HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Job in Fredericksburg
Posted by: High HD Man ()
Date: December 10, 2010 12:18PM

Anyone qualify around here?

MWH seeking 2 heart surgeons

Heart surgeon has resigned; Mary Washington seeks two replacements

Date published: 12/10/2010

BY JIM HALL

Mary Washington Hospital is in the market for a new heart surgeon. In fact, it's looking for two of them.

Dr. Pyongsoo Yoon, the hospital's only cardiac surgeon, has resigned. Yoon told hospital officials in August that he wanted to leave Mary Washington. Hospital officials confirmed his resignation this week.

Yoon, 50, will continue to care for cardiac surgery patients until March 1.

"Our commitment to our cardiac surgery program remains strong. There will be no interruption in services or care," said Kathleen Allenbaugh, hospital spokeswoman.

Allenbaugh said hospital officials are interviewing candidates to replace Yoon and to fill the vacancy created when Dr. John Armitage departed in May.

Yoon said last night that he plans to move to Memphis to become the chief of cardiac surgery at Methodist University Hospital, part of the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. He also will be co-director of its Cardiovascular Institute.

Yoon arrived at Mary Washington last year from Forum Health in Youngstown, Ohio. He became director of Mary Washington's heart surgery program when Armitage left.

Yoon said he moved to Fredericksburg to be closer to his family in Northern Virginia. He was raised there and graduated from T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria.

Yoon said he's been working under a five-year contract that required either side to give six months notice to end early.

"I actually gave them seven months notice," he said last night in a phone interview.

He described his tenure at Mary Washington as a "challenging time."

"It just didn't fit," he said. "It didn't feel quite right. I didn't feel like it was a match made in heaven for my personality. So I started looking at other options."

Yoon is an employee of Mary Washington and one of the highest-paid employee-doctors at the hospital. He earned $542,907 in 2009, according the 990 tax return that the hospital files with the IRS each year.

The hospital contracted with the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville to supply back-up coverage for Yoon after Armitage left.

Dr. Gorav Ailawadi and Dr. John Kern fill in for Yoon when he is away. The U.Va. surgeons work 24-hour shifts when they are on duty. Their presence allows the hospital to continue to offer a full-time heart surgery program and to offer backup to the cardiac catheterization program. Mary Washington has the region's only heart surgery program.

Allenbaugh said the hospital hopes to have at least one of the replacement physicians in place when Yoon leaves.

"That is our goal," she said. "However, we also want to make sure we bring the right physician into the community. If for some reason we don't have a new cardiac surgeon in place, then the U.Va. Health System will provide full-time, around-the-clock cardiac surgeons."

Jim Hall: 540/374-5433
Email: jhall@freelancestar.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Job in Fredericksburg
Date: December 10, 2010 12:23PM

Thanks. I'll put my application in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Salary is only one component ()
Date: December 10, 2010 03:32PM

Sure, a salary of $460,000 seems impressive. But, also look at the malpractice insurance premiums that the surgeon is paying. I'm sure the payments are nearly equal to one half of their salary.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: December 10, 2010 03:54PM

I'm not a heart surgeon, but I do stay at Holiday Inn Expresses when out of town.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.