HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anti-Tea Party Coffee Party Can't Keep It Together!
Posted by: BOREdamental ()
Date: March 25, 2011 11:44AM

Schism brews in Coffee Party -

The Coffee Party, which launched last year to mild public curiosity in reaction to the Tea Party wave, has receded from public view -- in part because of a schism between its centrist leadership and some left-leaning grassroots.

The movement, co-founded by filmmaker named Annabel Park, was initially seen as a progressive alternative to the Tea Party.

As Newsweek reported of an early meeting, members "were angry. They hated the Tea Party, and the Republican Party. They wanted to get even."

Park, however, says she intended the group to be centrist and non-partisan. She at one point weighed legal action to prevent the left-leaning faction from using their copyrighted logo after Darrell Bouldin, a Tennessee-based activist, started an offshoot called "Coffee Party Progressives."

Park wrote him last April, according to an email he forwarded POLITICO:

"I'm really unhappy with what I'm seeing on your fan page. We really need to talk about this. Why don't you join other progressive organizations to achieve your goals. We are trying to take people beyond partisan politics to solutions which are not born with partisan labels.

"I feel the name Coffee Party attracted so many people because they assumed it was a reaction to the Tea Party and a progressive counter. I get comments, emails, and etc. On this point all the time. I think this is how the Coffee Party got the numbers but why now so many are inactive," Bouldin wrote in an exchange with one of the Coffee Party state coordinators explaining why he wanted to remain active with the group a few moths later.

"The Tea Party's strength is in multiple organizations and groups around similar principles thugh they are astroturf and have radical elements on the bottom," Bouldin argued. "So a truly grassroots movement with multiple groups & organizations is even more possible for us. Coffee Party USA should not supress that."

"From the beginning of the movement I made it clear that the Coffee Party is a nonpartisan movement," Park told POLITICO. "I never quite understood why they wanted to continue using the Coffee Party name."

Park also said that the only legal action the organization considered was making sure that Coffee Party Progressives were not using the Coffee Party's trademarked logo -- which they weren't, and that she was not seeking to enforce the trademark (which they own) to the Coffee Party name.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anti-Tea Party Coffee Party Can't Keep It Together!
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 25, 2011 11:50AM

Gee, I thought this thing was going to be huge and take off like Betamax or something.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: IN SOVIET RUSSIA ()
Date: March 25, 2011 11:57AM

IN MOTHER RUSSIA, WE HAVE "KOMBUCHA" PARTY.

Posted by: Iseethecoffeeparty ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:04PM

I have a neighbor who used to really spout off about his belonging to the "Coffee Party" and if he's the stereotype member they're in trouble. 40 years old, Masters degree, can't hold a job because he's always bitching about something trivial. His wife is fed up with supporting him and listening to his rants. He only seems to
want free stuff from the government so I usually just ignore him.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:14PM

Well I'm what many in this day and age would consider a flaming liberal and I've never heard of this Coffee Party thing, or if I did I don't remember it. It are stupid. Tying to one-up them just plays up the Tea Party.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:22PM

Obviously the 5 hour energy campaign had something to do with coffees downfall... you've seen the commercials. fast and easy. coffee requires too much time and i just hate struggling with preparing it. all that cream and sugar. what a mess!

Posted by: GONADS & RACISM ()
Date: March 25, 2011 12:34PM

YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE CREAM AND SUGAR ARE WHITE, YOU RACIST !

Date: March 25, 2011 12:36PM

GONADS & RACISM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE CREAM AND SUGAR
> ARE WHITE, YOU RACIST !

excuse me, but i use BROWN sugar in my coffee (not really). just because i don't take my coffee the way you take your men is no reason to call me a racist! how's that email address you've been using workin' out for ya?

Posted by: GOT JEALOUSY ? ()
Date: March 25, 2011 01:57PM

G & S wrote :
---------------------------
> "how's that email address you've been using workin' out for ya?"

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU B-ASS-TURD !!!!!
JEALOUS MUCH ?

Date: March 25, 2011 01:59PM

Jealousy is a pillar of the Green party, which is not represented in this thread.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.