HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Texas To Execute Killer Despite Pleas. Good Send Him On his Way. Fuck the UN.
Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:33AM

President Obama, the State Department and Mexico ask Texas to halt the impending execution of a Mexican national convicted of rape and murder, citing a U.N.-enforced treaty.

Mexican National Inmate on Death Row Creates International Stir

The execution of a Mexican national on U.S. ground scheduled for Thursday has become something of an international brouhaha.

President Obama, the State Department and Mexico, have all asked Texas for a last-minute reprieve of Humberto Leal, 38, who was convicted in 1995 in the brutal raping and murder of a teenage girl. Citing the U.N.-enforced 1963 Vienna Treaty, the officials believe Leal could have altered his penalty had he been given the chance.

The treaty requires foreign nationals who are arrested in foreign countries the right to access their consulates. Texas police would have been required to inform Leal that he has the legal right to contact the Mexican consular, which could have offered him legal advice.

Critics say Leal, who was raised in the U.S. since he was 2-years-old, was never given the option and in turn, watched a jury take 45 minutes to find him guilty of raping and murdering a16-year-old girl. Although evidence against Leal was strong, critics say he incriminated himself and had other legal difficulties.

“If Texas were to proceed with the scheduled execution of Mr. Leal ... there could be no dispute that that execution would be unlawful -- specifically, in violation of treaty commitments validly made by the United States through constitutionally prescribed processes," Sandra Babcock, a Northwestern University law professor who is one of Leal's attorneys, said last week in her appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Last Friday, the Obama administration asked the U.S. Supreme Court to stop Texas from executing Leal, asking the court to delay the execution for up to six months to give Congress time to consider legislation that would enforce the U.N. treaty.

Congress reportedly had three years to pass the bill but did not. Hence, it is impossible to pass a bill that would spare Leal unless a stay is ordered.

One other possible way Leal may avoid the execution is if Texas Gov. Rick Perry grants a 30-day stay. However, a spokeswoman from his office said he has yet to make a decision on the case.

Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton say if Texas disregards the treaty, it may have consequences for American citizens arrested abroad.

But the state of Texas appears to bristle at the idea of a foreign body affecting judgments in the state, even though President George W. Bush endorsed the U.N. ruling.

“Texas is not bound by a foreign court’s ruling,” Katherine Cesinger, press secretary for Gov. Perry's office said in a statement. “The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the treaty was not binding on the states and that the president does not have the authority to order states to review cases of the then 51 foreign nationals on death row in the U.S.”

For 16 years, Leal has exercised his right to file appeals and motions so extensively, one judge in federal district court called his case “one of the most procedurally convoluted and complex habeas corpus proceedings” he ever reviewed.

So as it stands, the death warrant could be served any time after 6 p.m. Thursday. He will be allowed to address the media, meet family and friends and eat his last meal: fried chicken, pico de Gallo and guisada tacos.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/06/mexican-national-inmate-on-death-row-creates-international-stir/#ixzz1RPUjlDnX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texas To Execute Killer Despite Pleas. Good Send Him On his Way. Fuck the UN.
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:51AM

It's funny how the governor of Texas is incapable of understanding a law that even retards like North Korea and Iran recognize.

Re: Texas To Execute Killer Despite Pleas. Good Send Him On his Way. Fuck the UN.
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:54AM

I oppose the death penalty for the fact that it is irreversible and that justice does make mistakes too often.

Fuck this guy though.Texas is doing the right thing in saying fuck you to Mexico and Obama's radical kook Justice Department.

One of the problems that were getting from all of the illegal immigration and multiculturalism promoted by the Left is people like this guy, who despite being a U.S resident since being a toddler, will still claim the status and privilege of Mexican nationality when it's time to face the music.

I hope American nationals who murder abroad are treated the same, who fucking cares.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: July 07, 2011 09:13AM

Tell me when the sub human is put to sleep. Then we'll celebrate.

Posted by: Raptured ()
Date: July 07, 2011 09:14AM

Pardon for noting the obvious, however this is not "Obama's radical kook Justice Department" at work.

We sign international treaties for a reason. That signature means something. Ignoring that signature means something much more important.

Date: July 07, 2011 09:27AM

Here's the trick-

If the killer had turned out as a good student/citizen/etc, he would be a poster child for the Dream Act and considered American as Apple Pie...

..but because he is a killer, he is suddenly privvy to all the protections of Mexico, a country he hasn't lived in since he was two fucking years old.

I hope American nationals who murder abroad are treated the same, who fucking cares.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: July 07, 2011 09:27AM

Raptured Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pardon for noting the obvious, however this is not
> "Obama's radical kook Justice Department" at
> work.

This treaty was also enforced by the Bush administration. But today's average American conservatives actually take pride in their ignorant, selfish disrespect for the law. These aren't good citizens. They're a bunch of redneck knuckleheads getting some kind of juvenile satisfaction out of snubbing their noses at authority. Boy, they sure showed everybody who's in charge.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: July 07, 2011 09:31AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> It's funny how the governor of Texas is incapable
> of understanding a law that even retards like
> North Korea and Iran recognize.

What's even funnier is how you disregard the laws of our land and the ruling of said "treaty" by the US Supreme Court.

“The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the treaty was not binding on the states and that the president does not have the authority to order states to review cases of the then 51 foreign nationals on death row in the U.S.”

Which part of "we the people, in order to form a more perfect union...don't give a rats ass about North Korea or Iran", don't you understand?

Grow some balls, pick a side and stand up for it, Meeper. From here it appears you've choosen the side of the UN, North Korea and Iran.

Was that really the effect you were looking for?

Date: July 07, 2011 09:40AM

SoylentGreen Wrote:
>
> “The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2008 that the
> treaty was not binding on the states and that the
> president does not have the authority to order
> states to review cases of the then 51 foreign
> nationals on death row in the U.S.”

I actually misread that in the original article and stand corrected. That doesn't change my opinion of you or the teabaggers though.

Date: July 07, 2011 09:48AM

6:00 pm Central is zero hour.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: July 07, 2011 10:52AM

WingNut Wrote:
> I oppose the death penalty for the fact that it is
> irreversible and that justice does make mistakes
> too often.
>
> Fuck this guy though.Texas is doing the right
> thing in saying fuck you to Mexico and Obama's
> radical kook Justice Department.
>
> One of the problems that were getting from all of
> the illegal immigration and multiculturalism
> promoted by the Left is people like this guy, who
> despite being a U.S resident since being a
> toddler, will still claim the status and privilege
> of Mexican nationality when it's time to face the
> music.
>
> I hope American nationals who murder abroad are
> treated the same, who fucking cares.

Pretty much agree. Remember the asshole American who got his ass caned in Singapore for spraypainting graffiti on cars? All these idiots were saying how cruel it was, but the guy clearly got what he deserved.

And I bet he doesn't vandalize shit in Singapore anymore.

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: July 07, 2011 11:06AM

Not that it makes it right, but I'm sure in the real world of 1995, Texas Law EnForcement assumed that notifying the Mexican Consulate would have been a waste of time.

Generally speaking, Mexico doesnt show much concern for the welfare of it lower classes at home let a lone abroad.

Posted by: SoylentGreen ()
Date: July 07, 2011 12:09PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
That doesn't change my
> opinion of you or the teabaggers though.

I'm not real choked up about your opinion of me. Sorry. But I am concerned about your lack of caring and understanding when it comes to homosexuals.

You see moron, straight people (pay attention because you really need to know this) do not generally perform the act of "teabagging" nor are they very receptive to it. Gays on the other hand, seem to enjoy that particular act.

Now here comes the tricky part....

How many gays do you believe are members of the "tea party"?

You try to insult but you show your ignorance.

By trying to show how trendy and hip you are by slandering one group of people, you attempt to include them into another group of people that I doubt seriously are very happy to be included.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: July 07, 2011 12:31PM

LOOOOLLL! I thought the title read "Texas to Execute Killer PEAS..."!!!

LOLLLLL!!!

Signatures are for fags

Date: July 07, 2011 12:59PM

SoylentGreen Wrote:
> TheMeeper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> That doesn't change my
> > opinion of you or the teabaggers though.
>
>
> I'm not real choked up about your opinion of me.
> Sorry. But I am concerned about your lack of
> caring and understanding when it comes to
> homosexuals.
>
> You see moron, straight people (pay attention
> because you really need to know this) do not
> generally perform the act of "teabagging" nor are
> they very receptive to it. Gays on the other
> hand, seem to enjoy that particular act.
>
> Now here comes the tricky part....
>
> How many gays do you believe are members of the
> "tea party"?
>
> You try to insult but you show your ignorance.
>
> By trying to show how trendy and hip you are by
> slandering one group of people, you attempt to
> include them into another group of people that I
> doubt seriously are very happy to be included.

I'm not sure where it started, but I think using the term "teabag" to refer to a sexual act is retarded.

Posted by: yaknow? ()
Date: July 07, 2011 01:01PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I'm not sure where it started, but I think using
> the term "teabag" to refer to a sexual act is
> retarded.

I'm not sure where it started, but I think using the term "TheMeeper" to refer to oneself is retarded.

Posted by: mvt ()
Date: July 07, 2011 01:08PM

Hey Meeper,
Take a look at Medellín v. Texas,ya tard. You actually think you are educated and intelligent, but your statements betray you.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:12PM

mvt Wrote:
> Hey Meeper,
> Take a look at Medellín v. Texas,ya tard. You
> actually think you are educated and intelligent,
> but your statements betray you.

Go back and re-read where I said "I stand corrected" ya friggin nincompoop.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:13PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> mvt Wrote:
> -----
> > Hey Meeper,
> > Take a look at Medellín v. Texas,ya tard. You
> > actually think you are educated and
> intelligent,
> > but your statements betray you.
>
> Go back and re-read where I said "I stand
> corrected" ya friggin nincompoop.

You don't stand corrected, you stand retarded.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:14PM

FurfaxTownie Wrote:
> Not that it makes it right, but I'm sure in the
> real world of 1995, Texas Law EnForcement assumed
> that notifying the Mexican Consulate would have
> been a waste of time.
>
If the guy was here in the USA since age 2, would anyone have assumed that he was a Mexican National. Hell, did he even know he was a Mexican national???

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Date: July 07, 2011 01:20PM

mvt Wrote:
>
> You don't stand corrected, you stand retarded.

Silly teabagger.

Date: July 07, 2011 01:22PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> mvt Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > You don't stand corrected, you stand retarded.
>
> Silly teabagger.

Why do you call me a teabagger? Am I the one that is some faggy ass finger in the air tea connoisseur?

Date: July 07, 2011 01:28PM

mvt Wrote:
>
> Why do you call me a teabagger? Am I the one that
> is some faggy ass finger in the air tea
> connoisseur?

Boy, you sure are agitated today. What's wrong, tonite's square dance get canceled?

Date: July 07, 2011 01:34PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Boy, you sure are agitated today. What's wrong,
> tonite's square dance get canceled?

Why do you think I am agitated? As for the square dance, I have no idea where or when one would be held in this area. You seem a bit preoccupied with it though.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 07, 2011 02:15PM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> FurfaxTownie Wrote:
> -----
> > Not that it makes it right, but I'm sure in the
> > real world of 1995, Texas Law EnForcement
> assumed
> > that notifying the Mexican Consulate would have
> > been a waste of time.
> >
> If the guy was here in the USA since age 2, would
> anyone have assumed that he was a Mexican
> National. Hell, did he even know he was a Mexican
> national???

Right, that is the problem. Even today they are agonizing over just having the right to ask for citizenship status - see Arizona SB 1070 - even when they arrest someone. Back then, who would have thought to ask for status, or to check with the embassy? Maybe he identified himself as American - having lived here since the age of 2 why would he say otherwise? So this is just a chickenshit defense at this point - the guy was guilty, and it is a farce to try and use this "technicality" to get him off death row.

Maybe this should make it clear as to why they should be allowed to ask for status of citizenship at the time of arrest - so they can make sure the proper authorities are notified when the subject is a "foreign national" rather than a citizen of the US.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: brian ()
Date: July 07, 2011 02:36PM

Texas has the right idea. Why do we continue to consider Mexico anything other than our next door enemy? Their Government is slightly more corrupt that ours which I never knew was possible. In addition, Obama is scum. His gutless regime has pushed this country into being the next Mexico... I think on every phase that this country is on the wrong side of history.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:34PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 10:37PM by Alias.

Posted by: huey ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:38PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> But today's average American
> conservatives actually take pride in their
> ignorant, selfish disrespect for the law.

You mean like not prosecuting voting rights infractions? Or, do you mean not enforcing laws that were passed by both chambers in Congress and signed into law by the President? Or, maybe you mean not abiding by the WPR? Are these the types of things you mean when you say "selfish disrespect for the law"?

Posted by: His last meal is.. ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:38PM

Fried Chicken, Refried beans, Tacos. ice cream amd cake. Piece of shit death row walking dead scum bag eats better then most of the good people in this country.

Date: July 07, 2011 03:44PM

FYI: I didn't catch the part where it said the Supreme Court ruled it was not binding. I was reading off a tiny iphone screen while riding in a crowded metro car while wearing headphones- makes it easy to get distracted. That's why I stand corrected: if the SCOTUS says it's unenforceable, that's that, case closed.

As for your stupid opinion, you're just some crazy old lady IMO, and you're not even from around here. Go post some gibberish in one of Mr. Misery's threads.

edit: this was a reply was to "Alias's" silliness, not the other dumbass above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 03:46PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: huey ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:52PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> edit: this was a reply was to "Alias's" silliness,
> not the other dumbass above.

Says the dumbass who can't answer the question......

Posted by: HOLD ON!!! ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:58PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Go post some gibberish in one of Mr.
> Misery's threads.
>
> edit: this was a reply was to "Alias's" silliness,
> not the other dumbass above.

Screw you. Fairfax after Dark has some stimulating intellectual discussions that go on. Don't make off the cuff comments about things you don't have a clue. BTW.... it is one of the longest running threads in this forum and is a favorite of alot of viewers. Go get your shoeshine box.......lampblack!

Posted by: Truth. ()
Date: July 07, 2011 04:05PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> But today's average American
> conservatives actually take pride in their
> ignorant, selfish disrespect for the law. These
> aren't good citizens.

That's rich coming from a guy who bragged about defaming a former employee, i.e. actually took pride in your selfish disrespect for the law.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/245740/245766.html#msg-245766

By your own definition you're not a good citizen.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 07, 2011 05:06PM

If Texas bows to pressure, then every wetback in the country will pull this shit as their defense. Granted, I understand how it's a two-way street internationally speaking, but since when has Mexico respected anything of ours?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Justice7 ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:36PM

No such law over the state of texas, read up on it...thank God the high court got it right. In korea and iran, those Americans didn't murder a 16 yr old child...

Posted by: Justice7 ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:40PM

TheMeeper wrote: Posted by: TheMeeper ()

Date: July 07, 2011 08:51AM

It's funny how the governor of Texas is incapable of understanding a law that even retards like North Korea and Iran recognize.
-----------------------

No such law over the state of texas, read up on it...thank God the high court got it right. In korea and iran, those Americans didn't murder a 16 yr old child...

Date: July 07, 2011 09:10PM

Ya know, maybe they shouldn't exec-

....oops too late!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/07/texas.mexican.execution/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: July 08, 2011 05:59AM

He didn't go on an empty stomach like his victim probably did. He had plenty of chicken and tacos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Cisco Kid ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:09AM

Adios amigo.

Texas - 1 Barry - 0
Attachments:
SuperStock_4048-3930.jpg

Posted by: He admitted it ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:31AM

His last words consisted of "I take responsibility for this". He got his just reward and the Government saved alot of money, everyone comes out a winner. Fuck him and his so-called rights.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:41AM

We have border towns in Texas virtually controlled by Mexican drug cartels, but Mexico wants to condemn the execution of an admitted and legally-tried rapist/murderer?

Delightful.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: July 08, 2011 11:44AM

"Leal then shouted "Viva Mexico," followed by "I'm ready warden, let's get the show on the road." "

stay classy, murdering/raping hispanics..

Mexican national executed in Texas
Posted by: Updated ()
Date: July 08, 2011 12:32PM

Mexican national executed in Texas
By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer
July 7, 2011 9:30 p.m. EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/07/texas.mexican.execution/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., a Mexican national convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl in 1994, was executed by lethal injection Thursday evening in Texas.

The case's flurry of legal appeals and pleas for clemency were prompted by an international dispute over the rights of the foreign-born on American death rows.

The Supreme Court earlier denied a stay of execution for the convicted killer, despite opposition from the Obama administration and the Mexican government.

Leal was pronounced dead at 6:21 p.m. CT (7:21 p.m. ET), according to a corrections spokeswoman.

"I am sorry for everything I have done," Leal said at the Huntsville facility before he was executed. "I have hurt a lot of people. Let this be final and be done. I take the full blame for this."

Mexican national executed

Leal then shouted "Viva Mexico," followed by "I'm ready warden, let's get the show on the road."

His last meal consisted of fried chicken, pico de gallo, tacos, two colas and a bowl of fried okra.

What made Leal's conviction unusual was that he was not informed about his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest -- a right guaranteed under a binding international treaty. Leal's appellate lawyers argued such access could at the very least have kept Leal off death row.

Mexico strongly condemned the execution, saying it violated an International Court of Justice ruling ordering the United States to review capital convictions of Mexican nationals.

Leal, 38, was convicted of raping Adria Sauceda, a 16-year-old girl in San Antonio, and then fatally strangling and bludgeoning her with a 35-pound piece of asphalt in 1994.

The Supreme Court justices split 5-4 along conservative-liberal lines in denying a stay of execution. In an unsigned opinion by the majority, the court refused to delay the execution until Congress could pass pending legislation giving federal courts the authority to hear similar claims from foreign inmates.

"We decline to follow the United States' suggestion of granting a stay to allow Leal to bring a claim based on hypothetical legislation when it cannot even bring itself to say that his attempt to overturn his conviction has any prospect of success," said the majority.

In dissent, four justices led by Stephen Breyer urged a delay in moving ahead with Leal's execution. "It is difficult to see how the State's interest in the immediate execution of an individual convicted of capital murder 16 years ago can outweigh the considerations that support additional delay, perhaps only until the end of the summer," said Breyer, who was supported by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan.

Sandra Babcock, lead appellate attorney, said, "it is shameful that Mr. Leal will pay the price for our inaction. The need for congressional action to restore our reputation and protect our citizens is more urgent than ever."

"This case was not just about one Mexican national on death row in Texas," Babcock said in a statement. "The execution of Mr. Leal violates the United States' treaty commitments, threatens the nation's foreign policy interests, and undermines the safety of all Americans abroad."

The state's Board of Pardons and Parole ruled that Leal did not deserve to have his death sentence commuted to life in prison without parole.

The victim's mother, Rachel Terry, had called for the execution.

"A technicality doesn't give anyone a right to come to this country and rape, torture and murder anyone, in this case my daughter," she told CNN affiliate KSAT in San Antonio. Terry described her daughter as "a beautiful, bright, vibrant young woman, full of hope and aspirations."

"It's been difficult for myself and her family members," she added. "She certainly was taken away from us at a very young age. We just want closure."

Leal's lawyers argued the consulate access violation was more than a technicality. Babcock told CNN that Mexican officials would have ensured Leal had the most competent trial defense possible, if they had been able to speak with him right after his felony arrest.

"I think in most of these cases it was not a deliberate thing. Local police lack training" on the Vienna Convention, Babcock said, referring to the international agreement that includes consular access.

Leal's backers say he had learning disabilities and brain damage, and suffered from sexual abuse at the hands of his parish priest, and that consul officials would have assisted in such a defense. They say those factors should have been considered at the sentencing phase of the trial.

Leal claimed he did not learn of his consular access right until two years after his capital conviction. He said he learned of the right not from any official, but from a fellow prisoner.

Eventually, between 2010 and 2011, Leal was visited by a representative of the Mexican government more than 10 times, said Judy Garces, press relations spokeswoman with the Mexican Consulate in San Antonio.

The state argued that Leal -- who has lived in the United States since age 2 -- never revealed his Mexican citizenship at the time of arrest, and his defense team never raised the consular access issue at or before trial.

Prosecutors also said the evidence against him was indisputable. The victim was tortured, and a bite mark on her body was matched to Leal. A bloody shirt belonging to Sauceda was discovered at the suspect's home. The two had attended a party separately earlier that evening. The girl's nude body was found on a dirt road.

Leal was one of 40 Mexican citizens awaiting lethal injection in U.S. prisons.

The issue turned on what role each branch of government plays in giving force to international treaty obligations.

Three years ago, the Supreme Court justices concluded Texas could execute another Mexican man sentenced to death for murder. Jose Medellin was given a lethal injection by the state a few months later.

The question then and now is whether the state has to give in to a demand by the president that the prisoner be allowed new hearings and sentencing. In the 2008 case, President George W. Bush made that demand reluctantly after an international court concluded Medellin was improperly denied access to his consulate before his original prosecution, a violation of the treaty signed by the United States decades ago.

The Mexican government filed a supporting appeal with the high court in Washington this past week, asking the justices to block Leal's execution, citing Bush's previous executive action.

On Friday, the Obama administration asked Texas to delay the execution.

"This case implicates United States foreign policy interests of the highest order," including protecting U.S. citizens abroad and promoting good relations with other countries, new Solicitor General Donald Verrilli Jr. said.

Congress has also stepped in. Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, introduced a bill in June to formally grant federal courts the power to review these kinds of appeals.

"This case is not an isolated instance; the issue of consular notification remains a serious diplomatic and legal concern," Leahy said Thursday.

Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry's office countered that a federal appeals court had already given Leal the judicial scrutiny the Obama administration and the United Nations seek, ultimately rejecting his claims.

"If you commit the most heinous of crimes in Texas, you can expect to face the ultimate penalty under our laws," Katherine Cesinger, spokeswoman for the governor, told CNN. "Congress has had the opportunity to consider and pass legislation for the federal courts' review of such cases since 2008, and has not done so each time a bill was filed."

Ted Cruz, the state's former solicitor general who argued the 2008 Supreme Court case for Texas, said Leal waited too long to raise these issues.

"The question is not should a foreign national have the right to contact their consulate," Cruz told CNN. "The question is, years later, after they have been tried, after they have been convicted, after it has been clear like Humberto Leal that they are a vicious child rapist and murderer, should you come in and set aside that conviction. You can't come back years later and try and set aside your trial with some additional claim you wish you had raised."

Cruz is now running for the U.S. Senate as a Republican candidate.

The Supreme Court appeal is Leal v. Texas (11-5001).

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- NEW: Mexico condemns execution of Humberto Leal Garcia Jr. in Texas
- The U.S. Supreme Court denied a stay of execution
- Leal was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest
- Obama administration officials and others asked for a reprieve

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., 38, was convicted of raping Adria Sauceda, 16, in San Antonio, Texas, and then killing her.
Attachments:
story_humberto_garcia_gi.jpg

Posted by: Dom ()
Date: July 08, 2011 01:34PM

Bottom line is if you come to Texas and murder someone, your ass is toast. End of disccusion...No amount of legalese will allow you to escape the basic principle of an eye for an eye. Yes the death penalty is permanent and yes the justice system screws up time and time again. However in this particular case where the evidence was undisputable, the only way he would escape capitol punishment is by arguing his mental state which he would have lost without a shadow of doubt. This is one case the Justice Department got 100% correct. And to you idiots who bring the president into this, he's trying to do the presidential thing and that is to consider and honor treaties. Do not try to blame him for anything because you do not know the mans personal feelings on the subject. You have no idea how hard it must be to hold the highest office in the land. On one hand you agree that this man should be executed but your duties that you swore to uphold only permit you to act as the presidents before have and in this case, obligates you to try to honor a treaty that you had no say in. Think about it, if the president really wanted to flex, how hard do you think it would be for him and Senator Clinton and a host of other powerful figures to travel down to Texas and punk Rick Perry? Something tells me that President Obama agreed with this execution and did not press the issue. He merely had to verbally speak his presidentially obligated chit chat and that was the extent to which he was morally bound to do so because he knows right from wrong like everyone else.

Posted by: tmill9 ()
Date: July 08, 2011 01:50PM

He merely had to verbally speak his presidentially obligated chit chat

How in the world is the president obligated to object to a state's executing its laws? Upholding treaties? Is there a treaty that exists that prohibits a state in these United States from excercising its own laws?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.