HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
If there no inflation how come
Posted by: Oh my whats that ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:32AM

How come the cost of my diet pepsi has exploded over the last year?
How come the cost of razor blades has exploded over the last year?
do they count product shrinkage as a price increase?
How come the cost of fruits and veggies seems to be teetering on ridiculous? should I really shop at H-Mart
How come the jr. bacon hamburgers at wendy's cost more and are smaller
are we sheep to the cost of gas? Have the oil companies used any of the profits to build new refineries?
the cost of draft beer at one of my usual bars went up from .99cents to 1.50 during the happiest of hours
increase in my condo fee

in my world seems like inflation is rampant

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If there no inflation how come
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:08PM

A lot of commodity items play catch up with inflation or costs. Retailers and producers often attempt to absorb costs in the near term in the hopes that price surges on inputs (fuel, corn, soy, etc., for example) will come back down. The short term hit that they take ensures that customers don't experience sticker shock.

However, at some point, producers decide that prices on certain commodities aren't coming down and they decide that the goodwill period is over, and they need to raise prices to recover costs - fuel being a perfect example of this.

Product downsizing is one way they do this. Product price is the same, but the items are smaller in volume. Perfect examples of this are cereal and ice cream. Cereal boxes used to be 16 or 18 ounces; now you see 12 or 14 ounce boxes. Ice cream used to be 1/2 gallon containers (2 quarts); now its often 1.75 quarts.

Soda is tougher to deal with because everyone is used to a 12 ounce can or a 20 ounce bottle. I havent seen anyone move to a 11 or 10 ounce can. The only bottle I see are specialized 8 ounce Coke bottles which are designed to mimic the glass bottles of the 1960s and 1970s.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:25PM

And don't forget that the government positively spins the number by leaving out food and fuel in the inflation calculation. Who fucking cares if the price of a 42" plasma has actually gone down if gas is up 50% and food is up 30%.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 11, 2010 09:30PM

CPI - based on BLS calculations - is a amalgam of multiple items - including fuel and food. Economists and statisticians often exclude fuel as its a significant variable item - change 10, 20, 30 percent over a few months.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 11, 2010 10:01PM

ITRADE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CPI - based on BLS calculations - is a amalgam of
> multiple items

+1, I wish people could possibly understand these things, but it is much easier to spend time reading about Miley Cyrus and a bong than educate oneself in how inflation numbers are calculated.

Posted by: Allan Greenspan ()
Date: December 12, 2010 09:47AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> And don't forget that the government positively
> spins the number by leaving out food and fuel in
> the inflation calculation. Who fucking cares if
> the price of a 42" plasma has actually gone down
> if gas is up 50% and food is up 30%.

So there's deflation for the rich (Taxes, 42" plasmas and costs of labor down; WAY DOWN) and inflation for the dwindling middle-class ass that helps support the rich, by bailing them out so THEY don't have to suffer for their fuck ups, they just pass the pain on to the middle-class's offspring so their offspring can go to private schools, take vacations to outer space(eventually), and freeze their brains so they don't never have to die. ..The fucking pigs

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: December 12, 2010 12:11PM

justsayin Wrote:
>
> +1, I wish people could possibly understand these
> things, but it is much easier to spend time
> reading about Miley Cyrus and a bong than educate
> oneself in how inflation numbers are calculated.

Many people do UNDERSTAND these things, but when your cost of living is going up 5 to 10% a year it is hard to believe that someone isn't playing with the books.

Frankly I always found the notion of a CPI to be meaningless. It isn't price changes generally that matter to most of us; it is changes in the prices of the goods and services that we purchase that matter. For example when real estate prices were rocketing to the stars, the effect of those prices differed depending on whether you were an existing homeowner, a home buyer who financed at lower interest rates, a home buyer who paid cash or a renter. Same is true of the decline in real estate prices. The fact that the computer, refrigerator or other durable good that I purchased last year is available cheaper today doesn't matter, because I am not going to purchase another one this year. And when you have to shift to a higher priced substitute because a manufacturer stopped making (or your local retailer stopped selling) a product that you used, it does not matter what that substitute good cost last year.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: December 12, 2010 12:13PM

Who said there's no inflation?

Posted by: Your Boss ()
Date: December 12, 2010 12:46PM

tomahawk Wrote:
> Who said there's no inflation?

Your managers and Human Resources at your work location. By simply pulling this maneuver, they don't have to pay any raises - or, just have to give you small ones.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 12:54PM

Why do people spend a dollar or more for a bottle of water but bitch about three dollar's for a gal of gas

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.