HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Audio Tapes recorded after Kennedy assassinated Just released Sept.14 2011
Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 14, 2011 12:40PM

Jackie Kennedy reveals how JFK was scathing about Vice-President Lyndon Johnson and some world leaders.

She says civil rights leader Martin Luther King is "a terrible man".

She recalls, too, how her husband joked about the threat of assassination.

She recalls her husband's scathing words about his Texan Vice-President Lyndon Johnson, whom he reluctantly made his number two because of the need for a southerner to balance the ticket.

"Jack said it to me sometimes. He said, 'Oh, God, can you ever imagine what would happen to the country if Lyndon were president?"'

Jackie Kennedy also said her husband had been disappointed upon meeting Winston Churchill in the 1950s.

"Jack had always wanted to meet Churchill. Well, the poor man [Churchill] was really quite ga-ga then," she said.

"I felt so sorry for Jack that evening because he was meeting his hero, only he met him too late."

Some officials had sent their wives away, but the first lady resisted.

"If anything happens, we're all going to stay right here with you," she remembers telling her husband.

"Even if there's not room in the bomb shelter in the White House. I just want to be with you, and I want to die with you, and the children do too."

The former first lady said: "And then I remember Jack saying after the Cuban missile crisis, when it all turned [out] so fantastically, he said: 'Well, if anyone's ever going to shoot me, this would be the day they should do it.'"

It is worth pointing out that Jackie was supportive of black enfranchisement and an end to racial apartheid in the South.

Indeed, during an era when politicians often went to address black audiences unaccompanied by their wives, Jackie was more than happy to shake the "Negro" hand. Despite her comments about Dr King, she was a friend of the civil rights movement - sometimes more so than her husband.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14909983

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14913829

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 01:29PM by Firrat.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.