HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA PETA Killed 2050 Animals in 2011
Posted by: SaveAnimals ()
Date: February 28, 2012 12:52PM

http://www.wric.com/story/17024982/report-peta-killed-96-of-its-animals-in-2011

NORFOLK - In 2011, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals killed 96 percent of the animals in its care, according to documents from the Virginia Department of Agriculture.

Of the 2,050 animals PETA took in last year, 1,965 were euthanized, according to the records, which were obtained and published online by the non-profit Center for Consumer Freedom. Only 28 pets were adopted out, and 34 were transferred to other animal groups, the documents revealed.

Since 1998, PETA put down more than 27,000 animals at its Norfolk headquarters, the records showed. The majority of the pets euthanized over the years were cats and dogs surrendered by their owners.

A PETA spokesperson said the organization would rather give animals "a painless death" than risk putting them in a situation where they would be abused, neglected, or sold for research, in an interview last year with Newsweek.

Another representative said most animals taken in by PETA are "somehow unadoptable," according to a report by The Daily Caller.

The Center for Consumer Freedom posted the documents from the Department of Agriculture on its website, PETAKillsAnimals.com.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA PETA Killed 2050 Animals in 2011
Posted by: Shitty Post. ()
Date: February 28, 2012 04:44PM

the Center for Consumer Freedom is a lobbyist group that is openly against ethical treatment for animals, especially farm animals. Anything published by them has the direct intention of discounting animal rights groups, and it cannot be used as a credible source.

PETA is not an animal shelter. Thousands of animals are euthanized daily across the US because there is simply not enough space, time, money, to care for them all.

I have been an animal rights advocate my entire life, I do not support PETA because I don't agree with their extremism, they give all animal rights advocates a bad name. Thanks to them, whenever people find out I'm a vegetarian, their response is usually "lolol PETA bacon is good." I donate my time and money to other animal organizations.

tl;dr: You cannot use this article as a credible means of discrediting PETA.

Re: VA PETA Killed 2050 Animals in 2011
Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:39PM

For all we know those animals were sick or, for some other reason, not good candidates for adoption. Why throw good money after bad by feeding and housing animals that can't be adopted out?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.