HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Career Counselors?
Posted by: young and confused ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:32PM

Just curious if anyone has had any luck with career counselors....are they worth it? are they a waste of time? can they help someone who has NO idea what they want to do with their lives......

Im 21 and have my associates degree. I have yet to pursue my bachelors degree because I have NO idea what I want to major in...Most people in my situation don't really care, and will be happy with any random bachelors degree..I, on the other hand, would rather spend my time,energy,money, investing in a degree that I know would be useful to me...

Most of my friends will be graduating next year and work for IT and government jobs..That is the last thing I would want to do...I know it takes a lot of money to live these days...but I'm desperate to discover something different.

So again, to sum it up...are career counselors worth it? anyone out there have insight to my particular situation...advice?

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Career Counselors?
Posted by: aaaaaaaaaa ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:39PM

What is your associates in?

Posted by: young and confused ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:44PM

Social Science Major...I was a General Education Major until I found out most 4 year universities do not accept them for transfers...So I added a few history classes to my schedule to fulfill my requirements for a Social Science Major....so yes, my associates degree does little help...

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:52PM

First you need to determine what kind of lifestyle you are ok living with. Because to many people think a job that earns lots of money will make them happy. However, chasing the almighty dollar often leads to emptiness. There are a lot of great jobs out there that pay decent money but you wont be driving a BMW and cooking in a gourmet kitchen.

Once you have determined that than you need to figure out if you like working behind a desk or on your feet. Me, I hate being behind a desk and prefer "field" work.

Posted by: Money ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:58PM

Money buys you freedom.

Date: August 02, 2011 09:09PM

You have a useless associates degree that you can use to get a useless bachelors degree. You need a four-year degree these days. I recommend you get one as expeditiously and easily as possible. Odds are you won't be using it in your ultimate career choice.

What do you like to do? That's the place to start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: aaaaaaaaaa ()
Date: August 02, 2011 09:11PM

young and confused Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Social Science Major...I was a General Education
> Major until I found out most 4 year universities
> do not accept them for transfers...So I added a
> few history classes to my schedule to fulfill my
> requirements for a Social Science Major....so yes,
> my associates degree does little help...

I think George Mason accepts General Education for some majors. Look into it.

Posted by: ljasdf;lka;l ()
Date: August 02, 2011 09:21PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> You have a useless associates degree that you can
> use to get a useless bachelors degree.

That's not productive. Neither are completely useless. Associates degrees generally make you more marketable to employers than people with only high school diplomas. It shows that you are able to commit to long-term goals and complete coursework at the college level. Bachelor degrees make you way more marketable than both.

Though bachelor degrees have become less prestigious in recent years, they are far from useless.

Date: August 02, 2011 09:29PM

ljasdf;lka;l Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You have a useless associates degree that you
> can
> > use to get a useless bachelors degree.
>
> That's not productive. Neither are completely
> useless. Associates degrees generally make you
> more marketable to employers than people with only
> high school diplomas.

Yeah. In subjects other than Social Science. How many places have jobs for people with two year Social Science degrees? Besides Best Buy, that is.

> It shows that you are able
> to commit to long-term goals and complete
> coursework at the college level. Bachelor degrees
> make you way more marketable than both.
>

Two year degrees have a value in certain subjects. For instance, IT, nursing, HVAC, etc. Usually technical fields. Two years in Social Science? Not so much.

> Though bachelor degrees have become less
> prestigious in recent years, they are far from
> useless.

Like I said, you need a four-year degree. But a four-year degree in social science, education or psychology are pretty useless on their own. Almost all of them require some sort of post-graduate work.

But like I said, if it's easy to get the social science degree, get it. Get it out of the way and then focus on what you really want to do. I know a lot of successful people who have undergraduate degrees totally unrelated to what they do now.

I would be interested in finding out what the OP likes to do. That's the first place to start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.