HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
transmission control unit
Posted by: befuddled ()
Date: October 04, 2011 05:12AM

my nearly 90,000 mile pontiac has very hard shifts from 1st to 2nd is a transmission contol unit a lot less in cost to replace than the entire transmission? when they do a auto trans replacement is the transmission control unit part of the cost ? so if I replace the tcu and that doesn't solve the hard shifts will that lessen my cost if I decide to replace the entire auto tran?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: transmission control unit
Posted by: head scratcher ()
Date: October 04, 2011 08:34AM

Why would you think an electronic part of your transmission has gone partially bad?

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: October 04, 2011 08:45AM

check your zorring rod....out of alignment

Date: October 04, 2011 09:39AM

Not a mechanic but don't the TCU recieves info from the engine on speed and controls the changes in gear. I'm just hoping the hard shifts I'm getting are electronic/computer in nature and not replacing a transmission

i'd think the folks at the transmission shop would be more inclined to tell me i need a new trans at $3500 versus a new TCU module at $850+

Posted by: head scratcher ()
Date: October 04, 2011 10:23AM

befuddled Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'd think the folks at the transmission shop would
> be more inclined to tell me i need a new trans at
> $3500 versus a new TCU module at $850+

Either that or they'll just flush your transmission and change the fluid - not bad bucks for the time spent.

Here's what google says:

http://www.google.com/search?q=automatic+hard+shift+1st+to+2nd

Posted by: Hank Moody ()
Date: October 04, 2011 10:57AM

First, mechanics love to replace parts rather than following documented diagnostic procedures. However sometimes, though quite rarely, swapping a component is a valid part of the diagnostic process.

Second, if you're going to authorize replacement of parts, replace the TCU/TCM with a USED salvage part. The same goes for the transmission. Used parts almost always have some sort of warranty.

Third, in general, moving parts break before solid state electronics.

In my opinion they are preparing you for an ass fucking. If I were you, I'd start looking at eBay and see what the going rate is for a used TCU and transmission. I bet you can pick up both for less than $500 shipped.

Also, as has been pointed out, a simple flush of the hydraulic system may take care of the problem.

Posted by: HyperTech ()
Date: October 04, 2011 05:10PM

Plenty of threads on here about good shops to use...get a second opinion...There was one recently on a transmission place called Hi-Tech in the Merrifield area

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: October 04, 2011 05:28PM

Make sure you change the fluid in your headlights and check the plexi-modulator too.

Posted by: Hank Moody ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:39PM

Don't forget that a flux capacitor alignment will often cure the issue.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: October 04, 2011 06:51PM

Transmission control to Major Tom..Check your muffler bearings and put your helmet on.

Posted by: PONTIAC ()
Date: October 04, 2011 08:06PM

Pontiac stands for ...

Poor
Old
Nigger
Thinks
It's
A
Cadillac

Date: October 06, 2011 03:48AM

Hyper Tech said,"Plenty of threads on here about good shops to use...get a second opinion...There was one recently on a transmission place called Hi-Tech in the Merrifield area"

I had a Chrysler about 10 years ago(loved the ride but Chrysler transmissions were the shit) and went to County Transmissions in Vienna and very pleased with the work.
But would rather go less expensive before spending big bucks on new transmission so was thinking try GM dealership on a TCU first. GM Service bulletin out

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.