HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hey iPhone geeks
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 08, 2007 06:51PM

Any of you guys ever have any trouble on your iPhone with outgoing emails? I have my SMTP configured to the cwmx.com SMTP server, that's the AT&T EDGE server (I think). Well, I just set this up, have no trouble POP'ing meessages of the Cox server, but I can't get this fucker to send mail thru cwmx.com. I've been googling all over to see what I'm doing wrong, but it's like trying to sift thru a gigantic pile of shit. There are some bright people here and I thought maybe one of you could point me in the right direction to help me get this thing working. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey iPhone geeks
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 09, 2007 05:36AM

cox blocks port 25 (smtp). the only place you can connect to with port 25 is to cox.net or whatever. it's a measure to prevent spam which i actually agree with.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 09, 2007 09:14AM

I was trying to connect to the AT&T server, not Cox.

BTW, I got it to work by turning off SSL. I'm not sure what SSL really does but now it works fine.

Date: September 12, 2007 12:22PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, I got it to work by turning off SSL. I'm not
> sure what SSL really does but now it works fine.

i just realized i assumed it did data over wifi. my comment is then invalid, my bad.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: September 12, 2007 01:05PM

> i just realized i assumed it did data over wifi.

I haven't actually used it for wifi yet but the phone sure picks up on alot of access points while i'm carrying it around. I bet alot of the wifi connections work faster than the ATT network, I might have to become a bandwidth thief.

Date: September 12, 2007 03:14PM

oh... but be warned, iphone checks your email and stuff no matter where you are. this guy got screwed.

Date: September 12, 2007 03:37PM

this guy got screwed.

pWn3d, LOL

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.