HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Critics trash "Sucker Punch"
Posted by: Critic ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:27PM

I don't think I'll be seeing this one. I thought it looked like shit from the trailers...

Reviews of the film have been mostly negative. Rotten Tomatoes reports that only 23% of 67 critics have given the film positive reviews. The movie's special effects and visuals were praised, but was criticized for its plot and characters. As of March 25, 2011, The film holds a 37 out of 100 on Metacritic, signifying "Generally Unfavorable" reviews among critics. Roger Moore of the Orlando Sentinel gave the movie one out of four stars saying that the film is "an unerotic unthrilling erotic thriller in the video game mold, Sucker Punch is Last Airbender with bustiers." A.O. Scott of The New York Times stated that there is nothing in the movie to enjoy beyond the tiny satisfaction in noting the movie lives up to it's name.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Critics trash "Sucker Punch"
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:38PM

LOL at around the middle of the preview. I don't think a group of women locked in a mental institution look that hot.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:41PM

Snyder has described the film as "Alice in Wonderland with machine guns", including dragons, B-25 bombers and brothels. Snyder's wife and producing partner Deborah Snyder concludes, "in the end, it's about this girl's survival and what she needs to do to be able to cope."[8] In November 2010, Warner Bros. released the official synopsis for the film.[9]

Set in the 1950s, Babydoll (Emily Browning), who was sent to a mental institution in Brattleboro, Vermont by her step-father, has only her dreams and vivid imagination to provide an escape from her dark reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, blurring the lines between what's real and what is imaginary.

Although she has been locked away, Babydoll has not lost her will to survive. Determined to fight for her freedom, she urges four other young girls-the outspoken Rocket (Jena Malone), the street-smart Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens), the fiercely loyal Amber (Jamie Chung), and the reluctant Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish)—to band together and try to escape from their captors, Blue (Oscar Isaac), Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino) and the High Roller (Jon Hamm).

Led by Babydoll, the girls engage in fantastical warfare against everything from samurai to serpents, with a virtual arsenal at their disposal. Together, they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to stay alive. But with the help of The Wise Man (Scott Glenn), their journey—if they succeed—will set them "free."

Yeah, I think I'll skip that one.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: March 25, 2011 02:56PM

I like how the movie takes place in the 1950s, but somehow the girl is able to fantasize herself shooting weapons that didn't appear until the 2000s.

-
Attachments:
sucker-punch-trailer.jpg

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: March 25, 2011 02:58PM

I like how that blimp looks like a giant dong
Attachments:
blimpdong.JPG

Posted by: GAYDAR ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:02PM

Gonads & Strife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like how that blimp looks like a giant dong

I BET YOU DO

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:07PM

I saw a sneak peek/long trailer last night and thought "wow. That looks awful and like it won't make much sense. And what dumb name for a movie that looks like it has nothing to do with actual sucker punches"

Date: March 25, 2011 03:10PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> And what dumb name for a movie
> that looks like it has nothing to do with actual
> sucker punches"

Sucker Punch is named for that Doh! moment you will get when you realize you wasted all that time and money watching this shit fest.

Date: March 25, 2011 03:10PM

I have to give them credit. It only cost $82 million to make. It looks like a much costlier piece of shit in the trailer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: laskdjfal;si ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:14PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> I saw a sneak peek/long trailer last night and
> thought "wow. That looks awful and like it won't
> make much sense. And what dumb name for a movie
> that looks like it has nothing to do with actual
> sucker punches"

I think it refers to the "mental sucker punch" the audience member receives as they walk out of the theater and realize that two hours of their life was wasted.

Theaters should hire someone to sucker punch movie-goers as they walk into the movie so that the pain of that will numb the pain of watching the movie.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: March 25, 2011 06:16PM

I'd like to see Hudgens with a gun, but the only way I'll watch that movie is if someone else checks it out first.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: March 25, 2011 06:25PM

DVD rental. That's what I thought about 300 too. And I was right.

Date: March 25, 2011 06:29PM

As I watched this trailer I saw the following:

WWII era bombers
blimps
modern assault rifles
samurai swords
a post-apocolyptic wasteland
A huge planet
bi-planes
robots
a giant with a gatling gun and...

A fucking dragon.

It looks like a fucking stew where you just throw everything you have in your pantry into a crockpot and pray it tastes edible.

NO. THANKS.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: March 25, 2011 07:31PM

Not to mention the trailer mixes Led Zeppelin with Silversun Pickups. Not right.

Date: March 25, 2011 07:45PM

It's like a CGI scavenger hunt. "You need to find 5 items. A map. Fire. Then a knife. Then some dog hair. And finally something bigger than a breadbox, but smaller than a microwave."

Date: March 25, 2011 07:51PM

The guy that did Clash of the Titans is responsible for this movie. 'nuff said.

Posted by: MrMystery ()
Date: March 25, 2011 08:27PM

eesh Wrote:
> The guy that did Clash of the Titans is
> responsible for this movie. 'nuff said...................movie critiques from a gay whose favourite film is about a crazy doctor sewing someone's mouth to another person's ass? 'Nuff said', indeed!

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: March 26, 2011 05:06AM

MrMystery Wrote:
> eesh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The guy that did Clash of the Titans is
> > responsible for this movie. 'nuff
> said...................movie critiques from a gay
> whose favourite film is about a crazy doctor
> sewing someone's mouth to another person's ass?
> 'Nuff said', indeed!... It's gettin kinda old, bra... You're totally jumping the shark rite noew..

Signatures are for fags

Date: March 26, 2011 08:20AM

I love the qualifier, "It's all in her mind." Just an excuse to throw a lot of shit on the screen and hope something works. But it never does."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:19AM

i enjoyed it. people trashed it because it didnt have the classic happy Hollywood ending. the critics trashed it because they dont like fantasy and they trash everything with "unrealistic physics".

the movie is more like what an anime would be like if you used people that looked like real people. i will be getting it on bluray for my own collection.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.