HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: poo poo platter ()
Date: August 30, 2011 04:29PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: August 30, 2011 04:32PM

Inflation. Thats whats wrong with America. Corps make products for pennies overseas then sell them to Americans for 50 dollars. thanks for that corporate Greed!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: jbalo ()
Date: August 30, 2011 04:53PM

poo poo platter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1108/galler
> y.surprising_six_figure_salaries/index.html


do you think you'd be making the same statement if it was you making over $100k?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 30, 2011 08:47PM

Overpaid jobs? Give me a break.

The trucker and the window washer are total hustlers and staying very busy to earn theirs. Most of the others are self-employed entreprenuers who only eat what they kill and have excelled in their little niche markets.

This story should have focused on overpaid government assclowns who are totally dependent on tax dollars and probably contribute very little to society.


The people in this article should be applauded.


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: MongoLloyd ()
Date: August 30, 2011 09:27PM

That is the MOST STUPID and ASININE thing I've seen on this forum! How the fuck do you have prosperity AND slave wages? THAT IS NOT WHAT AMERICA IS (WAS) ALL ABOUT! Competing with sweatshop nations while a tiny clique cashes out the profits? Have you considered that TENS OF TRILLIONS have been stolen for the goddamn banksters in just the past 10 years? Try and compare the miserable pittance of the old welfare state to the naked fucking daylight robbery that George Fucking Bush started and Obama accelerated!

JESUS H CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! Does ANYBODY remember (besides me) the Reagan Revolution and the incredible lies that brainwashed America to commit economic suicide and sacrifice themselves on the altar of Mammon? YES, when I was young and swept up in the union bashing and multi-faceted Darwinist arguments, I voted for Reagan and got my rocks off because it was fashionable to bash the poor and welfare queens. I was smoking that Supply Side dope, snorting that Trickle Down cocaine, and cheered on anything that would help America beat the Commies. I didn't care how many poor families were crushed by the first waves of deindustralization if it meant stopping the Commies. ALL LIES.

"Nobody owes you anything" "Overpaid Jobs, part of whats wrong with america" "Libtards" "get rid of labor unions" Is there anybody old enough to remember when such slogans were coined and released into the popular media like a pathogenic virus? Or where such anti-American insanity came from? I DO. The RAND Corporation is one of many factories of political, economic, and social cancer. America's predatory elite institutions, think tanks, foundations, slick mega-churches, and academic fever swamps develop and spread such attitudes.

Goddamnit, HIGH FUCKING WAGES made what used to be the Great Middle Class! A highly progressive tax code and the Glass-Steagall Act kept the growth of a cancerous super rich in check. We actually had REAL FUCKING JOBS doing real stuff! Agriculture, mining, manufacturing, infrastructure, and services directly related to them. People are either too young or have forgotten what a real full set economy looks like. It was FDR's New Deal that harnessed the power of government to defend hard won economic rights of the masses. The Preamble to the U.S. Constitution came the closest to being realized under the New Deal, especially after WW2 when it had time to sink in.

There was an atmosphere of TRUST before Reagan BECAUSE the government MADE banks behave, large scale services like air travel, phones, electricity, water, etc. came with assurances that it was safe and worth what you paid for it. People had their own doctors and related to them as patients in a way that seems alien now. Drugs actually treated real ailments. We weren't flooded with bullshit lifestyle drugs, dangerous vaccines, high-pressure sales pitches for dangerous drugs, and the drugs USED to be MADE IN USA long ago! All of this was possible when people had HIGH PAYING JOBS and the tax code prevented the cancer of billionaires from developing.

BILLIONAIRES ARE CRIMINAL AND EVIL. Their ill-gotten gain was built on millions of dead people and ruined lives. If you want to go after somebody who is OVERPAID, go after the BILLIONAIRES and their millionaire gofers who are even more ambitious and evil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 30, 2011 09:33PM

Why don't you click the link and read the article?


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: MongoLloyd ()
Date: August 30, 2011 10:01PM

Yep, I went back and read the article. GOOD FOR HIM! America has fallen SO FAR into national destitution from its peak in 1967 that we can't grasp how a truck driver can, or should, pull down that kind of bread. The main reason is that his job is a direct service to a manufacturer. The Old Industrial Economy... what's left of it! $100K, adjusted for inflation and rapidly devaluing currency, is really just middle-middle class..., what's left of it. Back in 1967, long haul drivers like this guy were middle-middle class. Yes, we have fallen THAT FAR.

Just wait until the supply of Mexican truckers infects America's trucking labor market. Yeah, he'll lose his $100K gig and learn how to be an anxious serf, just like the rest of America.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: August 30, 2011 10:02PM

What's wrong with America is we don't make anything anymore. You can only run your economy for so long by pushing paper and selling each other breakfast.

Free trade is total BS, ane the cause of our problems. If labor isn't free to move across borders, trade can never be free. Production will always gravitate towards nations that block emigration of their people and force them to work for low wages.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Les ()
Date: August 30, 2011 10:09PM

My guess is that the 160K is the gross pay. Since he owns his own truck, he has to pay considerable portion of his pay for expenses related to his truck, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: August 30, 2011 10:40PM

MongoLloyd for president!

How is it so many people in this country are in denial?

There's a revolution coming, a small group of people cannot keep down the majority no matter how well they manipulate the system,,,

Pitchforks and torches, heads on stakes,,,,coming soon

People living inside the beltway can watch it on TV,,,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:14AM

The unions are one of the problems in this country they drive up the cost of labor. If a company wants to move to a non-union state the union would rather see the jobs go overseas( ask boeing). Another problem is the cost of living is to high so nobody wants to work at an entry level position the can make more money on welfare.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 10:14AM by sumguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:25AM

WingNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't you click the link and read the article?

He can't read. Now pay him his money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Tell that to the professional athletes. ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:29AM

They are what I would refer to as overpaid. Not the laborer with a mortgage and family to feed. But then they all use the same argument, they make big money for a short while, Bullshit, that's all you need if you invest it right and don't squander it on a crazy lifestyle. When they do retire, they fall into a cozy "no heavy lifting job'' through the contacts they made as pros or if they have additional talents they become sport commentators.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:53AM

Tell that to the professional athletes. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are what I would refer to as overpaid. Not
> the laborer with a mortgage and family to feed.
> But then they all use the same argument, they make
> big money for a short while, Bullshit, that's all
> you need if you invest it right and don't squander
> it on a crazy lifestyle. When they do retire,
> they fall into a cozy "no heavy lifting job''
> through the contacts they made as pros or if they
> have additional talents they become sport
> commentators.

Here is an eaxample for you: There are less than two thousand players in the NFL. Becoming one of them is not easy. However, just about anyone can become a "laborer with a mortgage" - it's called capitalism. Look it up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Keynes ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:01AM

ferfux Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Inflation. Thats whats wrong with America. Corps
> make products for pennies overseas then sell them
> to Americans for 50 dollars. thanks for that
> corporate Greed!


That is not an example of any form of inflation. Pricing in a competitive market is nothing more then the laws of supply and demand, not inflation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:02AM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell that to the professional athletes. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They are what I would refer to as overpaid.
> Not
> > the laborer with a mortgage and family to feed.
>
> > But then they all use the same argument, they
> make
> > big money for a short while, Bullshit, that's
> all
> > you need if you invest it right and don't
> squander
> > it on a crazy lifestyle. When they do retire,
> > they fall into a cozy "no heavy lifting job''
> > through the contacts they made as pros or if
> they
> > have additional talents they become sport
> > commentators.
>
> Here is an eaxample for you: There are less than
> two thousand players in the NFL. Becoming one of
> them is not easy. However, just about anyone can
> become a "laborer with a mortgage" - it's called
> capitalism. Look it up.


+1

NFL players on the surface are overpaid, but when you look at how difficult it is to rise to that elite performance status and look at the kind of damage they put their bodies through for our entertainment, most of them deserve every penny of it.

I always love to hear some teacher or do-nothing bureaucrat geek lamenting some boxer getting a million + payday for a round or two in the ring.

When your job is exciting enough that the public wants to pay to see you do it, give us a call.


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: wingnut=idiot savant ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:10AM

WingNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Complete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tell that to the professional athletes. Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > They are what I would refer to as overpaid.
> > Not
> > > the laborer with a mortgage and family to
> feed.
> >
> > > But then they all use the same argument, they
> > make
> > > big money for a short while, Bullshit, that's
> > all
> > > you need if you invest it right and don't
> > squander
> > > it on a crazy lifestyle. When they do
> retire,
> > > they fall into a cozy "no heavy lifting job''
> > > through the contacts they made as pros or if
> > they
> > > have additional talents they become sport
> > > commentators.
> >
> > Here is an eaxample for you: There are less
> than
> > two thousand players in the NFL. Becoming one
> of
> > them is not easy. However, just about anyone
> can
> > become a "laborer with a mortgage" - it's
> called
> > capitalism. Look it up.
>
>
> +1
>
> NFL players on the surface are overpaid, but when
> you look at how difficult it is to rise to that
> elite performance status and look at the kind of
> damage they put their bodies through for our
> entertainment, most of them deserve every penny of
> it.
>
> I always love to hear some teacher or do-nothing
> bureaucrat geek lamenting some boxer getting a
> million + payday for a round or two in the ring.
>
> When your job is exciting enough that the public
> wants to pay to see you do it, give us a call.


Surf Nazis Must Die

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Date: August 31, 2011 11:10AM

These people make what they make because the "free market" dictates it. There's nothing wrong with being a "life coach" if some idiot is willing to pay you for that service, as stupid as it may be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Hoffa ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:10AM

sumguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The unions are one of the problems in this country
> they drive up the cost of labor. If a company
> wants to move to a non-union state the union would
> rather see the jobs go overseas( ask boeing).
> Another problem is the cost of living is to high
> so nobody wants to work at an entry level position
> the can make more money on welfare.


Fuck you. The easy answer is to blame unions. Germany's industrial base is doing quite well with unions. Why is it so many idiots think that workers have no rights to organize, that the only people holding all the cards are management?

The Boeing example is a good one. In that case management made it clear that they were going to move jobs to North Carolina as retribution to their unuionized workforce, the very people who made Boeing great in the first place. Retribution by management against union workers is illegal, as it should be.

Moving jobs from WA to NC does not solve a national jobs problem. Moving jobs from one state to another state is not creating jobs, it's stealing jobs.

As far as Boeing moving jobs overseas. As any supposed "job creator" they will look for the first excuse to do that anyway. If management couldnt effectively negotiate with it's workers with all the advantages management has today ina global economy then I say Boeing probalay wants to outsource those jobs anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: August 31, 2011 11:59AM

A worker union is not a bad thing. A workers union that is corrupt and would push a company into bankruptcy before it bends on its demands is wrong. Boeing lost its bid and now the jets will be made outside of the US. That is jobs lost if it had been allowed to move then the jobs would still be in the USA. Maybe if the union bent alittle on boeing demands then they would not have tried to move the plant. Everybody loses. Have you ever worked a construction job in New Jersey. Every construction worker is union you do the job you are paid for not anybody elses job even if it holds work up for days. Its great as a worker you get paid top dollar to stand around. However if you are a builder your cost are going through the roof. You end up paying 3x the regular hourly rate on wasted time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: September 01, 2011 10:28AM

"But then my visa expired and I couldn't get it extended...............It doesn't matter if you have visa, as long as you have a Social Security number and pay taxes."

#6 window washer(s)
Isn't that what we citizens refer to as an illegal alien?
just sayin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 01, 2011 10:33AM

Boeing is moving the manufacturing overseas to win contracts from government-backed airlines in Asia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: MongoLloyd ()
Date: September 01, 2011 01:02PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WingNut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why don't you click the link and read the
> article?
>
> He can't read. Now pay him his money.

You can't read either. I *DID* go back and read the article and commented accordingly.

My first apoplectic reaction was based on hearing the same anti-American rhetoric that presumes Americans make too much money. That crap was started over 40 years ago to prepare the idiot sheep for deindustrialization!

It amazes me that, after all these decades, and incalculable destruction of wealth, that the Republican lumpenproletariat STILL regurgitates the same Darwinist propaganda that destroyed us in the first place. I guess the Fox News idiots have a point but for the wrong reason. The corral was opened, the horses escaped, and now it is pointless to argue about the hay left for the horses that aren't there anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: sdfsdfsdf ()
Date: September 01, 2011 02:59PM

WingNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Overpaid jobs? Give me a break.
>
> The trucker and the window washer are total
> hustlers and staying very busy to earn theirs.
> Most of the others are self-employed entreprenuers
> who only eat what they kill and have excelled in
> their little niche markets.
>
> This story should have focused on overpaid
> government assclowns who are totally dependent on
> tax dollars and probably contribute very little to
> society.
>
>
> The people in this article should be applauded.


Please provide one example of what you have done to contribute to society?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: i can't figure ()
Date: September 01, 2011 03:09PM

WingNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Complete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tell that to the professional athletes. Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > They are what I would refer to as overpaid.
> > Not
> > > the laborer with a mortgage and family to
> feed.
> >
> > > But then they all use the same argument, they
> > make
> > > big money for a short while, Bullshit, that's
> > all
> > > you need if you invest it right and don't
> > squander
> > > it on a crazy lifestyle. When they do
> retire,
> > > they fall into a cozy "no heavy lifting job''
> > > through the contacts they made as pros or if
> > they
> > > have additional talents they become sport
> > > commentators.
> >
> > Here is an eaxample for you: There are less
> than
> > two thousand players in the NFL. Becoming one
> of
> > them is not easy. However, just about anyone
> can
> > become a "laborer with a mortgage" - it's
> called
> > capitalism. Look it up.
>
>
> +1
>
> NFL players on the surface are overpaid, but when
> you look at how difficult it is to rise to that
> elite performance status and look at the kind of
> damage they put their bodies through for our
> entertainment, most of them deserve every penny of
> it.
>
> Your right, it is hard with the odds against you. Not to change the subject, but I can't figure why a guy like Pat Tillman would give that up and enlist, unless it came very easy for him, a silver platter life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: September 01, 2011 03:11PM

sdfsdfsdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WingNut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Overpaid jobs? Give me a break.
> >
> > The trucker and the window washer are total
> > hustlers and staying very busy to earn theirs.
> > Most of the others are self-employed
> entreprenuers
> > who only eat what they kill and have excelled
> in
> > their little niche markets.
> >
> > This story should have focused on overpaid
> > government assclowns who are totally dependent
> on
> > tax dollars and probably contribute very little
> to
> > society.
> >
> >
> > The people in this article should be applauded.
>
>
> Please provide one example of what you have done
> to contribute to society?


Aw baby, didn't mean to hurt you with poke at overpaid government geeks and teachers. We all do what we can do, right?


idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam



Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: September 01, 2011 08:55PM

Its not like we're talking about over paid bureaucrats or fed contractors. Like my ex-g/f who left the Air Force as an E5, with an admin back ground and TS clearance. She was picked up by job a fed contractor earning 65k to freaking shred documents because of her clearance.

Good for her but i always felt like she was over paid.

The people in the article earn free market wage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Date: September 02, 2011 10:33AM

After reading this article, I'm working on my "Life Coach" degree....

th_8chris-farley.gif


...The University of Northern Virginia still offers one, doesn't it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 02, 2011 11:41AM

Now this is truly overpaid and a scam at that.

Villanova last worked for the city in 1989 as an electrical mechanic with the Department of Streets and Sanitation, making about $40,000 a year. Yet in 2008 he was allowed to retire at age 56 with a $108,000 city pension. That's because, under a little-known state law, his pension was based not on his city paycheck but on his much higher union salary.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-met-pensions-villanova-20110902,0,1997273.story

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: September 02, 2011 12:38PM

Thanks Les for pointing out some of that unheard of union corruption.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: erik ()
Date: September 02, 2011 08:14PM

MongoLloyd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the MOST STUPID and ASININE thing I've
> seen on this forum! How the fuck do you have
> prosperity AND slave wages? THAT IS NOT WHAT
> AMERICA IS (WAS) ALL ABOUT! Competing with
> sweatshop nations while a tiny clique cashes out
> the profits? Have you considered that TENS OF
> TRILLIONS have been stolen for the goddamn
> banksters in just the past 10 years? Try and
> compare the miserable pittance of the old welfare
> state to the naked fucking daylight robbery that
> George Fucking Bush started and Obama
> accelerated!
>
> JESUS H CHRIST ON A POGO STICK! Does ANYBODY
> remember (besides me) the Reagan Revolution and
> the incredible lies that brainwashed America to
> commit economic suicide and sacrifice themselves
> on the altar of Mammon? YES, when I was young and
> swept up in the union bashing and multi-faceted
> Darwinist arguments, I voted for Reagan and got my
> rocks off because it was fashionable to bash the
> poor and welfare queens. I was smoking that
> Supply Side dope, snorting that Trickle Down
> cocaine, and cheered on anything that would help
> America beat the Commies. I didn't care how many
> poor families were crushed by the first waves of
> deindustralization if it meant stopping the
> Commies. ALL LIES.
>
> "Nobody owes you anything" "Overpaid Jobs, part of
> whats wrong with america" "Libtards" "get rid of
> labor unions" Is there anybody old enough to
> remember when such slogans were coined and
> released into the popular media like a pathogenic
> virus? Or where such anti-American insanity came
> from? I DO. The RAND Corporation is one of many
> factories of political, economic, and social
> cancer. America's predatory elite institutions,
> think tanks, foundations, slick mega-churches, and
> academic fever swamps develop and spread such
> attitudes.
>
> Goddamnit, HIGH FUCKING WAGES made what used to be
> the Great Middle Class! A highly progressive tax
> code and the Glass-Steagall Act kept the growth of
> a cancerous super rich in check. We actually had
> REAL FUCKING JOBS doing real stuff! Agriculture,
> mining, manufacturing, infrastructure, and
> services directly related to them. People are
> either too young or have forgotten what a real
> full set economy looks like. It was FDR's New
> Deal that harnessed the power of government to
> defend hard won economic rights of the masses.
> The Preamble to the U.S. Constitution came the
> closest to being realized under the New Deal,
> especially after WW2 when it had time to sink in.
>
>
> There was an atmosphere of TRUST before Reagan
> BECAUSE the government MADE banks behave, large
> scale services like air travel, phones,
> electricity, water, etc. came with assurances that
> it was safe and worth what you paid for it.
> People had their own doctors and related to them
> as patients in a way that seems alien now. Drugs
> actually treated real ailments. We weren't
> flooded with bullshit lifestyle drugs, dangerous
> vaccines, high-pressure sales pitches for
> dangerous drugs, and the drugs USED to be MADE IN
> USA long ago! All of this was possible when
> people had HIGH PAYING JOBS and the tax code
> prevented the cancer of billionaires from
> developing.
>
> BILLIONAIRES ARE CRIMINAL AND EVIL. Their
> ill-gotten gain was built on millions of dead
> people and ruined lives. If you want to go after
> somebody who is OVERPAID, go after the
> BILLIONAIRES and their millionaire gofers who are
> even more ambitious and evil.


+1,000,000,000

Options: ReplyQuote
Corporate capture in most every guvvie agency
Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 04, 2011 11:18AM

In large numbers, and with few rules, retiring GENERALS are taking lucrative defense-firm jobs
By Bryan Bender
Globe Staff / December 26, 2010

The Globe analyzed the career paths of 750 of the highest ranking GENERALS and admirals who retired during the last two decades and found that, for most, moving into what many in Washington call the “rent-a-general’’ business is all but irresistible.

From 2004 through 2008, 80 percent of retiring three- and four-star officers went to work as consultants or defense executives, according to the Globe analysis. That compares with less than 50 percent who followed that path a decade earlier, from 1994 to 1998.

In some years, the move from general staff to industry is a virtual clean sweep. Thirty-four out of 39 three- and four-star GENERALS and admirals who retired in 2007 are now working in defense roles — nearly 90 percent.

And in many cases there is nothing subtle about what the GENERALS have to sell — Martin’s firm is called The Four Star Group, for example. The revolving-door culture of Capitol Hill — where former lawmakers and staffers commonly market their insider knowledge to lobbying firms — is now pervasive at the senior rungs of the military leadership.

Among the Globe findings:

¦ Dozens of retired GENERALS employed by defense firms maintain Pentagon advisory roles, giving them unparalleled levels of influence and access to inside information on Department of Defense procurement plans.

¦ The GENERALS are, in many cases, recruited for private sector roles well before they retire, raising questions about their independence and judgment while still in uniform. The Pentagon is aware and even supports this practice.

¦ The feeder system from some commands to certain defense firms is so powerful that successive generations of commanders have been hired by the same firms or into the same field. For example, the last seven GENERALS and admirals who worked as Department of Defense gatekeepers for international arms sales are now helping military contractors sell weapons and defense technology overseas.

¦ When a general-turned-businessman arrives at the Pentagon, he is often treated with extraordinary deference — as if still in uniform — which can greatly increase his effectiveness as a rainmaker for industry. The military even has name for it — the “bobblehead effect.’’

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2010/12/26/defense_firms_lure_retired_generals/?page=full

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: hugh jass ()
Date: September 04, 2011 11:40AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After reading this article, I'm working on my
> "Life Coach" degree....
>
>
>
>
> ...The University of Northern Virginia still
> offers one, doesn't it?


How do they figure 100 to 150k is overpaid???
The guy who works on my plumbing and a/c makes more than that and he works a 4 day workweek.
Maybe in some parts of the country 100k is good money but not in this area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Atom ()
Date: September 04, 2011 04:39PM

We need to create an AIDS like disease that only effects lawyers and lobbyists and spreads through corruption and bullshit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overpaid Jobs, Part of whats wrong with america
Posted by: Les ()
Date: September 04, 2011 05:35PM

why stop at lawyers? why not judges and jurors?

why stop at lobbyists? why not regulators? why not executives, strategists, analysts, and many more?

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **         **    **  ********   ******   ******** 
 **    **   ***   **  **        **    **     **    
 **    **   ****  **  **        **           **    
 **    **   ** ** **  ******    **           **    
 *********  **  ****  **        **           **    
       **   **   ***  **        **    **     **    
       **   **    **  ********   ******      **    
This forum powered by Phorum.