HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
best direct tv deal
Posted by: confused ()
Date: November 25, 2007 07:48PM

Hi, we're looking to switch to direct tv. There seemingly are dozens of "deals". We're basic folks with TNT/Discovery being the top tier on our menu. We'd like to have at least 3-4 boxes but can live with 2. I've seen deals for 30/mo, free installation but not sure what installation of up to 4-5 rooms mean (does that mean we get 4-5 boxes?). We currently have cable to most of the rooms in our house so I'm assuming they can just wire it through that system.

Also, I'm told we can buy boxes from best buy. If we do so, do we need to then buy the cards from direct tv to program them?

TIA

confused

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best direct tv deal
Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: November 25, 2007 08:40PM

How many fucking tv's do you need????!!! You need to watch TNT and Discovery in every room, 24 hours a day???? I don't get it. ANYWAY.....HBO/Showtime with Direct TV is $92/month. Additional boxes are $4.95/month (per box). That's what they've been charging me in Fairfax for the past year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2007 08:41PM by gabydamage.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 25, 2007 09:40PM

Might I suggest that you browse directv.com? Or call DIRECTV to get a list of their current new customer offers?

It sounds like you just need the Choice package... $49.99/month. Then as gabydamage noted, you'll pay an extra $4.99 a month for every additional receiver (after the primary). HD and DVR service is extra as well.

You can pick-up receivers from Best Buy. However, I don't think that you can technically buy them... DIRECTV only has one purchase option and it is very convoluted. Even the receivers for "sale" at Best Buy are actually on a lease program.

In any case, picking up the receivers from Best Buy is somewhat pointless as you'll still need to have the dish installed (and the installer can bring the receivers to you). So why not just call?

Posted by: confused ()
Date: November 25, 2007 09:55PM

I will call but I generally look online first and didn't know if online coupons had more to offer. For example, online you can currently get the 49.99 choice pkg for 29.99. Can you explain your "Best Buy are actually on a lease program" comment? I hate leasing and need at least 2 boxes.

Thanks

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 25, 2007 11:25PM

I mean that if you go to Best Buy to get a DIRECTV receiver, you won't have the option to buy it. You have to lease. That being said, you won't be charged an additional lease fee - just the standard $4.99 for an additional receiver.

Keep in mind that despite the fact that it is a leased receiver, you may still be required to pay something up front. There shouldn't be any fees for standard receivers, but you may have to pay for a DVR, HD receiver or HD DVR (but this still doesn't mean you own the receiver).

Therefore, if you do get a receiver at Best Buy, you'll be required to activate it within a certain time frame. And if you cancel your service, you will have to send the receiver back.

Posted by: Honkeykong ()
Date: July 26, 2020 07:46PM

Is this deal still available?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.