> say to be President. The American people have no
> idea at all what I will actually do as President
> because I don't stand for anything. Vote for me if
> you like a crap-shoot.
>
> Barack Obama - I will pull the troops out of Iraq.
> If the Sunnis and Shi'ites kill each other, so be
> it. The U.S. has done everything it has been asked
> to do. It's up the the Iraqis now. We can no
> longer borrow from China to finance an endless war
> in Iraq. Oh, and I know the difference between
> Shi'ites and Sunnis. Also, I will get Osama bin
> Laden and have no problem going into Pakistan -
> where he has been hiding for seven years - to do
> it.
>
>
> Who will YOU vote for?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce8_1202837295

You have confused Obama with Ron Paul. Obama is still a CFR member. Obama has no real plans to end the Iraq War. His only platform is to criticize the war. Which is a start at least. Ron Paul is the ONLY candidate that has a definitive solution to stop burning billions of $$$ a month on crazy wild goose chase wars against terrorism.

Date: March 21, 2008 06:51PM

Feline disrespect from hehind Wrote:

> You have confused Obama with Ron Paul. Obama is
> still a CFR member. Obama has no real plans to end
> the Iraq War. His only platform is to criticize
> the war. Which is a start at least. Ron Paul is
> the ONLY candidate that has a definitive solution
> to stop burning billions of $$$ a month on crazy
> wild goose chase wars against terrorism.

From Barack Obama's campaign website...

Bringing Our Troops Home

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

Date: March 21, 2008 07:22PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> Radiophile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you want to learn more than you ever wanted
> to
> > know about the IRAQ war in an unbiased truth
> > documentary with interviews of people who were
> in
> > the room when crucial decisions were made, tune
> > into Frontline on your local PBS affiliate on
> > Monday and Tuesday night.
> >
> >
>
> This sounds like an update of an earlier Frontline
> documentary. It was very insightful and
> depressing. After watching it, it is amazing the
> U.S. has been successful at all in Iraq given all
> of the boneheaded decisions that came down the
> pike. Basically the Coalition Provisional
> Authority was a bunch of God-squad amateurs from
> the Young Republicans who lost billions of dollars
> to shifter and corrupt contractors. All the while
> Bremer was having to make up things as he went
> along because Rumsfeld was a micro-managing ass
> who made his job virtually impossible to the point
> that Bremer just starting ignoring him. Really a
> tragedy that the greatest military in the world
> was misused and abused like this.

I saw one episode where they were interviewing a military official about the mass hiring of US citizens in Iraq after the fall of Baghdad. He said the interview questions included

How do you feel about Gay Marriage
Your opinion on abortion
Gun control in America
and your religion...

It was amazing.

One General commented on running into a "kid" in Iraq who looked very young. He asked the boy, out of curiosity, what his job was. The kid replied he was in charge of re-building all the prisons in Iraq. The General said something like "that is a mighty big job" and the kid said, "I got 3 people helping me with it and we are all fraternity brothers so we get along real well".

And someone from the Carlisle group was having lunch with Kissinger when Bremmer was being appointed head of the CPA-Iraq. He asked Kissinger what type of person Bremmer was. Kissinger replied loudly "He is a control freak!".

He thought to himself "I am sitting here with the biggest control freak in the world and he is calling Bremmer a control freak!"

And remember the 747 packed with approximately $1 billion in cash, shrink wrapped on pallets. The money is still missing.

Amazing stuff.

Please watch the documentary. It will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly and most importantly - the truth.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 23, 2008 06:35AM

It was actually 9 billion out of 12 billion sent that has gone unaccounted.

Date: March 23, 2008 10:01AM

inkahootz Wrote:
> It was actually 9 billion out of 12 billion sent
> that has gone unaccounted.

You are correct.

I am just talking about the 747 filled with cash that was unaccounted for...One plane of many...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.