HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mac vs Windows
Posted by: WindowsUser ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:38PM

I'm saving up for a new laptop and was considering a Macbook Pro. My current laptop, running Windows 7, reliably does what I want it to do (fast internet browsing and school-work) but lacks aesthetic appeal. I'm more of a console gamer so I could care less about the computer's ability to run fancy games. The most significant thing I like when using Windows is how familiar it feels. Is it hard to get used to using a Mac? How does Mac's OS X/Snow Leopard compare to Windows 7? Do the differences justify the high price of Mac products?

Do you need anti-virus/spyware on Macs? How common are those threats?

Simply telling me that "Windows sucks" or "Macs suck" doesn't help me at all. Explain why!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mac vs Windows
Posted by: meade fan#1 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:41PM

you suck!

Posted by: APPLE = FAGGOTRY ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:56PM

STEVE JOBS IS A FAGGOT

Date: March 28, 2011 08:03PM

I BET STEVE JOBS IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GAY AS YOUR FATHER IS !

Posted by: APPLE = FAGGOTRY ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:13PM

YOUR FATHER = FAGGOT OF ALL FAGGOTS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I BET STEVE JOBS IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GAY AS YOUR
> FATHER IS !

STEVE JOBS IS MY FATHER

Date: March 28, 2011 08:17PM

NO, HE IS NOT GAY ENOUGH TO BE YOUR DADDY.
IT TAKES A VERY SPECIAL QUEER TO MAKE ONE OF YOU.

Posted by: Hatemotor ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:18PM

I hope you have found this feedback useful WindowsUser,,,

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:40PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Signatures are for fags

Posted by: LinuxUser ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:42PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
> I hope you have found this feedback useful
> WindowsUser,,,

mor liek windowsLUSER AMIRITE? LUNIX FTW

Posted by: WindowsUser ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:43PM

Hatemotor Wrote:
> I hope you have found this feedback useful
> WindowsUser,,,

Tremendously...

Posted by: MrMystery ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:38PM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...................................or as eesh says, "if it ain't gay, [ I ] don't fuck it."

Posted by: Matt0681 ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:01PM

Okay, I'll bite..

I was a Windows user from the days of Dos 5.0 and Windows 3.1 right up thru Windows 7. Needless to say, I was tired of the constant crap with my PC's. Errors, the all to familiar "blue screen of death," slow startup and shutdown times, and the "crapware" spyware and viruses I would get.

When in the market for a new computer last year, I decided to take the plunge and get a Mac. Best move I could've done... I run no virus protection, and have never had a problem with spyware or viruses. Startup time on my iMac: 38 seconds from power on to complete usability. Shutdown time: 3 seconds. For comparison I tested the startup time on my wife's HP laptop running Win 7: 1 min 36 seconds to complete usability (by that I mean everything that needs to startup has started, and it is not "working" anymore opening things or starting processes)

Certainly, there was a bit of a learning curve, but I found I can do everything I could with my PC, just much faster. The Mac is more ascetically pleasing, and has a much sharper display.

Buy an Apple product, you won't be sorry.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:28PM

Matt0681 Wrote:
> Okay, I'll bite..
>
> I was a Windows user from the days of Dos 5.0 and
> Windows 3.1 right up thru Windows 7. Needless to
> say, I was tired of the constant crap with my
> PC's. Errors, the all to familiar "blue screen of
> death," slow startup and shutdown times, and the
> "crapware" spyware and viruses I would get.
>
> When in the market for a new computer last year, I
> decided to take the plunge and get a Mac. Best
> move I could've done... I run no virus
> protection, and have never had a problem with
> spyware or viruses. Startup time on my iMac: 38
> seconds from power on to complete usability.
> Shutdown time: 3 seconds. For comparison I tested
> the startup time on my wife's HP laptop running
> Win 7: 1 min 36 seconds to complete usability (by
> that I mean everything that needs to startup has
> started, and it is not "working" anymore opening
> things or starting processes)
>
> Certainly, there was a bit of a learning curve,
> but I found I can do everything I could with my
> PC, just much faster. The Mac is more ascetically
> pleasing, and has a much sharper display.
>
> Buy an Apple product, you won't be sorry.

Apple products are way overpriced; they sell an image, it's all hype. All those douchebags waiting in line for the new iPad 2, for what? Apple is manufacturing their crap in China alongside all those Microsoft based computers.

If you want to jump on the hate Microsoft bandwagon, get Ubuntu. It's free, practical, completely safe (even safer than Mac), and user friendly.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:51PM

Mac stuff is definitely overpriced and somewhat cultish, but I'll take my MacBook Pro over my wife's Window 7 piece of shit any day. I've had ZERO problems with my Mac, while her hard drive blew up and we had to replace it less than one year of owning it. It hasn't run the same since...

Fuck PCs.

Posted by: Gonzo ()
Date: March 29, 2011 09:53PM

Like Matt0681 I was a PC user until my last one gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a MacBook Pro primarily because of GarageBand (I knew from experience it's the best turn-key, no-hoops basic music production app available), but I was also curious about the Mac aesthetic/user experience.

The Mac experience is definitely more slick, and the included software package blows away what comes installed on a PC. On the downside, you don't want to deviate too much from the Apple way of doing things (for example, don't try to outsmart iTunes when it comes to storing music). And of course the price difference pays for a lot of that included software.

The learning curve is more or less nonexistent as long as you're slightly more computer savvy than the average 80 year old. Biggest difference is the one-piece trackpad (which I've come to love - PC trackpads with separate buttons seem archaic now).

As for viruses, it is true that there are hasn't been a virus for an Apple OS in about a dozen years. While there's no guarantee that someone won't write a Mac virus tomorrow, it is nice to know that at this point in time you can surf pretty much with immunity, as opposed to being paranoid about every new site you visit with a PC.

Bottom line - current Windows PC's are stable and can do pretty much anything Macs can do as far as apps go. In your case, then, it sounds like the price difference would only be worth it if you were interested in a more streamlined user experience and a lack of virus threats. Oh yeah, and I think battery life is still a MacBook selling point.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: March 29, 2011 11:40PM

Linux,
Attachments:
pc-mac-linux.jpg

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: March 30, 2011 11:44AM

Go with a mac. Been using them for years. Windows is just a poor copy of the Mac interface.

Never have issues with viruses, though with Mac's gaining in popularity that will more than likely change. My machine never crashes. The PC's I've had to deal with constantly have issues and crashes.

Buy a mac, go to the mac store and take their free getting started classes. They'll walk you through the differences. And if there's a problem, which is usually an idiot user issue, you can go to the store and make an appointment at their "Genius BAr" and they'll help you solve whatever the problem is. Free every time I've gone.

ANd yes, Mac's are more expensive, but you don't have to then add a ton of crap to make them work like a lot of the cheap PCs. "Oh, you still need to buy RAM, or some special board to use that app. That'll be another $300 please." "Oh, you want to use videos? You need to buy a video card, that'll be another $200." Etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 11:46AM by Shadow.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.