HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VACATION SPOTS HELP.. KEY WEST OR ST.THOMAS?
Posted by: WHERE TO GO.... ()
Date: November 05, 2007 07:37PM

Need help deciding either Key west or St.Thomas? i would be stayin at the holiday inn at either spot.. anyone been to these places and can say anything about them?
THANK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VACATION SPOTS HELP.. KEY WEST OR ST.THOMAS?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:14PM

I haven't been to Key West, but I wasn't super impressed with St. Thomas. It's so commercialized, it feels kind of like Disneyland....with grime.

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:40PM

Pay a few more dollars and hit Aruba.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:54PM

Neither, go to St. John. Caneel Bay.

Posted by: WHERE TO GO.... ()
Date: November 05, 2007 08:56PM

well what can yall tell me about key west, i think thats where im gonna end up going

Posted by: hold em ()
Date: November 05, 2007 11:00PM

What are you looking to do? Scuba or looking for a beach? Key West has great scuba facilities. You could always take a cruise and hit several beaches in the Caribbean or Mexico.
I took a cruise to Bermuda but went through a hurricane on the way down. Gives the word scared a new meaning. The ship was tossed around like it was a boogie board. Bermuda is nice but can be expensive unless you are staying on a ship. I thought it was cleaner and the people nicer that what I saw in the Caribbean.

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: November 06, 2007 06:39AM

If you are gay, you may really enjoy Key West, so I've read.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 06, 2007 08:43AM

Go to the Bahamas and stay at The Atlantis. It's a real classy place, right across the harbor from Nassau. The beaches are real nice and there's alot of fun stuff to do at the hotel. The "city" of Nassau is sort of a shithole, but there's some fun places along the main street. I'd definitely go there over Key West.

Posted by: Tia2 ()
Date: November 06, 2007 09:02AM

I highly recommend St. Maarten! Stay on the french side, and at about 10:00pm get in your rented jeep, drive about 15 minutes to the Dutch side and enjoy the nightlife! The bars close at 6:00am and they are all wonderful!

The cruise ships dock on the Dutch side, therefore there are a bunch of tourists hanging around, all of which you can see in Key West. If you stay on the french side, you really feel like you are somewhere else because all of the locals really speak french. It's beautiful and very romantic, and if you care - all beaches are topless and/or nude!

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 06, 2007 09:07AM

I know people who have Winter homes in the Key's and they love it. You need to get off the beaten path to find the real gems in the Key's. I've gone by boat to areas in the Key's that were right out of an azure blue warm water postcard and you have the whole sandy cove to yourself. The year round locals are typical tropical paradise locals, they pretty much went to the Key's on vacation and just decided to stay. Don't go in the Summer, it is way to hot.

I highly suggest you take a scuba course down there. Scuba there is awesome!

You don't have to go to Key West. There are plenty of Key's to choose from. If you don't scuba dive make sure you check out the glass bottom boats at http://www.pennekamppark.com/glassbottom.html

Also check out this beach, it's the place you'll find the hottie naked babe's:
http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/default.cfm

A must is to charter a boat and go fishing! March is "Spring Break" so plan accordingly.

As for gay's. I've always stayed with locals in the middle Key's and I didn't notice any flaming gays. Most people are boaters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2007 09:14AM by Lurker..
Attachments:
pickupwater.gif
kayay.bmp

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: November 07, 2007 01:24AM

I have always wanted to go to the keys. I would like to see those 6 toed cats that Hemingway fed and now they are still there. Also there is one key that has these tiny little deer. I forget their name but my sister in law loved them. Plus it would be fun to go to som of those places in the Jimmy Buffet songs like Captain Tony's.

St. Thomas is nice also. The shopping is great. I would have to agree with Neen though. St. John's at Caneel Bay is like a paradise.
We just returned from Turks and Caicos and loved it there. But just getting away anywhere to a beach will be fun. I am going to Fort Lauderdale in a few weeks because I get the heebie jeebies if I haven't been to a beach in a few months or so.

Have fun!!

Trickie

Posted by: STJ'er ()
Date: November 07, 2007 07:51AM

Yea..St. Johns or Aruba would be a good bet......St. Johns has more options for snorkeling with all the different beaches. Aruba has guaranteed weather.

Posted by: My vote ()
Date: November 08, 2007 06:56PM

7-mile beach at Grand Cayman. Key West is like Daytona in that it is a redneck magnet....unless that's your thing, of course.

Posted by: STJ'er ()
Date: November 09, 2007 02:28PM

Caneel Bay is soooooo beautiful...but very big bucks too.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 12, 2007 12:18PM

wow look at the sunburn on that diver

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.