HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Got a call from 818-824-6112 just now
Posted by: Caller ID ()
Date: January 25, 2011 11:59AM

Was an illegal telemarketer recording trying to sell me insurance for something medical-related, maybe a burial!

Anywho, if YOU get a call from someplace like this, you can Google the number and usually get at least a couple hits on sites where people have posted a report or two about the same number.

One of the "classic" illegal telemarketers is something like "Jennifer from credit services"; I don't know what that recording is trying to sell however the number(s) that Caller ID have reported as the From phone are invariably some innocent third party's number.

Caller ID spoofing, BTW, "gets" a lot of folks; they think their Caller ID can NOT be wrong so assume - STRONGLY assume - that whatever number Caller ID reports IS the Bad Guy. It si no fun to be the owner of such a number.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got a call from 818-824-6112 just now
Posted by: Ryno78 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 09:13PM

That call originated from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:30PM

'they' tried to scam me via text message once. i received a text from xxxxx airlines saying that my "CARD" is being canceled and i need to renew it. i almost believed it because i had an up and coming flight but i never had a card for xxxxx airlines and the flight i booked was on yyyyy airlines. im sure they could catch people off guard with this technique. if they had the right airlines i would have investigated further to find out what was going on. crazy times out there eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 10:30PM by bloody blisters.

Posted by: Spoofed Number ()
Date: January 26, 2011 07:35AM

Ryno78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That call originated from the San Fernando Valley
> in Los Angeles

It =may= have originated there; that's the problem when these bad guys spoof Caller ID - you CANNOT tell where a call is coming from AND even the phone company cannot tell because the spoofing is done in an infrastructure location that disallows backtrace.

[I had someone use my home number as the spoofed Caller ID number when they made numerous calls to a few people; those people called the Caller ID number, of course, and either accused me (or a family member) of making the calls or asked "Why did you call?". It took awhile to figure out what was happening and was a major disappointment when the phone company said they literally couldn't do anything about it. You can Google for "spoof" and see both commercial sellers of same and explanations of what it is and why it's untraceable]

Date: January 26, 2011 07:46AM

I keep getting texts in Spanish asking me to respond to a phone number. I know it is a scam, but I wonder why I keep getting these things in Spanish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: conVince ()
Date: January 26, 2011 08:00AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I keep getting texts in Spanish asking me to
> respond to a phone number. I know it is a scam,
> but I wonder why I keep getting these things in
> Spanish.

You were such a hardcore supporter of Vince(1) I suspected the two of you may have "met up" occasionally, are you sure it isn't him?

------------------------------------

twitter @EyeAmU

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.