HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Older car hit by landlord
Posted by: Dee ()
Date: August 10, 2011 05:06PM

Situation:

My 1997 Toyota Camry was parked and hit in the driveway by my landlord. Front bumper was damaged and left front turning signal light was busted. Her insurance company, State Farm did an estimate and is only willing to pay me $137 to repair the vehicle. They claimed the two small cracks on the right front bumper was priot damage(was pre existing) and hence they were not going to pay for the bumper. I've discussed with my landlord and she is not willing to help pay the difference, which is $333. She claims that she pays her insurance deductible and has no other responsibility. I found a shop that did the work for $470. I was fairly happy living in the basement apt but after this incident it looks like I will be moving in the coming months.

If I withhold money out of my rent she will only deduct the money from my security deposit.

I've called State farm 4 times and they won't budge, is sueing my landlord in small claims court my only remedy? TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Older car hit by landlord
Posted by: Hollywood ()
Date: August 10, 2011 05:13PM

What did your insurance company have to say about the damage?

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: August 10, 2011 05:20PM

For the amount involved I'd say forget it. Principal sounds like a great reason for bringing a lawsuit, but after making a couple of trips to the courthouse and paying filing fees, parking, etc. you'll probably feel differently. Plus you can never list your landlord as a reference on any lease application in the future.

Date: August 10, 2011 05:32PM

My insurance is GEICO, but only covered with liability, no collision coverage so my insurance company is not able to take action against State Farm. Landlord is a bit of a flake, hard to deal with. I tried to reason with her and made a compromise where I would pick up $110, the cost of the bumper,(because now I do have a new bumper) and she would pay the rest. She says to me "I have comphrensive coverage so sue State Farm."

Posted by: Hollywood ()
Date: August 10, 2011 05:34PM

Dee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My insurance is GEICO, but only covered with
> liability, no collision coverage so my insurance
> company is not able to take action against State
> Farm. Landlord is a bit of a flake, hard to deal
> with. I tried to reason with her and made a
> compromise where I would pick up $110, the cost of
> the bumper,(because now I do have a new bumper)
> and she would pay the rest. She says to me "I have
> comphrensive coverage so sue State Farm."

I agree with Bill N about suing. So get another place to live, then steal stuff when you move out. You'll feel alot better. LOL

Posted by: mister tee ()
Date: August 10, 2011 05:58PM

Dee Wrote:
> Situation:
>
> My 1997 Toyota Camry was parked and hit in the
> driveway by my landlord. Front bumper was damaged
> and left front turning signal light was busted.
> Her insurance company, State Farm did an estimate
> and is only willing to pay me $137 to repair the
> vehicle. They claimed the two small cracks on the
> right front bumper was priot damage(was pre
> existing) and hence they were not going to pay for
> the bumper. I've discussed with my landlord and
> she is not willing to help pay the difference,
> which is $333. She claims that she pays her
> insurance deductible and has no other
> responsibility. I found a shop that did the work
> for $470. I was fairly happy living in the
> basement apt but after this incident it looks like
> I will be moving in the coming months.
>
> If I withhold money out of my rent she will only
> deduct the money from my security deposit.
>
> I've called State farm 4 times and they won't
> budge, is sueing my landlord in small claims court
> my only remedy? TIA

Talk to your landlord when there are no witnesses present. Tell her it would be a shame if her car were to get dammaged.
A gallon of milk poured into a gas tank will screw up a cars fuel and emissions system like you would not beleive. No way in hell that bitch should not be held responsible for her actions or lack therof.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: August 10, 2011 06:16PM

@OP - move out NOW, if not sooner

then maybe follow up on Mister Tee's line of thinking LoLz

nah, seriously, State Farm is just trying to screw you over. What may work is to try and get yr landlady to call them up and back up the fact the damamge was not pre-existing. It should be as simple as that for her. If she's such a BEE-YATCH that she wont do that for you, then yeah, you need to move out NOW cause she's not someone you want to live around. Cause normal ppl would simply help you out, y'know?

Posted by: Driveway ()
Date: August 10, 2011 06:21PM

It should have been covered by her homeowners policy I think .?.?.

Date: August 10, 2011 06:48PM

I don't think her homeowner's policy will cover this incident. Her car was moving when she struck my parked car.

Too bad my car was older with some wear on the front bumper. I have already admitted to The two pre-existing small cracks on the right side of the bumper, This is how State farm makes its money by reducing their obligations, is it worth the hassle and aggravation to sue the landlord and State Farm in small claims court??

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 10, 2011 08:11PM

I wouldn't sue her until you leave and have your security deposit back. After that, only go after the landlord. She may pay you that measley amount to make it go away.

By the way, she is a fucking bitch for not making you whole after she caused damage to your property.

Date: August 10, 2011 08:17PM

@OP - driveway has a good point - if the car was on her property, then her homeowners policy might cover it - you should seriously try and work with her to have her check that out.

Justsayin' is also right - if that doesnt work, and she doesnt do the right thing, you dont want do anything 'legal oriented' until you've gotten yr ass out of there.

Posted by: legal?? ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:33PM

If the basement isn't a legal apartment, then after you move report her to the housing authority or the zoning board. They'll investigate and tell her she can't rent the space any longer (and not sure of the laws here but she might have to refund you rent you paid for an illegal apartment).

That'll show her!!

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: August 10, 2011 09:37PM

Are you renting a basement apartment in Oakton, by any chance?

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 10:04PM

Two things come to mind...

a 1997 isn't an "older car" in my book. But I guess if you are younger (like about 20) then the car has been around for over 1/2 your existence. Anyways...

The other thing, is to get your security deposit back, then have fun... Like hide fish heads in the HVAC vents upon leaving kind of fun... Your results may vary - and I am kidding, of course!

Date: August 10, 2011 11:34PM

No, its in Herndon/Reston area. The bedroom has heat but no a/c, (rest of basement apt has both) also the windows are just panes of glass,don't open. So that does sound like a code violation?? probably is.

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: August 11, 2011 02:38AM

Oh good lord, it's a 14-year-old car. Take the $137, spend $25 for a junkyard turning signal, and put the remaining $112 in the bank.

Posted by: BigK12 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 06:43AM

I have one better, get some roaches and put them down in the basement or somewhere dark and damp in the house. They'll breed like crazy, THEN report her to the housing authority about 2 weeks later.

Date: August 11, 2011 07:18AM

@............ doesnt matter how old the ride is - landlady hit it and OP has the right to be made whole from it, plain and simple.

Posted by: DDS ()
Date: August 11, 2011 07:26AM

That is what you get for being a tight ass. Around here you are foolish not getting full coverage insurance. Serves you right.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: August 11, 2011 08:41AM

DDS Wrote:
> That is what you get for being a tight ass. Around
> here you are foolish not getting full coverage
> insurance. Serves you right.

Totally agree!!1!!!1!!! Had she paid $500 or more a year for the past few years, those thousands spent would have covered her $470 assuming she had zero deductible!!

Posted by: Flipper ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:02AM

Yes. It is a code violation. If i were you, I'd make an anonymous call to your local authority and have them look into the illegal apartment. I know around my sticks you need to have the fire marshal certify your location livable for rent.

I believe in Fairfax county, basement spots need to have at least point of regress and 2 ventilation windows in order to be able to rent it.

Do you have a friend you can stay with when the shit hits the fan? I say this as you should be present in the illegal rental while the violation is taking place otherwise the crummy landlord will deny any one lived there.

Then you can sue her for all the money you paid for rental under false pretenses. She is actually putting your life in harms way. Keep any info you have if their is a rental agreement.....

Not a sermon, just a thought!

Dee Wrote:
> No, its in Herndon/Reston area. The bedroom has
> heat but no a/c, (rest of basement apt has both)
> also the windows are just panes of glass,don't
> open. So that does sound like a code violation??
> probably is.

Posted by: ......... ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:44AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @............ doesnt matter how old the ride is -
> landlady hit it and OP has the right to be made
> whole from it, plain and simple.

That doesn't include fixing pre-existing damage.

Dee wrote:

"Too bad my car was older with some wear on the front bumper. I have already admitted to The two pre-existing small cracks on the right side of the bumper"

Case closed, she wants to pull a scam.

Date: August 11, 2011 10:45AM

Insurance fraud is a crime, just in case you didn't know.

Posted by: DDS ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:52AM

Dee, are you black by chance?

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: August 11, 2011 12:31PM

......... Wrote:
> "Too bad my car was older with some wear on the
> front bumper. I have already admitted to The two
> pre-existing small cracks on the right side of the
> bumper"
>
> Case closed, she wants to pull a scam.

Not quite Judge Judy. It depends on how bad the initial cracks were on the bumper and how bad the damage was that the landlord caused to the bumper. If the initial cracks were small so that the car was able to pass inspection and the bumper would still function as intended, and if the landlord hitting it caused the bumper to be worthless, the landlord doesn't get a pass because the bumper was less than perfect. It's the same principal as the one that says you don't get to avoid paying for a new windshield if you sent a rock flying through it simply because the old one had a couple of small its on it, or the rule that says you don't get to avoid paying for scratching the paint on someone's car simply because there were a few existing scratches on the car. Now you could make a case that instead of a perfectly new bumper the landlord ought to be able to replace it with a slightly dinged one that they got at the junkyard.

BTW threatening criminal action against someone if they pursue or don't drop a civil action can also be a no-no.

Still stand by my original point-$300 isn't enough to have to go through the hassles of obtaining and enforcing a judgment.

Date: August 11, 2011 12:43PM

Bill N Wrote:

> If the initial cracks were small so that the car
> was able to pass inspection and the bumper would
> still function as intended

The cracks have been described as small, both before and after the collision.

Also, this car has a bumper cover and a bumper energy absorber. If it is just the cover that is damaged, then the damage is only cosmetic. I suspect that any collision with enough force to damage the energy absorber would leave more than small cracks in the bumper cover.

Dee wrote:

"They claimed the two small cracks on the right front bumper was priot damage"

Date: August 11, 2011 12:44PM

Also I am unaware of any provision of the Virginia Safety Inspection Manual that allows a vehicle to be failed due to a crack in the bumper cover.

Date: August 11, 2011 12:45PM

Also, if you sue your landlord over this accident--State Farm will pay for her defense attorney.

Date: August 11, 2011 03:15PM

I wanna pull a scam...now that is funny. The two pre existing hairline cracks on the right front bumper were 1" and 2" in length. Her running into my parked car (in a designated space) resulted in the bumper geing pushed in the size of a large football. I explained to the landlord that I would compromise and pay $110 of the damages, price of new bumper cover. Because I now have a new bumper cover and better off than before. What about the concept of being made whole?? And reasonable and fair??

I'm aware State Farm may be present at the small claims court. All my paperwork is in order, and I have pictures of the damage. This should be a warning to all owners of older cars with less the pristine bumpers. If you have any preexisting dents, cracks or whatever, you better be aware.

Date: August 11, 2011 03:52PM

Dee Wrote:
Her running into
> my parked car (in a designated space) resulted in
> the bumper geing pushed in the size of a large
> football.

You seem to be changing your story...

Posted by: cash the check? ()
Date: August 11, 2011 08:58PM

If you already cashed the check from the insurance company there is probably nothing you can legally do to get more money. I'm quite certain that either the check or the paperwork that came along with the check stated that your acceptance of the check was full and final acceptance of the claim.

I think you are legally SOL.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:09PM

Fish heads... Still kidding...

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:28PM

Fish heads are great, but the trick is to leave some out in the open for the victim to see while also hiding some in the vents or drop ceilings.

They'll clean up the visible fish heads thinking that is the sole source of the smell, then gag for weeks wondering why the smell still hasn't dissipated.

Cartons of milk are nice too!

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: August 13, 2011 02:10PM

Haven't cashed the check. Check came by itself with no paperwork. And there is NO mention of "cashing this check means acceptance of this offer of settlement".

You are certainly wrong in your comment. So I am not legally SOL. Nice try.

Posted by: Fishhead ()
Date: August 13, 2011 05:07PM

Acceptance of check without the written consent, is still acceptance under law, correct?

Posted by: just passin by ()
Date: August 14, 2011 01:46AM

If there was any damage on the bumper caused by the landlord is it possible for a shop to fix that without replacing the bumper cover itself? If it isn't wouldn't any prior damage not be a factor?

Date: August 14, 2011 04:58PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix the damage due to the landlord on the bumper cover w/o replacing the entire bumper cover. That is my whole argument, the insignificant prior "damage" isn't relevant.

We have talked recently, and she may be agreeable to some compromise, which is all I really want. She thinks comprehensive auto insurance means she has no liability, all on State farm.

Posted by: got it? ()
Date: August 14, 2011 05:48PM

Dee Wrote:

> She thinks comprehensive auto insurance means she
> has no liability, all on State farm.

She's right--that's why you have insurance.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.