HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Black Ads That Drive Us Nuts - Popeye's Annie, the Chicken Mammy (The Chicken Lady)
Posted by: Love that chicken from Popeye's ()
Date: August 11, 2011 09:52AM

Black Ads That Drive Us Nuts
The Urban Daily
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=848&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1609l6748l0l9372l31l23l2l1l1l0l234l2687l6.11.3l20l0&safe=active&q=cache:skthQAs2j3cJ:http://theurbandaily.com/gossip-news/the-urban-daily-staff/5-black-ads-that-drive-us-nuts/+who+is+the+lady+in+the+popeyes+chicken+commercials&ct=clnk

After ignoring black consumers for decades, companies have realized that urban marketing is smart business. But while we love seeing black folks in media, it defeats the purpose if they die during the opening credits, are complete buffoons or otherwise reinforce negative African American stereotypes.

As a group, blacks possess about $1 trillion in buying power, and we’re inclined to spend our hard-earned money with companies that treat our community with respect. A lot of companies get it; for too many others, though, it still hasn’t seeped in. Take Toyota’s infamous “gold tooth” ad as proof that there are still way too many television commercials featuring African Africans that reflect the worst about black culture. Here are a few that really rub us the wrong way.

Annie, the Chicken Mammy

We could chuckle at Paula Jai Parker and Dave Chappelle’s ‘Chicken Ho’ in the birdbrained ‘Woo’ because of the unlikelihood that any white person on the planet would ever see that film. But the Popeye’s Chicken ad campaign featuring a new-growth-scratching sassy black woman who introduces herself as Annie “the Chicken Queen” is but a biscuit and strawberry soda away from being a full-on minstrel show.

Popeyes "Annie/Butterfly Shrimp Tackle Box from Carve Editorial on Vimeo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black Ads That Drive Us Nuts - Popeye's Annie, the Chicken Mammy (The Chicken Lady)
Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:54AM

I think Annie, the Chicken Mammy is a total liar. I'll bet she's never set foot in a Popeye's kitchen before!
Attachments:
anniethechickenqueen.jpg

Re: Black Ads That Drive Us Nuts - Popeye's Annie, the Chicken Mammy (The Chicken Lady)
Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: August 11, 2011 11:24AM

As a proud man of color, I find that Popeyes pickaninny very offensive.
Whats next? Kingfish selling bow ties to The Nation of Islam?

Posted by: chuckles ()
Date: October 02, 2011 12:53PM

You don't have anything else better than to critize a chicken commercial, what other black causes have you joined or supported? She has a job, and you need a life.

Posted by: Topsy ()
Date: October 02, 2011 01:34PM

Only uptight oreo-type "African Americans" would be bothered by that inoffensive yet very effective commercial.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: October 02, 2011 02:31PM

The only problem with the article (besides it being filled with questionable cookies) is that those ads aren't for black people.

You think marketing is worried about a lousy $1 trillion? Out of $9.78 trillion?

They were made for the white folk that elected a black president and now need to be told how he and his community live.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: October 02, 2011 05:44PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: October 02, 2011 05:49PM

Has there ever been a commercial showing white people drinking malt liquor?

I love Popeye's,,,

Posted by: Ellipsis ()
Date: October 03, 2011 01:44AM

One more reason not to watch TV.

Posted by: Renee ()
Date: November 04, 2012 09:11AM

Hell I ain't mad at he, she is a black woman gettn PAID

Posted by: brother amos ()
Date: November 04, 2012 09:14AM

ProVallone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a proud man of color, I find that Popeyes
> pickaninny very offensive.
> Whats next? Kingfish selling bow ties to The
> Nation of Islam?
Attachments:
kingfish052.jpg

Posted by: Overheated ()
Date: January 07, 2013 07:14PM

People trying to be smart..... Believing that White or Black people Elected Obama is like Believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny.... Elections are to important to be left in the hands of the taxpayer's, just as Jury Trials are to important to be left in the hand's of The Jury !!!!! Will this Nation ever open its Eyes and see the Truth!!!

Posted by: Glenn Fornerette ()
Date: February 06, 2013 01:21PM

Agreed ProVallone!

Posted by: Britany ()
Date: March 03, 2013 11:02AM

What's an "Oreo-type" black person??? And who cares if a black person is doing the Popeyes commercial, she's getting paid! For those who don't know Al Copeland's is the founder and owner of Popeyes franchise, he's white by the way!

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: March 03, 2013 07:36PM

She be boojy

Posted by: Ahmayzin ()
Date: March 04, 2013 05:28PM

Who remembers the Cajun guy. "Cayenne Peppa!! Onyon!! Pap-RIKA! I guarantee!!!"

I used to love this dude. That was my Ma-Fucka right there!!! LMAO
Attachments:
justin_wilson.jpg

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: March 04, 2013 06:49PM

McDonalds seems to have a lot of these types of ads.

Posted by: Brotherfelder ()
Date: September 14, 2013 05:51PM

Corporate America has been producing stupid, annoying ads for decades. People have done a lot worse in front of millions of viewers than Annie. Many will degrade themselves for money. It's the norm.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: September 14, 2013 06:55PM

And now they have the bee on the honey nut cheerios commerical sing rap. wtf?

A white superhero rapping about brushing your teeth.

And " we buy any car" somebody shoot that guy.

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: Funny_Guy ()
Date: September 15, 2013 10:50AM

chuckles Wrote:
> You don't have anything else better than to
> critize a chicken commercial, what other black
> causes have you joined or supported? She has a
> job, and you need a life.

I'd say fuck you, but then you'd go tell your friends that someone hit on your pimply ass. So instead I'll say drop dead.

Posted by: brotherfelder ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:46PM

I guess somebody hit pretty close to home to get Funny Guy so riled up like that.

Posted by: Of course... ()
Date: October 10, 2013 07:49PM

All McDonald's commercials sound like an episode of Amos and Andy.

Posted by: All That Matters ... ()
Date: October 10, 2013 08:35PM

I used to love when Sambos was open. I wish they'd come back.

Attachments:
sambos.jpg

Posted by: Bj ()
Date: December 07, 2013 11:28AM

To those who are complaining about the "Popeye Commercial", I thought it was great! The actress did an excellent job in that she was vivacious, exuberant, and used very natural expressions. I didn't see her as a "Sambo" type! She was very intelligent and I say again, very good!

I love that commercial, that's the reason I researched it to see who the actress was. Maybe those criticizing liked it too!

Posted by: Uncle Remus ()
Date: December 07, 2013 06:40PM

Bj Wrote:
> The actress
> did an excellent job in that she was vivacious,
> exuberant, and used very natural expressions. I
> didn't see her as a "Sambo" type! She was very
> intelligent and I say again, very good!

She looks like a fucking Aunt Jemima!

Posted by: oil driller ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:55PM

OMG,I would so do Annie!

Posted by: lawdog ()
Date: December 07, 2013 10:04PM

Posted by: farty ()
Date: December 07, 2014 06:48PM

Where is Mommy's polka dot bonnet?

Posted by: Curio(us) ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:12PM

Yes, I ma

it?

file.php?40,file=167051,filename=Lena004
file.php?40,file=167052,filename=Lena005

file.php?40,file=167048,filename=Lena001

file.php?40,file=167049,filename=Lena002

file.php?40,file=167050,filename=Lena003

Posted by: Oh, now I ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:14PM

de, by conservative estimate, over the half the posts in this thread.

But why did you bump

get it

Posted by: Observed. ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:20PM

brotherfelder Wrote:
> I guess somebody hit pretty close to home to get
> Funny Guy so riled up like that.

Oh, shit.

Somebody keeps doing the same thing over and over again.

Too cute for your own good.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2024888170_fbinewspaper1xml.html

Date: December 07, 2014 07:27PM

All That Matters ... Wrote:
> I used to love when Sambos was open. I wish
> they'd come back.
>

Of course you realize Little Black Sambo was an Asian Indian. The author spent many years in India. There are no tigers in Africa.

Posted by: F.B.I. ()
Date: December 07, 2014 08:04PM

Watching this thread now.

Mit cookies, as they say in Germany.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.