HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Jack LaLanne - Dead
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:15AM

No amount of fitness in the world can defeat the Reaper.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/01/23/obit.jack.lalanne/index.html?hpt=T2

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jack LaLanne - Dead
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:38AM

Jack LaLanne might be dead, but his juicers will live forever.

Posted by: Aunold ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:45AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No amount of fitness in the world can defeat the
> Reaper.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gos
> sip/01/23/obit.jack.lalanne/index.html?hpt=T2

That really does suck. I heard about it just before bed time last nite. I was hoping he'd make it to at least a hundred because he was the one who started the whole fitness thing. He died of pneumonia, why didn't all the anti-oxidants protect him from that shit? He was the fittest, healthiest man in the world; his body was a temple, he should have lived to 120. I don't understand and am very disappointed. Maybe the government is right and I'm wasting my money on vitamins. :(

Posted by: Pump It ()
Date: January 24, 2011 08:06AM

Damn.

I grew up with him.

Come to think of it, so did my father.

Come to think of it, so did my daughter.

Fitness works, huh?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 24, 2011 08:20AM

Aunold Wrote:
>
> he should have lived to 120.

The lesson here isn't that you'll live to be 120 if you diet and exercise. If you take a look at his life, you'll see that most of the crazy fitness stunts he accomplished he performed while he was in his 40s, 50s, and 60s. The dude was in his fifties and doing 1,000 pull ups and swimming crazy distances while handcuffed. His life doesn't prove that you'll live forever by staying healthy, but it shows that you don't have to get all fat and out of shape once you hit a certain age.

Date: January 24, 2011 10:16AM

Jack LaLanne worked out his whole life and lived to be 96.

George Burns smoked cigars and drank martinis every day and lived to be 100.

Hmm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Brown Eye Blind ()
Date: January 24, 2011 10:58AM

Would now be an inappropriate time to insert a reference to Lazarus and a joke about dead lifting?

Posted by: westy ()
Date: January 24, 2011 11:49AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Jack LaLanne worked out his whole life and lived
> to be 96.
>
> George Burns smoked cigars and drank martinis
> every day and lived to be 100.
>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When its time its time. The great equalizer in the sky is all that matters. Genetics to a certain degree, diet maybe, exercise a possibilty. But in the end for all of us. Its a tie ballgame.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:21PM

Yeah, but at 96 he still looked good for an old guy. I have to say though, I did think he was going to be like the Energizer Bunny.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Brown Eye Blind ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:29PM

true dat dawg. He appeared to be pretty active until the end and definitely never slowed down. How many people in their mid-60's and early 70's are out there towing boats?

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Yeah, but at 96 he still looked good for an old
> guy. I have to say though, I did think he was
> going to be like the Energizer Bunny.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:38PM

Jack LaLanne in his 70's was probably in better shape than 90% of the US population that are in their 20's today.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:38PM

RIP this guy. 96 is a pretty good run and I think his 96 was of some of the highest quality years you can imagine.

I knew a someone who worked at one of his gyms in the Bay Are about 25 years ago and said he and the wife were really good people. I know there are some who'll say he was all about hype and self-promotion, but I don't see how that's unexpected in his line of work.

I'll put an 75 year old LaLanne against any lardass of any age who thinks snarky anonymous online comments is a life of quality. This man should be a role model in this world.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: carlton ()
Date: January 24, 2011 01:21PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Jack LaLanne in his 70's was probably in better
> shape than 90% of the US population that are in
> their 20's today.
==================================================================================

Jack was fortunate that he lived, worked and preached that lifestyle. I mean fitness was Jack Lalanne, it was synonymous. What I admired about the guy was his sincere enthusiasm he had for what he did. He would have done that for nothing if he had to. I mean no pay>

Posted by: americanbybirth ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:13PM

He was in perfect health until he got sick. He probably was 20 years younger than his actual age But gee, he went without dessert since he was 17? Thats no way to live! I hope I can make it to 90 with some cookies in hand.

Date: January 24, 2011 02:15PM

americanbybirth Wrote:
> He was in perfect health until he got sick. He
> probably was 20 years younger than his actual age
> But gee, he went without dessert since he was 17?
> Thats no way to live! I hope I can make it to 90
> with some cookies in hand.

George Burns ate chocolate chip cookies for dessert every day.

Yes, he looked like a chimp when he died. But he was a happy chimp.

george+burns+cigar+1980s.jpg

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: webber ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:17PM

I agree, you have to take time to smell the roses in this life. Living the stoic existence, is fine if you don't have the resources, but that sucker was loaded. But then I quess you can apply the arqument he lived doing what he loved best. How many of us can say that?

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:26PM

People with shitty lifestyles and unhealthy habits are always the ones with the best jokes to excuse their weaknesses. The happy drunk or dope fiend always has a little funny one-liner that seems to make the way they're living their life OK. So does the fatass who eats too much.

People who live really physically active and healthy lifestyles like LaLanne can abstain from doughnuts and soda pop and not miss it, they have a very diffrent perspective on what they enjoy in life.

Life is all about personal choices and freedoms, but it's pretty funny to see someone like LaLanne criticized by unhealthy losers who are gimping through life in fornt of LCD screens all day.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Christy ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:42PM

His life style wasnot perfect. He was busted a few types for DUI, or thats what they claim. Reveals a little about the real person when you hear facts like this.
Ole Jack was first and foremost a salesman, much like Ron Popiel and the "juiceman", whatever the fuck his name was. His schtick was fitness and it paid off paving the way for guys like Jake and the sissy fuck who sells his wares on QVC.

Posted by: reddog ()
Date: January 24, 2011 05:23PM

Both him and Steve Reeves were my mentors. RIP

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.