HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Snakes
Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: August 17, 2005 12:59PM

Has anyone ever found a snake climbing their walls around here? I went home last night and one was slithering slowly up a 2 inch indent beside the front door. If I had reached out for my door, I'd have grabbed onto a snake and would've had to change my shorts.

Does anyone else have snakes around their house? How do you control them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snakes
Posted by: Cm ()
Date: August 17, 2005 01:36PM

We have at least one snake in our neighborhood. It controls the rat population. I like the snake.

Date: August 17, 2005 01:38PM

how big is he? where are you located?

Posted by: E. Leet ()
Date: August 17, 2005 02:45PM

PaperPusher,

It could just be a corn snake. They are good snakes like Cm said they help with the rodent population.

Growing up on a corn/soy farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, we had a corn snake that grew to 9' long and lived in our shed. One day, my dad was backing the riding lawn mower out of the shed and the snake dropped on him. My dad screamed like a little girl then ran into the house to get his .38 then came back out and blasted the snake to bits.

Being on the Miles River, we also had our share of water moccassins and copperheads. These I would plink off with my .22 rifle during my pre- to early teens then scoop 'em up with a crab net and leave on the end of the dock for the ospreys to feed their young.

I would say you and my dad are in the same camp where snakes are concerned! I would pay good money for a time machine and video camera to catch that scream and the whole event on tape.

Cheers!

Date: August 17, 2005 03:05PM

you're right, I'm like your dad but my little girl was with me so I had to maintain my composure. I'm in the Alexandria section of Fairfax county which I'd consider "in the city" and am surrounded by other homes. My issue with the whole thing is, why my house and why my FRONT DOOR!!?

I'm considering having a priest sprinkle some holy water or something out there in case it was the fucking devil himself.

Posted by: johnnye ()
Date: August 17, 2005 11:15PM

Just get/catch him out of his hole and then shut all entrances in. They're more active in summer so now is the best time to do it. If its not a copperhead you have nothing to worry about.

/edit Oh yea, what color, how long, etc? If it was climbing I'd say it isnt a copperhead but I'm not the expert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2005 11:17PM by johnnye.

Date: August 18, 2005 12:04AM

don't know where his hole is. He was about 4 to 5 feet long and either brown or black

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: August 18, 2005 12:55AM

I've been wondering about this, I'm new to the area from across the country and live in a wooded area with lots of toads and deer so I venture there are a good amount of snakes too. What are the poisonous ones besides the rattlers? (They were quite abundant in CA as well). If I see a non-poisionious I won't care but I'd like to know which one might kill me or one of the dogs. Thanks.

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: August 18, 2005 09:52AM

Posted by: I'm PaperPusher ()
Date: August 18, 2005 12:21PM

Randy, this is a great site. I'm convinced that what I saw was a ratsnake that was probably climbing to catch birds nesting under my gutter. He was being resourceful to climb up any way he possibly could and that just happened to be the area beside my front door.

I still don't like snakes and if I get the chance, there'll be one less ratsnake in the world.

Posted by: Don & Mike Loyal Listener ()
Date: August 25, 2005 08:23AM

The only snakes in Fairfax count are Cary and Stidman!

Date: August 25, 2005 11:25AM

glad you got to sample the notion that this site is NOT about that radio show. It's about other stuff and Freda's death was a fluke that gravitated to this site.

Posted by: Dr. Phil Harmonic ()
Date: September 24, 2005 09:36PM

Copperheads, mostly.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 26, 2005 12:53PM

this sounds like one of those good reasons to own a gun. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 19, 2012 03:51PM

you can tell a venomous snake from a non venomous snake....poison snakes have slit eyes like a cat. non Venomous have rounded eyes.

Posted by: not always ()
Date: January 25, 2016 07:27PM

I think there might be an exception to that rule.

Posted by: one eyed snake ()
Date: January 25, 2016 07:40PM

In the USA all venomous snakes have triangular heads. Unless you count the venomous sea snakes that washed up on a Cali beach recently

Posted by: one eyed snake ()
Date: January 25, 2016 07:42PM

one eyed snake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the USA all venomous snakes have triangular
> heads. Unless you count the venomous sea snakes
> that washed up on a Cali beach recently

Except the coral snake

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.