HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best video editing software
Posted by: Pbech ()
Date: December 28, 2007 11:16PM

What's up guys... just got a Sony Handycam for Christmas and I'm looking to try my hand at movie making.

From what I've read... Adobe Premiere Elements is pretty sick, but I want some external input.

In your opinion, what is the best video editing software available right now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best video editing software
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 29, 2007 12:33AM

Adobe <Product Name> Elements = a crappy copy of the real version

for software, it really depends on your technical skill and how technical you want to get. btw, if you are going to be doing a lot of editing, you should get a high end computer to handle the amount of processing power required to edit in realtime without horrible lag. if you are running windows vista, save yourself some pain and put a bullet in your head because that will be slow no matter what kind of hardware you put it on. also, if you are doing this on a laptop it will be painful. if you are considering using the built-in hard drive on your laptop for video editing... well, you will be crying very shortly after working on the editing.

things you need:
  • a lot of hard drive space. one minute is about 1 GB because it's decompressed so you can actually edit it.
  • high speed drives, get them if you can. 10,000RPMs is your basic high speed drive that you should use separately, and not put your OS on it because windows access the drive all the time.
  • RAM... lots of RAM. a couple GBs of decent DDR2 RAM will be good.
  • lots of time. it takes about an hour for each minute of video. dont believe me? ask anyone that has done non-linear video editing before.
  • a firewire card/connection. last i checked (which was a while ago), using your computer to control the camera playback and video transfer can only be done via firewire.
Adobe Premiere is an excellent program but it's a professional product and takes a lot of time to learn to use properly.

how do i know all this? i worked as a tech at a "multimedia lab" where the computers were only used for photoshop, premier, illustrator and apple's video editing app.

however, if you are just going to be some dumbass that dances around like an idiot and slaps it up on youtube, chances are your editing requirements will be non-existent.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 12:33AM by Gravis.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 29, 2007 08:58AM

>however, if you are just going to be some dumbass that dances around like an idiot and slaps it up on youtube, chances are your editing requirements will be non-existent.

LOL

Posted by: BelieveInYourself ()
Date: December 29, 2007 12:37PM

There are SO MAANNNNY OPTIONS OUT THERE. WHY DONT YOU RESEARCH, YOU HAVE GOOGLE AND WAREZ. A FUCKIGN WIN WIN COMBINATION, GO FOR IT KID!

Posted by: G-Man ()
Date: December 29, 2007 12:48PM

Adobe Premiere is not a professional product. The "pros" use Avid or Final Cut. Serious finishing can be on lined using boxes that cost more then your house.

My opinion is Adobe premiere is fine for a home/hobby user who wants to make family videos. If you want something thats a step above premiere then look at the low cost Avid DV edit software or perhaps Final Cut. Final cut only works on a MAC but thats a good thing. If you can afford it a mac book pro laptop can to just about anything a desktop can to with no problems. I tend to cut my stuff on the laptop then take it to a desk top with a glass monitor for video attached so I can judge my color correction and such on a TV screen.

You will want Gigs of storage video files are big. 200GB should be no problem for a home or hobby user. DV is compressed at a 5 to 1 ratio and will work out to about 13gigs per hour.

You do want lots of RAM like Gravis said and you will want to keep your video on a drive thats not your system drive. However you can get away with using your system drive but I never do. Get your self a nice 200GB fire wire drive.

As far as time, programs like final cut don't need much rendering anymore.

I highly recommend you take an editing class at a local access station or college. Once you get some hands on experience with what ever software they use then you will know what you like and don't like. Editing is an art so learning what tools you have at your disposal will make you better at editing. Watch other movies or TV shows and think about why they are cutting like they are.

On the low end if you got a PC with fire wire on it just grab what ever you can get your hands of software wise and start playing. You can upgrade you gear as your skills and bank account allow. But take a class or something cause you don't want to pick up bad habits.

I'm a broadcast engineer so thats where my info comes from.

EoM

Date: December 29, 2007 02:42PM

G-Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Final cut only works on a MAC
> but thats a good thing.

are you on crack? Mac hardware is insanely overpriced! now if you just MUST use OSX, use OSX86, hackery to let OSX run on normal PC hardware: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

i mean, come on, look at the prices and specs! : Dell | Apple

i would cut off my hand before forking over money for an apple computer.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 29, 2007 03:51PM

Go to most any graphics or video editing house and you will see Macs. Macs are way better for video. To be fair Avid does sell lots of PC units. Its also a matter of personal preference.

You can get a low end Mac for a decent price. You only need a high end Mac if you want to do some high end video work.

EoM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 03:55PM by G-Man.

Date: December 29, 2007 03:53PM

Oh yeah, that OSx86 Project is cool. Would love to see how Final Cut runs on that.

EoM

Date: December 29, 2007 05:32PM

G-Man Wrote:
> Oh yeah, that OSx86 Project is cool. Would love to
> see how Final Cut runs on that.

so long as you use compatible hardware, it will run just as well as Apple hardware but since PCs have higher speed processors available, you can have a better than Mac computer running OSX. personally, i dont care for OSX and windows is a thorn in everyone's side so i run linux. it's worked out nicely.

Posted by: still703 ()
Date: January 02, 2008 01:07PM

Stay away from Avid! It is a great editing tool only if you attend the instructional seminars on how to operate the software. Avid is not user-friendly. My office switched to Final Cut Pro- amazing and a lot more intuitive.

Posted by: Big Boy ()
Date: January 02, 2008 06:56PM

still703 Wrote:
> Stay away from Avid! It is a great editing tool
> only if you attend the instructional seminars on
> how to operate the software. Avid is not
> user-friendly. My office switched to Final Cut
> Pro- amazing and a lot more intuitive.

I'll agree with that. However Aivd is still the big boy of editing.

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: January 02, 2008 08:58PM

Make sure you have massive computer power behind the editing software. When I edit video it can take literal hours for the full movie(1:20h) to be assembled. That's on a 3Ghz system, great video card and 2 gigs memory.

Posted by: lolz ()
Date: January 03, 2008 08:46AM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> Make sure you have massive computer power behind
> the editing software. When I edit video it can
> take literal hours for the full movie(1:20h) to be
> assembled. That's on a 3Ghz system, great video
> card and 2 gigs memory.

lol, Thats cause you are using a toy editing program.

Posted by: Balance Blind ()
Date: July 13, 2021 04:37AM

Hello Pbech, there are lot's of options online, I guess it depends on you and how fast you learn, but if you need a professional work getting done check https://imagerevolver.com/ they can help you with Cinematography, Live Streaming, Editing, and many other services. I'm into video making too and tought that I could make the company videos, turned out I couldn't haha! But thank's to this guys now we're getting a lot of exposure!

Posted by: Degni ()
Date: October 13, 2021 08:57AM

By the way, where are you going to upload your videos? Or is it something like a home video archive?

Posted by: Milyoki ()
Date: October 13, 2021 09:00AM

I think Adobe After Effects might suits you because my boyfriend always edits videos here. By the way, what are you going to do with your video? Will you publish it somewhere? In any case, I advise you to check out the webrtc Development company , because it is a reliable company that will help facilitate the process of organizing streaming.

Posted by: Dooles ()
Date: October 28, 2021 06:06AM

Guys, who can share a list of software deals websites?

Posted by: Liaryvel ()
Date: October 28, 2021 06:29AM

Dooles Wrote:
> Guys, who can share a list of software deals
> websites?

Sure, there are plenty of such websites. Personally, I can recommend this one https://shareware.deals/. People always look for discount coupons and deals online in order to pay less but make sure you chose reliable source. I usually check reviews on the internet before buying something. It's a good tip that saves time and money.

Posted by: Canned Ham ()
Date: October 28, 2021 06:29AM

Spam links coming 4,3,2

Posted by: Die shitty assed SPAMMERS ()
Date: October 28, 2021 06:31AM

Mother fucking SPAM links already here!

Date: December 29, 2021 06:47AM

The event industry is huge and competition is cutthroat. As a result, event organizers waste hours and thousands of dollars on the wrong event planner. We're here to help! We provide an online marketplace for all types of event planners in Calgary. The market connects event planners with organizers who are looking for service providers.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: November 26, 2022 12:14AM

event planners in Calgary Wrote:
> The event industry is huge and competition is
> cutthroat. As a result, event organizers waste
> hours and thousands of dollars on the wrong event
> planner. We're here to help! We provide an online
> marketplace for all types of
> e
> vent planners in Calgary
. The market
> connects event planners with organizers who are
> looking for service providers.

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.