HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
PBS American Experience - Robert E. Lee
Posted by: nigger judge ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:13AM

Did any of you depraved mature grown-ups catch that program last night? If you did, what do you think of the way he was portrayed? Do you think it was accurate? or twisted to fit a modern political agenda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PBS American Experience - Robert E. Lee
Posted by: Wahhh ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:28AM

I thought it was well done, except for that whole dream sequence in which Lee was fellated by Mary Todd Lincoln. No way that shit happened but it supposedly came from Lee's diaries.

Posted by: Dred Scott ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:36AM

Well aw do declayah, deh honky massuh mus be put in he place. A man cant live on chitlins alone. when he be pikkin cottin awll day long. And den be beetin wit deh wip o deh roothles toothles honky massuh and his massuh, General Lee. Deh leader of dem dare honky massuhs. We need to put an end to it. An dat dare massuh Eric Holder gonna lead dat charge against dem evil honky massuhs. Finally aw get mah retribution

Date: January 04, 2011 11:14AM

I didn't watch it, but have read a lot about Lee. He was a complicated man. A great military mind who had occasionally lucid moments of compassion, but no Saint and his ego resulted in Pickett's Charge. The reality of the South's failure was probably a greater punishment to him than anything a Military Tribunal could have doled out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Yankee Carpetbagger ()
Date: January 04, 2011 01:06PM

I think the program painted a very incomplete picture of the man (left out about 90% of the truth), and focused on just about as much negative as they could possibly squeeze out of it by tilting the context towards the asshole (a little lawyering trick). But in the end, I think it's all fine and dandy, can't let the South rise again, don't let them rebel hoodlums take over and divide the country with their Rebel Yells and their Dukes of Hazard reruns like those scared little Tea Party animals that think the Federal Reserve is currently occupied by a bunch southern sympathizers and the Supreme Court is being taken over by the KKK. I say, "Bully!"

Posted by: Wahhh ()
Date: January 04, 2011 01:25PM

Yankee Carpetbagger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the program painted a very incomplete
> picture of the man (left out about 90% of the
> truth), and focused on just about as much negative
> as they could possibly squeeze out of it by
> tilting the context towards the asshole (a little
> lawyering trick). But in the end, I think it's
> all fine and dandy, can't let the South rise
> again, don't let them rebel hoodlums take over and
> divide the country with their Rebel Yells and
> their Dukes of Hazard reruns like those scared
> little Tea Party animals that think the Federal
> Reserve is currently occupied by a bunch southern
> sympathizers and the Supreme Court is being taken
> over by the KKK. I say, "Bully!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 01:28PM by Wahhh.

Posted by: MassRoberts ()
Date: January 04, 2011 01:50PM

I dont care for the Confederacy in of itself, but I respect General Lee. He was well liked on both sides. A good man. A Christian man. He did what he felt was the right thing by defending his native home, and I think that it would be difficult for anyone to turn their back on their own people. Lee was morally opposed to slavery, and he also was the first to take communion along side the Negroes, at a time when it was unheard of . He really was very progressive in many ways.

Date: January 04, 2011 02:22PM

Robert E. Lee did take communion with a freed slave after the war. However, there is ample evidence that shows he was indifferent to slavery when it was legal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Colonel Sanders ()
Date: January 04, 2011 03:52PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> there is ample
> evidence that shows he was indifferent to slavery
> when it was legal.

That is a 2oth-21st Century ignorant interpretation, with all the trappings of modern technological conveniences to influence your holier than thou superior 'morality' and is a very common dogma adopted by so called 'Historians' these days as they attempt to rewrite history to fit their indignant sense of superior morality to the 19th century good Christian slave owner who were robbed of their property and never paid back by the murderous blue bellys

Date: January 04, 2011 03:54PM

Colonel Sanders Wrote:
> WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > there is ample
> > evidence that shows he was indifferent to
> slavery
> > when it was legal.
>
>
> That is a 2oth-21st Century ignorant
> interpretation, with all the trappings of modern
> technological conveniences to influence your
> holier than thou superior 'morality' and is a very
> common dogma adopted by so called 'Historians'
> these days as they attempt to rewrite history to
> fit their indignant sense of superior morality to
> the 19th century good Christian slave owner who
> were robbed of their property and never paid back
> by the murderous blue bellys

Lee was a man of his time. Lincoln also apparently told racist jokes and threw the N-word around. The idea that Lee would have openly professed abolitionist sentiments before or during the war and then would have been put in charge of the Confederate Army is laughable.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.