HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The bizarre case of the pizza bomber - Brian Wells
Posted by: Unsolved Mystery - Brian Wells Case ()
Date: August 13, 2011 08:31PM

This case on on CNN tonight and this was the first I had ever heard of it. What do you think? Was Brian Wells in on the plot to rob the bank or was he an innocent victim?

The bizarre case of the pizza bomber - Brian Wells
http://topics.cnn.com/topics/brian_wells

Deadly, bizarre bank robbery
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/08/us/interactive.collar.bomb/index.html

On August 28, 2003, pizza delivery man Brian Wells robbed an Erie, Pennsylvania, bank with a homemade bomb locked around his neck. Police arrested Wells shortly afterward. While awaiting bomb squad technicians, the device exploded, killing Wells. The case stands as one of the most bizarre crimes of the past decade.

According to FBI court documents, the homemade bomb locked to Wells consisted of two steel pipes, low explosive filler and an electric fusing system. The bomb contained store-bought Sunbeam kitchen timers. The device was rigged to explode if it was tampered with. It was attached to a metallic collar with a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism included keyed brass locks, gears and a spinning numeric combination lock.

New details revealed in 'pizza collar bomb' heist
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/05/pizza.bomb/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The bizarre case of the pizza bomber - Brian Wells
Posted by: BigK12 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 09:19PM

I pulled this up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Douglas_Wells). Now I see why the FBI think this loser was directly involved.
Attachments:
Brian_Wells.jpg

Date: August 13, 2011 09:23PM

It would take a certain kind of genius to come up with a working bomb collar that you would put on yourself to rob a bank. A stupid kind of genius.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 17, 2011 09:45AM

I was following this case for a while and my uneducated conclusion was that Brian Wells had some knowledge of the initial plan, but may have resisted and been forced to carry it out after trying to bail. The reason I think so is because of the minor gunshot wound he had and the signs that he was in a scuffle earlier that day.One of the defendants who plead guilty collaborated this theory during court.

The problem with cases like this for observers looking for the answers and truth is that there is no real resolution at the end of the day. The parties that were granted immunity for their testimony may not have given the whole truth and likely downplayed their own involvement. The woman who was the mastermind is probably trying to appeal and will NEVER confess or come clean. One of the other named conspirators, the guy who had all of the technical expertise, died of cancer before ebing indicted.

I would definitely like to read a book on the case if anyone could make sense of it. Joseph Wambaugh would be the man for the job.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Collar Me Bomb ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:38PM

Wired did a piece on this and the FBI pretty much has it figured out but the mastermind of the crime died from cancer some years ago. It is a fascinating plot though - make a good movie fo sure!

Posted by: Collar Me Bomb ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:39PM

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:49PM

Great link, thanks...

Gonna read that tonight if I have the time.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Call me Bombastic...
Posted by: Shaggy ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:55PM

Somebody recently copied that crime to demand a ransom.

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2011/08/paul_doug_peters_australian_fu.php

Posted by: By the way... ()
Date: August 17, 2011 01:59PM

Do you guys think we should invade Iraq? Bush made compelling arguments about Saddam Hussein's possession of WMDs, but I'm still not sure we should be attacking them.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 18, 2011 09:35AM

There is this new video going around of this fat kid pretending to be a star wars jedi. He set up a camera and video taped himself pretending to fight off invisible dudes. Anyway, some other kids found the video and put it online for all to see! You have to see it, it's sooo funny!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 09:36AM by More Complete.

Date: August 18, 2011 09:39AM

I'm hearing good things about this Howard Dean guy. Seems pretty solid and stable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: jbalo ()
Date: August 18, 2011 10:12AM

memories.
Attachments:
dean scream.jpg

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: August 18, 2011 10:17AM

In all seriousness does anyone else think that new movie "30 Minutes or Less" is really distasteful? I mean, it seems to have the exact same plot, (guy gets strapped with a bomb and has to rob a bank) but it’s a comedy. Yeah, real funny. WTF?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.